E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #501
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Huge subsidies for profitable corporations = good.

Subsidizing fledgling tech that has the potential to get us off the oil teat = a waste.

I think I understand.
I guess for someone who has never worked around development or a manfacturing environment you wouldn't understand. That's okay.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #502
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Huge subsidies for profitable corporations = good.

Subsidizing fledgling tech that has the potential to get us off the oil teat = a waste.

I think I understand.
Can't have it both ways. According to you, it's ok if the government picks only losers? I'd prefer to get them out of the game altogether, but you seem to like the fact that the government is trying to artificially create demand where there is none, costing the taxpayers billions of down the toilet money. When electric anything makes sense, companies will be all over it on their own.

Just gonna wait for you to bring up the internet.

So lets play a game, how much money did exxon get from the feds? How many people does exxon employ? How much tax revenue does the government get from retail gas sales? How much money do states make from the gas and shops?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #503
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
How much money did we blow in Iraq over the last ten years?

Hint: Enough to cover every green industry failure EVERY DAY.

Some of you don't care to invest in the future as long as your corporate masters continue to pay you. I don't have a problem with that, so why do you continue to beat down attempts to perfect viable new energy sources? Would you have been one of the douches that vilified early automobile manufacturers? Yes, you would have sat on your horse-drawn buggy and pointed fingers at the men who dared to try something new.

You Luddites crack me up.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 04-10-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #504
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:

Some of you don't care to invest in the future as long as your corporate masters continue to pay you. I don't have a problem with that, so why do you continue to beat down attempts to perfect viable new energy sources? Would you have been one of the douches that vilified early automobile manufacturers? Yes, you would have sat on your horse-drawn buggy and pointed fingers at the men who dared to try something new.

Not sure why one is associated with the other? The green stuff is all well and good but climate gate has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths for one.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #505
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:

As a man of science I'm all for new technology. However what happened with the green programs was poor management and a large consumption of tax dollars. In the corporate world if your developments are bringing in the profits very little is said about the development budget as long as it is justifiable but if a company is not getting the results it seeks the budget will be decreased and heads might roll.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #506
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
As a man of science I'm all for new technology. However what happened with the green programs was poor management and a large consumption of tax dollars. In the corporate world if your developments are bringing in the profits very little is said about the development budget as long as it is justifiable but if a company is not getting the results it seeks the budget will be decreased and heads might roll.
But, this has always been the case. There were plenty (billions and billions, and this was back when a billion was a billion) of "space race" and "cold war" and "star wars" tax dollars that went into companies that went belly up or never delivered results or products. It is the way it works when you fund/invest in research and technology.

This is not to say that some of these "green companies" weren't mismanaged. But, to think that this is anything new is silly. And one never knows. Some poorly managed company might have found one patent that won't be of value for 10 years, but, could be a major factor in a decade. Only time will tell if these tax dollars were truly wasted. Maybe...maybe not.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote