E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #41
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
... Next I eyed up the toe as best I could for a test drive this weekend. cant wait.
Can't wait to hear about the results from your test drive!!!
2004 TiAg ///M l BC Racing BR Coilovers l Navigation | BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | OEM black interior retrofit | Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
evilpinkeye

My Ride: E46 M3
Awesome work man! Picked up the same car a month or so ago and already in about $1.5k worth of work into it lol
evilpinkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
amazing thread!

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP
Progress Thread
2filthy Podcast (HOUSE MUSIC)
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #44
PITT M3 RR

Thanks guys - I can already tell the font is too low. The fender looks like its eating the stock 18S. Il add some camber and raise it a bit until I buy a set up. Im going for an aggressive wheel / tire combo to fill it out. I'm thinking wider Zcps or anyone have any ideas.

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM
PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #45
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
can't go wrong with any of the VMR wheels, I just ordered a set of hyper black VMR VB3's for my carbon black m3.

So read through this whole thread... great work man.

Question: I just had my RTAB's replaced with brand new stock, as I had read the AM polys were more for tracking. Was this a monumental fkup on a car thats about to hit the 100K mile mark? Or since I don't have subframe issues and the old ones are gone, I should be ok for xxx miles?

Edit: That discussion looks to be about subframe bushings... my bad.

Last edited by dabears; 04-10-2013 at 04:39 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #46
PITT M3 RR

So I pulled it off of jackstands, fired it up, backed out, took it off of storage insurace and went for a spin!

Observations were a klunk from the middle of the car during some shifts, so I have to get up under there and check for loose anything, but other than that the car felt great, rear is stff as could be!.

My EML light did come on, then went off, then came on with the SES light so Ill check up there too!

All in all as expected for all the work and that long of a time. I put about 45 miles on it total and washed it. Im pulling it back in to re-torque everything as youre supposed too and I will report back with the noise solution and SES light.

As for the bushings and mounts...NVH is definitely enhanced..at idle it's raw, crusing is very comfortable, but you can def tell theres poly in there. The diff barely whines, I forgot to listen for it and only heard it once I remembered. All in all I am happy with how it feels. Ill be tightening everything up and going back out tomorrow. Camber will be adjusted as well. Looks like I am at -4 haha

PICS...

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 04-14-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #47
Properstyle

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
So I pulled it off of jackstands, fired it up, backed out, took it off of storage insurace and went for a spin!

Observations were a klunk from the middle of the car during some shifts, so I have to get up under there and check for loose anything, but other than that the car felt great, rear is stff as could be!.

My EML light did come on, then went off, then came on with the SES light so Ill check up there too!

All in all as expected for all the work and that long of a time. I put about 45 miles on it total and washed it. Im pulling it back in to re-torque everything as youre supposed too and I will report back with the noise solution and SES light.

As for the bushings and mounts...NVH is definitely enhanced..at idle it's raw, crusing is very comfortable, but you can def tell theres poly in there. The diff barely whines, I forgot to listen for it and only heard it once I remembered. All in all I am happy with how it feels. Ill be tightening everything up and going back out tomorrow. Camber will be adjusted as well. Looks like I am at -4 haha

PICS...

Great to hear, I had my wife check my M and thankfully no cracks any where but I'm going to be having R&I install the plates to prevent any cracking from occuring.

I will say you are far from -4

Here is my Z at -3.5

My Is300 at -3.7 rear , Z -3.2 front

When you start paying for my Mods, I'll start caring what you think of the ones I've chosen...
Properstyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #48
PITT M3 RR

Thanks for the pics, I have the plates set to -2, I guess it just looks worse than it is. Ill get it all dialed in soon

Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #49
Properstyle

no problem. to be honest if I remember correctly the BMW M3 stock is like 2.1, the heigh difference is what makes it seem so crazy, it's an optical illusion from the wheels to fender clearance. all and all I think your doing really well thuse far. I can't wait to get home from this deployement and start moding my M3.

When you start paying for my Mods, I'll start caring what you think of the ones I've chosen...
Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #50
PITT M3 RR

Update for record - Codes came back p0121 p0221 TPS A and B. I multimetered the top one near the oilfilter and it checked out so I hit it with electrical cleaner and reinstalled it. I then pulled the pedal and multimeterd that, I found it was pegged at .42 and .47 for the top and bottom pins. Thinking it was faulty I was looking for a replacement pedal, however, in the search for that I found the reads on mine to be normal, so I reinstalled it and will pull the intake tomorrow to get to the third TPS. Other than that I painted the strut bar and looked into the noise I thought was weird.

Everything is tight under the car, if I turn the rear wheels by hand back and forth I can hear a similar sound in the diff and in the tranny as it makes when driving so It seems to actually be the M clunk because with the full poly...nothing is moving. Ill post pictures of the trunk when its done.

Also whats this look like? I swear its lower than 2.5...

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 04-16-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #51
Properstyle

holy balls dude lol.... I guess camera angle makes all the difference as the first pics didn't look anthing like that lol... I honestly have no idea you could be from -3 to -5 lol.. If I remember this right for every inch you lower a car it reflects .5 degree of camber. I could be wrong thou, just make sure you get it aligned before doing lots of driving as your toe is likley out of spec and that will eat through tires like no tomorrow.,

Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #52
PITT M3 RR

HAHA yea dude, see! The camber plates were set to -2, but I moved them to -1. I am going to also raise it about and inch and a half. heres the trunk complete

Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #53
Properstyle

Now that looks great, even appears to be an option from BMW if you didn't know any better. Good job, I wish you were closer I'd pay you to help me do mine.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #54
R1blade75

My Ride: From an M to an R
Very nice work and you sir have talent!
R1blade75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #55
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
Now that looks great, even appears to be an option from BMW if you didn't know any better. Good job, I wish you were closer I'd pay you to help me do mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1blade75 View Post
Very nice work and you sir have talent!
Thanks for the words fellas. I wouldnt mind getting into this on someone elses M as well. I want to get my squared away first...and I just added a lot to my to do list. Pretty much going all out.
Ill post it later I need some sleep, it was a long night.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #56
PITT M3 RR

Alright so I ordered 2 new Throttle position sensors and an Oil pan gasket...it appears I may have jumped the gun.

I pulled the car out yesterday and drove around...no warning light. So then I drive the living dick out of it and it didn't skip a beat. It actually felt more settled in than the last drive. I guess, pulling the top TPS and the one in the pedal and hitting them with MAF cleaner worked. I also secured the top TPS harness away from the heat of the oil filter housing.

Also, car seemed to quiet down with the clunk. It's all driving habit there I've found...then I overly examined the underside of the vehicle while on stands and there isn't a single thing moving under there that isn't supposed to be. My work is solid!

Few other things I did were examine the pan due to a little bit of oil build up. After cleaning it well with degreaser, I re checked after my trip and it was still clean. I am guessing 11 years of driving allowed the build up that was down there. Due to this, I am waiting until the winter to change the pan gasket since theres no real issue now.

Next I cleaned the inner fenders and raised the front coils about an inch...it was too low before. And I made these to save my bumper when working on the car.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #57
PITT M3 RR

Car is still trouble light free and running excellent. Unfortunately my escalade hasnt been so lucky...tranny died. Anyhow, Im about 30% into having the trans pulled on that, but this has forced me to use the M exculsively...which isnt a bad thing BUT before getting on the road I wanted to tie up the loose ends, so I took her to ARS Automotive and had it aligned and run though PA inspection and emissions. Everything passed and the alignment came out great for a street set up.

BMW was kind enough to provided me with these

Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #58
GanG8

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
Excellent Job! i have done same to my M3 about 6months ago. but i have those red ``bushings`` in everything (rear and front also) and i have done diff rear `strut brace` or how it calls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	503913  
GanG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #59
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanG8 View Post
Excellent Job! i have done same to my M3 about 6months ago. but i have those red ``bushings`` in everything (rear and front also) and i have done diff rear `strut brace` or how it calls
Good looking car and yes its called a strut tower brace. I will be making one of these for the front and rear soon with steel mounts and aluminum memebers.

Ill be going AKG for the front too this winter...cant wait!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #60
sogood

My Ride: 95 S/C M3, 01 M3
Good stuff, thanks for the AKG recommendation.

Last edited by sogood; 05-11-2013 at 09:54 AM.
sogood is offline   Reply With Quote