E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #101
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Buttonwillow again except going counterclockwise in warm and dry weather (no rain!). Last session from Sunday, April 7th. NASA HPDE 1 with instructor (who races a 1988 Mustang). The Camaros are so fast in the straights, but not quite as fast in the turns (2nd day on track for driver of the black Camaro). Driver of the red Scion FRS works as a BMW dealer tech, so in many ways he knew more about my car than I did!

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 04-09-2013 at 02:23 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #102
DOCTOR 3VIL

My Ride: e46 m3
^your lines were much better than the cameros. Good job. More track will automatically equal faster lap times. It's weird how you'll get faster without even really trying.

V-CSL Roof/Evosport headers/Evolve Tune/3.91/Moton CS/Evolve/Autopower Roll bar/Sparco Evo 2/Brembo
DOCTOR 3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #103
kaiv

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerGress View Post
Some folks called this the hardest crash they every saw in club racing. The text associated with the video describes the details. Basically I slipped in coolant and when a moderate correction did nothing, went to brakes in an attempt to keep the car sliding straight down the track. That idea didn't work.

By the time the video shows oversteer I've already gone to brakes. The driver feels weight shift and movement long before a video can show them.

Warning, e30 content. Video may make you want to rush out and buy one.

Wow. I know this old but damn, this is painful to watch. Especially considering how easily it could've been avoided. You can clearly see the car spraying all over the track yet the driver keeps going full throttle as if nothing happened. The first thing you want to do when a car starts spraying stuff is back off. Here the driver actually stayed on the throttle pretty much until he's loosing control.. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

Also perhaps I am wrong but I always thought racing regulations called for water only rather than super slippery coolant?
kaiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #104
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Wow. I know this old but damn, this is painful to watch. Especially considering how easily it could've been avoided. You can clearly see the car spraying all over the track yet the driver keeps going full throttle as if nothing happened. The first thing you want to do when a car starts spraying stuff is back off. Here the driver actually stayed on the throttle pretty much until he's loosing control.. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

Also perhaps I am wrong but I always thought racing regulations called for water only rather than super slippery coolant?
Exactly...be aware! I was behind a car that left their fuel cap off. So as I was closing in for the pass I saw fuel spewing out of his fuel filler and being an old E36 M3...gas door was broken and flapping around. I could have went for the pass but I don't think fuel being sucked in through the intake and hot radiator would have been a great thing.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #105
LivesNearCostco

Yesterday at Buttonwillow with the BMW CCA. Hadn't been to a BMW driving school since December 2011 and the instructing style was different from the NASA HPDE1, or ExtremeSpeed/SpeedVentures which have no in-car instruction unless you pay extra for it. Temp was 100F, hot and dry. Forgot to turn on the camera until about 3rd lap of my last session, here.

I was in B group but the last session blended the A and B groups. Both were relatively small so A+B together was probably fewer cars than a fully-subscribed NASA HPDE 1/2 group. Back steps out at 7:00 in the video.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #106
LivesNearCostco

My first time at Sonoma Raceway, formerly known as Infineon or Sears Point. Running with NASA Nor Cal in HPDE 1. We got 5 sessions of 18-20 minutes each. Sessions 2-4 were quite crowded but by the 5th session half the people had gone home so there was lots of open space. My instructor rode with me for 4 sessions but in the last one he drove his MazdaSpeed 6 and had me follow him. Then he followed me to see if I learned anything. This is the last session of HPDE 1/2.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #107
trackjunky

My Ride: ///M
my recent visit to Watkins Glen with BMWCCA

Last edited by trackjunky; 07-09-2013 at 09:43 AM.
trackjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #108
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Your car looks great in the Gulf livery! And nice photo of it on the cover of the latest Sportscar too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bird View Post
Here's a few of my recent ones:

2011 SCCA National Championship Runoffs race webcast:

STU race, I'm in the GULF E30 M3

http://www.speedcasttv.com/scca/#/races/276

bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #109
LivesNearCostco

Was planning to do BMW CCA weekend at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Nevada this weekend, but it got canceled/rescheduled, so instead did autoX with BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter. good news is I got faster through the day. Bad news is the more experienced Autocrossers were 2-3 seconds faster on a 41-second course (41 seconds for me). The best BMW driver was 5 seconds faster (presumably on R-comps), and the guy with the 1988 Van Diemen on Hoosiers was 7 seconds faster!
This is my 6th run and 2nd fastest time. Carrying one instructor plus 2 passengers in the rear. 7th (and fastest) run was 0.5 seconds faster with zero no passengers.

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 07-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #110
MINIz guy

My Ride: bro truck

Did this all Sunday.

Last edited by MINIz guy; 07-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #111
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Throwback Thursday. Picture from when I use to autocross...and had full interior.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #112
MINIz guy

Two runs from today.

Last edited by MINIz guy; 07-20-2013 at 05:23 PM.
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #113
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
low quality better than no quality? BMW CCA AutoX in Waldorf yesterday

Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #114
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
low quality better than no quality? BMW CCA AutoX in Waldorf yesterday
No lifting before the slalom!

Like this:

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 07-28-2013 at 11:31 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #115
MINIz guy

Videos like above make me want a M3 so badly. What class do you run and with what club? What modifications are on the car too?

One of last weekend in my M5. It is also one of the last autox's on the M5 as I'm looking for a suitable autox replacement.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #116
LivesNearCostco

My first day (2nd session) at Laguna Seca, at Oktoberfest 2013.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #117
DiscoWagon

My Ride: Tony Kart Shifter
IMG_4468

IMG_4583
DiscoWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #118
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Finally uploaded one of my videos from the 2013 BMWCCA Oktoberfest. This is my best run in my first autocross event ever. Good enough for a first place in the rookie class. I'm definitely going to do more autocrossing in the future, probably mostly with the San Diego chapter.

The video isn't the best because it was taken with my cell phone in not the most stable mount for the task. In a case of absolute perfect timing my GoPro had a problem and needed warranty service; the replacement arrived just a couple of days after I got to Monterrey.

As soon as I can edit something decent out of it, I'll put up some of what I have of the Saturday HPDE.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #119
Hardmotorsport
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3

Hardmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #120
gixracer

My Ride: 330ci
lap at Waterford Hills, Waterford Michigan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0369.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	531000  

Last edited by gixracer; 10-15-2013 at 08:27 PM.
gixracer is offline   Reply With Quote