E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
46driver

My Ride: 330i
Lighting control module confusion

Quick backstory: car bought with the tail light ground shorted out, taken to dealer for recall fix. When bought the daytime running lights did not work. Had multiple electrical problems related to K-bus and radio. Radio replaced. BMW mechanic said his system could not read any information from the car, only each component individually. Said the instrument cluster had a fault, as well as the LKM. He replaced the LKM with a model that did not have an "auto" selection. Daytime running lights worked, but come to find out the tail lights did not. Got a used LKM off a 2004 325i, now I have lights on the trunk lid but still no bottom illumination on the rear tail light cluster. Also, with the "used" LKM in the auto headlight position the normal head light and tail lights come on, so the auto and head light position of the switch give the same result. Any ideas would be appreciated.

First Pic: Lights on 2nd Pic:Brakes on 3rd pic: 325i used LKM 4th: new LKM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	497500   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	497501   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	497502   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	497503  

46driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
I would get a bmw scanner to read and try to program your car correctly
tnhl1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
46driver

Can I reprogram at LKM module with a scanner? I thought it was a hardwired piece. I am going to sell this disaster in a few months and am willing to fix what I can but not really keen on reprogramming a car.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
DOT.

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
Post a picture your your old LCM vs the new LCM with the software version # seen (white sticker on the top). As long as you get the same or newer LCM, you can reprogram the new "used" LCM for your car.

You can also re-use your switch plate so you can retain your "auto" headlights.

DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
46driver

The first label is the brand new one I returned that didnt have any tail lights. The second pick is the used LKM I am using that give me tail lights but no daytime running lights or bottom brake lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	500099   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	500100  
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
DOT.

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
You need to have your LCM coded for you vehicle. Read up on NCS Expert & PA Soft or look for a shop may be fanatic in your area that can do that for you.

Too bad you returned the brand new one... I would have bought it off from you.

DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote