E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
cinredman

My Ride: 330CI sonora Metalli
This totally sucks!

April 1, 2013
Drive home
17 year old kid turns left in front of me while I'm traveling at about 40 MPG
Kaboom - airbag and damage to front right corner and wheel, other driver cited, no personal injury; that really is a good thing.

However, I'm sure you all know where this is going. Insurance adjuster has claimed the are going to "total" my car and the value (yep, you guess it) SUCKS! Especially after only owning the car for about 20 months, during which I've purchased rims/snow tires, hardtop & install kit, had the front hood and rear left fender repainted, 100k maintenance including front bushings, tranny flush, coil packs, plugs, etc, etc.

Anyone know just how many 05 Sonoma Metallic 330CIs were produced, cause I can't find any on the market?

Suggestions on proving the value of the hardtop at $2k (yea, took it off a week before to enjoy the warming weather)...

Bottom line, I would really appreciate any suggestions on driving the appraisal value and hoping other owners have some sage advice

Thanks
cinredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
cinredman

And now, pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643853.630866.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	499811   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643869.564005.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	499812   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643883.325503.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	499813   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643901.063000.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	499814  

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643921.460950.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	499815   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643933.561761.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	499816   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643947.782911.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	499817   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365643961.945241.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	499818  

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
PAZHP

My Ride: 06 330Ci, 330xi
After recently going through this process with my wife's Tiguan, aside from the hardtop which you can sell independently, I'm afraid none of the work you had done will be recognized by the insurance carrier when they calculate your total loss valuation. They merely factor in make, model, mileage, condition, major options, and then lowball their settlement. The refurbishments mean nothing to them. Indeed, this totally sucks. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.
PAZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
halohead52

My Ride: E46 330CIC
Afraid PAZHP is right. Insurance doesn't care about rare color or any mod, upgrades, or how carefully you maintained it. You could think about parting it out (and the hardtop will sell easily and the rims) if you have the space and time. Amazing how much damage was done. I'd be so bummed if that was mine (and I have a 2006 330 SG so it's painful to look at the pics).
halohead52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Take the cash and buy the car out from the insurance company... it looks bad, but its only one corner... a good shop can fix this easily. 3-4k should cover it. Its only one corner and from the looks of it, nothing serious with the engine.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

Last edited by pawelgawel; 04-11-2013 at 06:08 AM.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
cinredman

Update - estimate to repair is $15k and so we are not negotiating settlement price. I have a black hardtop to go with this car, so if your interested, PM me! I should have pictures posted in the 4-sale section later today
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365974055.898192.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	500496   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1365974073.327705.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	500497  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
pauljcl

My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinredman View Post
Update - estimate to repair is $15k and so we are not negotiating settlement price. I have a black hardtop to go with this car, so if your interested, PM me! I should have pictures posted in the 4-sale section later today
Very sorry for you. As you said so succintly - it sucks!
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I was in a similar situation like yours a few months ago. Like everyone said, the insurance company will try to low ball you. Even when I showed them all the work I had just put into the car, they claimed it was parts to make the car run. I was pissed because I knew if I got into another bimmer, I still would have to do the same repairs. $$

Considering the year your car is and the miles, they might give you $10-11k which is a low ball. Try to get atleast $11-12k. Look at prices of similar cars selling in your area. That's what they will based it on. It doesn't matter if you had a certain color. I had a manual drive and those things are hard to find. Make sure you add in property taxes you paid this year, title taxes too. Also check and make sure they give your the tax on the settlement. ex. if they give you $10,000 add on tax and cost of title.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Our cars are reaching an age where some owners may want to consider an Agreed Value Policy when they insure their car. If you have taken the time and money to essentially restore a car to near-new condition, you will not get the real value for your car from regular insurance. Most companies will take the position that any repairs made were simply part of normal maintenance, which is expected of any owner.
But, if you have done things like upgrading the suspension with quality components, replacing all of the suspension bushings, rejuvenating the engine with all new gaskets, cooling system, vacuum hoses, and basically replacing all possible wear components with new gear, then you are going to take a financial hit. I am going to be in that position fairly soon, since I have spent 3 years collecting parts to do all of this and more. When I am done, this will not be a common e46 anymore, since so few cars are available with this level of maintenance on them. I would be seriously pissed to get a settlement based on the value of an average e46, which is no where close to what my car will be.
This leaves you in a position of either hoping that you don't get in an accident, which is just not logical, or getting a special coverage policy. I am looking into this now, and plan on posting something in the General Forum within the next 6 weeks or so.
This is not insurance that everyone is going to want to carry. You really would only want it if your car has exceptionally low mileage, and is in remarkable shape, or, if you have devoted a good bit of time and effort to restoring the car to like new condition. Unfortunately, things like age and driving record are going to impact you even more with this sort of insurance as well. But I think there are quite a few people who would qualify for this insurance, and would be willing to pay more to know that they will get the true value for their car, if it is in an accident. I am still trying to work through this process, and understand how the rates are calculated, and what exactly qualifies as a car that is over and above a standard, good condition e46, and what it takes to classify it as something better than average car, that is worth insuring for Agreed Value. As I said, I hope to be able to create a more detailed post in the next 6 weeks or so.
Sorry about your loss. That is a tough break, and most insurance companies could care less.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 04-15-2013 at 02:55 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
gbakerkingston

My Ride: 2004 330ci Vert
So, ask yourself a question: it looks great, it runs great, and after all the preventative maintenance - what would a dealership be able to sell your car for on the lot in 30 days ? There's your value. Risk (where you live, your age, vehicle type/age, etc) & market value (the cold hard truth: our dream machines are horrible investments & depreciating assets until they qualify as a Barrett Jackson participant, or flatline in value and boast Historic Plates) are two benchmarks in accessing premiums. If you are successful in finding satisfactory coverage, it will be based on a 3rd party appraisal and significant restrictions in operation that offer extremely limited enjoyment of your vehicle.....

Last edited by gbakerkingston; 04-15-2013 at 05:28 AM.
gbakerkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
cinredman

As stated earlier, repair cost estimate is just north of $15k. First offer on total is just north of $16k, but fails to recognize 2nd set of tires/rims (winter tires still on car, summer in garage), third set of rims (aftermarket) and the hardtop.

Of course, I'm also trying to identify another e46 as a possible replacement ( purchase) along with entertaining the idea of leasing a brand new BMW...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Gasturbine

My Ride: 2005 330ci Cabrio
Quote:
17 year old kid turns left in front of me while I'm traveling at about 40 MPG
I knew the MPG gauge was good for something, but how fast were you going?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbakerkingston View Post
So, ask yourself a question: it looks great, it runs great, and after all the preventative maintenance - what would a dealership be able to sell your car for on the lot in 30 days ? There's your value.
Not necessarily. You could sell it on some BMW specialty site, and find people willing to pay more for a car that has documented evidence of being maintained above and beyond the usual.
That's where the added value coverage would help you.
And yes, many specialty car insurance companies restrict your usage to occasional recreational use, there are some that will insure daily drivers. Those are the ones I am getting quotes from at this point. It remains to be seen if the cost of that coverage is too expensive to be reasonable.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
PAZHP

My Ride: 06 330Ci, 330xi
Quote:
As stated earlier, repair cost estimate is just north of $15k. First offer on total is just north of $16k, but fails to recognize 2nd set of tires/rims (winter tires still on car, summer in garage), third set of rims (aftermarket) and the hardtop.
The hardtop and additional sets of rims and tires are not part of the equation. They weren't damaged in the collision are still saleable separately; you still have them in your possession, and they're not part of the total loss.
PAZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
LKM46

My Ride: 2005 330Ci cabrio
Quote:

Of course, I'm also trying to identify another e46 as a possible replacement ( purchase) along with entertaining the idea of leasing a brand new BMW...
I hate to say it, but for an '05 with 100k that is a good offer. The wheels and top do not figure into the equation. Glad you are OK.
LKM46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
mitfa911

My Ride: 2001 330 CIc
Don't be scare by the estimates insurance companies come up with. You can easily repair that car with a lot less. You can always by used parts in good condition as replacements. I bought my car from an insurance auction with a salvage title. I have between $2500 and $3000 on the car and that's including the price of the car. Mine came with the hardtop and that's the reason I bought it to begin with. If you are willing to sell the whole car including the hardtop, I might be interested if the price is reasonable. You can find my buildup under my signature.
mitfa911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
LKM46

My Ride: 2005 330Ci cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitfa911 View Post
Don't be scare by the estimates insurance companies come up with. You can easily repair that car with a lot less. You can always by used parts in good condition as replacements. I bought my car from an insurance auction with a salvage title. I have between $2500 and $3000 on the car and that's including the price of the car. Mine came with the hardtop and that's the reason I bought it to begin with. If you are willing to sell the whole car including the hardtop, I might be interested if the price is reasonable. You can find my buildup under my signature.
Why mess with a salvage car and all the work/headache/potential problems? There are lots of nice E46 cabrios out there, many which have been babied as third cars for sunny days. For that settlement offer you can get a nice, straight replacement and just paint the hardtop to match. Move on.
LKM46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
cinredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
I knew the MPG gauge was good for something, but how fast were you going?
Estimated speed was 45 MPH before braking, evasive maneuver and impact. Hit hard enough to crack chunk off aftermarket rim.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
cinredman

I would love to find another 330Ci in Sonoma Metallic, but that color appears to be sorta rare. Who knows what might eventually turn up in the driveway. Considered a 335i, but research indicates this model has quite a poor history of spending way too much time in the shop.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Sorry for your loss, that really sucks......

Time to move on, buy my car