E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #41
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Do you think black bosses hire more blacks? Do Jewish bosses hire more Jews? It isn't just the man that does this, everyone does it. Every black judge I work with (which is many) has an all black staff. Every religious Jewish judge has all Jewish staff. Don't act like this is all white people shenanigans, real white people don't even like Italian and Irish.
You are the one that brought up "the black kid". Now you want to get pi$$y because I used your example. Puhleez.

I never said it was "just the man" or "this is all white people shenanigans".
I am the one who said the game is rigged. You claim it isn't. Yet here you are spouting examples of the "rigged" behaviors and circumstances you previously claim don't exist.

Condemned by your own arguments...comedy gold as always AofG.

Tell me, how is that petard of yours you hoisted yourself on to?

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #42
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
You are the one that brought up "the black kid". Now you want to get pi$$y because I used your example. Puhleez.

I never said it was "just the man" or "this is all white people shenanigans".
I am the one who said the game is rigged. You claim it isn't. Yet here you are spouting examples of the "rigged" behaviors and circumstances you previously claim don't exist.

Condemned by your own arguments...comedy gold as always AofG.

Tell me, how is that petard of yours you hoisted yourself on to?
aka no response, gotcha. Not shocked, you are what you are.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #43
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
aka no response, gotcha. Not shocked, you are what you are.

What part of the game is rigged and I never said it was exclusive to "the man" or "white people" did you miss?

Again, you must remember a rigged game is not one you can't win, but, one where your chances are reduced by the rig.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #44
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:

What part of the game is rigged and I never said it was exclusive to "the man" or "white people" did you miss?

Again, you must remember a rigged game is not one you can't win, but, one where your chances are reduced by the rig.
hard work > rig

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #45
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
hard work > rig
I concur.

But you admit that the game is rigged?

While economics are not the only "rigging factor", IMO, they are the most common "rigging factor". I stand by my statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq
You (and the GOP) need to get that through your heads. As soon as you understand, yes, the system is rigged. That doesn't mean auto-failure. But it does mean those on the bottom are more likely to stay on the bottom. It means that if the kid who starts out in the economic bottom 20% works as hard as the kid who starts out in the economic top 20%, chances are amazingly high that the kid that started out in the top 20% is going to fair better, even if they work equally as hard. That is how the system works. If you start near the bottom of the economic ladder, your best chance is just to try and do better and maybe your next generation can start out at the 30% or 50% mark on the economic ladder. Yeah, there are going to be those that "land on chance or the community chest" and make that economic leap in a single generation. But, those odds are slim. (Lets face it, they are.)

The game is rigged. OK. So what. Accept that and then, and only then, can we move on from it. To continue to deny that its not is just as much a part of the problem.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #46
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Ah, yeah. But college still isn't a guarantee of success. They're still going to face discrimination and prejudice for the rest of their working lives.

Look at it this way, the average black college graduate makes 52k per year. The average white college graduate makes 73k per year. Source: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/cpsta...pinc04_000.htm

If a black person looks at that data, how do you think they would explain that income disparity? That they are less hard working than whites? That they're less intelligent than whites? Chances are, they'll think that because whites have always been the dominant (and therefore normal) racial demographic in the United States, that they have an ingrained advantage in our current economic system.

When black people go into a job interview, they have to contend with a lot of baggage associated with their race. Because black people have stereotypes on their work ethic, attitude, speech that get engrained both in their minds and the mind of their prospective employer. If you think that doesn't exist or that it doesn't affect outcomes, you're wrong. It does.
Quote:
Will you learn to read. Just because a game is rigged doesn't mean one can't win. It means the odds of winning are longer. It is not just the GOP that needs to understand this, the DNC needs to as well. Admit that the game is rigged and nothing is going to change that the game is rigged. All that might maybe be done is make the odds a bit closer to even. (However, the discussion was specifically around the GOP.)

Hard work and perseverance aren't always enough, they usually aren't enough. If they were most small businesses and start-ups wouldn't fail. And yet, even given the high failure rate, people continue to try.

Either extreme position (auto-fail or its not rigged) is absurd.
Is this a joke?
I pity anyone who looks at life as a "rigged game" and even with perseverance they will never succeed, how ****ing pathetic and they rightly deserve no success. Having an attitude like that does an injustice to those of all races who go through life's trial and tribulations which far exceed simply being born black.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #47
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Is this a joke?
I pity anyone who looks at life as a "rigged game" and even with perseverance they will never succeed, how ****ing pathetic and they rightly deserve no success. Having an attitude like that does an injustice to those of all races who go through life's trial and tribulations which far exceed simply being born black.
Take a look to the left.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #48
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Is this a joke?
Your reading skills are less than pathetic.
"Just because a game is rigged doesn't mean one can't win. It means the odds of winning are longer."

If you truly think going from the bottom 10% to the top 10% take ONLY hard work and perseverance, you need some life experience. It takes a bit of luck, timing, right place at the right time.

As I said, if hard work and perseverance guaranteed success more companies would make it rather than not.

The game is rigged. That is not an injustice to anybody. It is not right or wrong, good or bad. It simply is. Accept it and move on. Accept that in a given circumstance there is never a truly "level playing field". Sometimes the odds might be in your favor, other times not. Is it fair? Hell no. But anybody who ever told you life was fair was a freakin liar.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #49
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Always love to hear from people born on third base in life who think they hit a home run when they become successful.

Yes, people coming from the lowest and meanest of circumstance can do well through dint of intelligence and hard work alone, rarely. But those are the notable and noble exceptions and hardly the rule upon which we ought to base societal policy. Statistics have clearly shown just what an immense leg up having chosen wealthy parents can have on a child's outcomes. Is it a guarentee of success? No, but boy does it stack the odds in ones favor. Good for people who are born of more exalted circumstance who don't squander that head start, work hard and continue that line of success and contributing to society, but don't confuse their life struggles and chance of success with one born of the housing project with an empty plastic spoon in her mouth with one born to the manor with a full silver spoon in her mouth.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #50
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Always love to hear from people born on third base in life who think they hit a home run when they become successful.

I'm stealing that.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #51
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post

I'm stealing that.
He didn't make it up

Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #52
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
He didn't make it up
Does that mean I can't steal it?

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #53
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Good line, but yeah, not my own.

I seem to recall it being used when Romney was bemoaning the hardships of having to liquidate some of his stocks while in school to help pay for tuition and the house he was living in. I mean, what college student even has any stocks much less enough to float college tuition and a mortgage/rent. Most college students are working crappy jobs, depending on student loans and living with three smelly dudes in some two bedroom walkup apartment. And these are the more fortunate ones that can even afford college at all.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #54
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

Yes, people coming from the lowest and meanest of circumstance can do well through dint of intelligence and hard work alone, rarely. But those are the notable and noble exceptions and hardly the rule upon which we ought to base societal policy. Statistics have clearly shown just what an immense leg up having chosen wealthy parents can have on a child's outcomes. Is it a guarentee of success? No, but boy does it stack the odds in ones favor. Good for people who are born of more exalted circumstance who don't squander that head start, work hard and continue that line of success and contributing to society, but don't confuse their life struggles and chance of success with one born of the housing project with an empty plastic spoon in her mouth with one born to the manor with a full silver spoon in her mouth.
I started somewhere between 1st and 2nd base...just trying to make a name for myself.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #55
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Your reading skills are less than pathetic.
"Just because a game is rigged doesn't mean one can't win. It means the odds of winning are longer."

If you truly think going from the bottom 10% to the top 10% take ONLY hard work and perseverance, you need some life experience. It takes a bit of luck, timing, right place at the right time.

As I said, if hard work and perseverance guaranteed success more companies would make it rather than not.

The game is rigged. That is not an injustice to anybody. It is not right or wrong, good or bad. It simply is. Accept it and move on. Accept that in a given circumstance there is never a truly "level playing field". Sometimes the odds might be in your favor, other times not. Is it fair? Hell no. But anybody who ever told you life was fair was a freakin liar.
Quote:
Hard work and perseverance aren't always enough, they usually aren't enough.
My reading skills are pathetic? We obviously come from opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to motivation and beliefs in oneself.