E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
zooswanko

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via AIM to zooswanko
reset oil service light with pa soft?

just got my pa soft scanner and i love it. used it to code my alarm, shut off my airbag light, and remote windows up.

I want to reset the yellow oil service light that comes on for a few seconds after starting the car but im not sure exactly what to do in the software. I searched and couldnt find exactly how. I went to IKE and clicked "oil service reset" but it didnt do the trick (light still comes on). Can anybody give me a detailed walk through on how to reset the oil light with pa soft? Much thanks
zooswanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
the light will be coming on regardless , unless you replaced the oil level sender.

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
The oil light indicates oil level. If your oil level is ok, then the sensor is bad. Someone was selling the sensor for about $40. Used to be $100.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
zooswanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
The oil light indicates oil level. If your oil level is ok, then the sensor is bad. Someone was selling the sensor for about $40. Used to be $100.
i dont think its the low oil light. its the yellow oil light that comes on, above the speedometer in the cluster. just turns on for a few seconds then goes off
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooswanko View Post
i dont think its the low oil light. its the yellow oil light that comes on, above the speedometer in the cluster. just turns on for a few seconds then goes off
It is the oil level light. Check your oil, if it is not missing oil then it is the oil level sensor.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Your oil pressure light (red when low pressure) doubles as a low oil level indicator when your car first starts. Your red light will shine yellow for about 12 seconds when first driving to indicate low oil level.

Is it the oil pressure light your are referring to, or something else on the dash?

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
zooswanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Your oil pressure light (red when low pressure) doubles as a low oil level indicator when your car first starts. Your red light will shine yellow for about 12 seconds when first driving to indicate low oil level.

Is it the oil pressure light your are referring to, or something else on the dash?
oil level i check every couple weeks and is fine. its just the yellow for like 5 seconds after starting. guess its a bad oil level sensor. I wonder if i can bypass it like i did for the brake pad wear sensor cause i dont need a light to tell me my oil is low.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
dvd64

My Ride: bmw e46 CI
IKE coding :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_18301_783_5771.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	502675  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
BMWCaptain

Forgot about that setting. Yes, just unchecked it in the Settings.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Buy a Hella sensor and replace your failed unit during your next oil change.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Buy a Hella sensor and replace your failed unit during your next oil change.
No! It's a waste to spend $150 for w sensor we don't use.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I don't see how spending $90to fix a car is worthless..

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
zooswanko

sweeeeet! soooo gonna uncheck that box
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
No! It's a waste to spend $150 for w sensor we don't use.
I agree with you , but i wouldnt turn that setting off just in case

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I don't see how spending $90to fix a car is worthless..
If I have to explain it to you, you probably won't understand.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
zooswanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
I agree with you , but i wouldnt turn that setting off just in case
That sensor is for people who don't know have any knowledge of cars or are careless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Old 04-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
dvd64

My Ride: bmw e46 CI
orange warning will light up to alert low oil after the car is turned off. It will not alert while driving. The only oil light that would turn on while driving is the red oil light, and that is alerting you there is low oil pressure, and to shut down the engine immediately.

i have disabled my orange oil level , no problem with that .
I have a dipstick, I don't need another light - especially a completely unreliable one

And red pressure light work the same and that one it' s more important then the level sensor (If you suddenly lost a lot of oil your oil pressure light would come on. )

Last edited by dvd64; 04-28-2013 at 02:43 PM.
dvd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
zooswanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd64 View Post
orange warning will light up to alert low oil after the car is turned off. It will not alert while driving. The only oil light that would turn on while driving is the red oil light, and that is alerting you there is low oil pressure, and to shut down the engine immediately.

i have disabled my orange oil level , no problem with that .
I have a dipstick, I don't need another light - especially a completely unreliable one

And red pressure light work the same and that one it' s more important then the level sensor (If you suddenly lost a lot of oil your oil pressure light would come on. )
Well said

Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
zooswanko

Anybody know if theres a way to shut off automatic climate control after turning the key?