E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
The_W_95

My Ride: 2003 330i
Pooping noise when I turn at low speeds

Can any body help me? As stated, everytime I turn at low speeds such as pulling out of a parking spot or driveway, slow turns in general, there's a loud pop that is coming from the drivers side I believe, it may be both sides but its much louder on the drivers side. It is lowered on coilovers. Anybody had this problem.
The_W_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
The_W_95

Popping noise* sorry for autocorrect
Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
First guess is sway bar endlinks. Unfortunately, every answer you get is going to be a guess. You or someone with experience needs to get under there and look.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Your car has gas
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
B o g u s

My Ride: 2000 328i
possibly could be front control arm bushings as well...i replaced my FCABs and sway bar end links...sounds went away.
B o g u s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
The_W_95

Well it started as soon as I put my coilovers on and I still haven't got shortened end links so I'm thinking that's the problem
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
B o g u s

My Ride: 2000 328i
depending on how low you went you could try out some 2007-2008 impala ss rear links. check it out.
B o g u s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_W_95 View Post
Well it started as soon as I put my coilovers on
Oh boy.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Is the pooping noise more of a plop-plop sound, or more of a strained, struggling groaning noise?
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
As someone mentioned above its likely your front swaybar endlinks. If you lowered a decent amount from stock and tried to use your stock endlinks, they're too long and will cause some buckling\binding when your steering is cranked to one side.

If you want to confirm, undo one endlink and go for a test drive in a parking lot doing slow donuts to see if the clunking is gone. If so, you'll need shorter or adjustable endlinks.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
The_W_95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Is the pooping noise more of a plop-plop sound, or more of a strained, struggling groaning noise?
Popping noise. Everytime I turn the wheel too much while driving at low speeds.. If I get up to 15-20mph it stops, I can whip it left and right with no problem, it's only when I'm turning into a parking spot for example or pulling out of somewhere
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
The_W_95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
As someone mentioned above its likely your front swaybar endlinks. If you lowered a decent amount from stock and tried to use your stock endlinks, they're too long and will cause some buckling\binding when your steering is cranked to one side.

If you want to confirm, undo one endlink and go for a test drive in a parking lot doing slow donuts to see if the clunking is gone. If so, you'll need shorter or adjustable endlinks.
So driving without an end link won't hurt anything for a bit?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_W_95 View Post
Well it started as soon as I put my coilovers on and I still haven't got shortened end links so I'm thinking that's the problem
I would not drive it like that. Sounds like you did not install the coil-overs properly and someting is hitting. Could be the end links are knockingagainst something.

Take off the front wheels and put jackstands or jack (with wood for cushioning) under outer ball joints of CAs. Then turn the steering back and forth to localize the obstruction. It may simply be you don't have the coil overs locked into the pinch knuckle at the right angle.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
The_W_95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
I would not drive it like that. Sounds like you did not install the coil-overs properly and someting is hitting. Could be the end links are knockingagainst something.

Take off the front wheels and put jackstands or jack (with wood for cushioning) under outer ball joints of CAs. Then turn the steering back and forth to localize the obstruction. It may simply be you don't have the coil overs locked into the pinch knuckle at the right angle.
I'm thinking its the end links. I've installed plenty of coilovers and springs and never had this problem
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Sales@AMI
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW E36 Coupe 325is
Might be a little late to the party but you might want to check out the upper mount/main spring/helper spring relationship. Sounds like coil bind to me. If you still need help shoot me PM or give me a call and we can go over it.

Thanks, Matt@AMI
Sales@AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
The_W_95

Installed shorter end links.... STILL POPPING!!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci

So I had this popping noise problem and I always thought it was the shock. I'm lowered on KW variant 1. I raised the car and had my friend turn the wheel and on 1 spot I saw that the wheel was rubbing against the coilover and thats what is making the popping sound (weird). The passenger side is rubbing 2 but not as bad as the driver. The popping sound is worse when i turn the wheel and i drive slowly. So I need spacers. Might be the same issue. And yes I verified and with different wheels it doesn't make the popping noise.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #18
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@AMI View Post
Might be a little late to the party but you might want to check out the upper mount/main spring/helper spring relationship. Sounds like coil bind to me. If you still need help shoot me PM or give me a call and we can go over it.

Thanks, Matt@AMI

Exactly this. Are you sure the coils were installed correctly? Was the washer from the stock setup between the strut mount and the top hat transferred over? If not that's you problem. The top hat is most likely sticking to your strut mount when you turn the wheel.
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
kejobe

My Ride: 2003 325I
Is it AWD or just RWD? If by chance its AWD it could be the front CV shaft(s). In either case, double check and make sure everything is installed correctly.

kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
kfiggins

My Ride: e46 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew@swift motorworks View Post

Exactly this. Are you sure the coils were installed correctly? Was the washer from the stock setup between the strut mount and the top hat transferred over? If not that's you problem. The top hat is most likely sticking to your strut mount when you turn the wheel.
+1
kfiggins is offline   Reply With Quote