E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
datopaz325ci

My Ride: 2003 topaz 325ci
what can i get for my car

im considering selling my 2001 topaz blue manual 325ci with 107k miles and a brandnew clutch and flywheel, near perfect paint and finish and perfect interior. had a mechanic look at it a couple months ago and the only real con is its missing the passenger engine bottom engine guard. and should i sell with or without ssr gt2's
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
datopaz325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
datopaz325ci

for pics....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.php?u=220353
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
personally, I found out the hard way that buying an e46 right by the 100,000 miles mark is extremely risky. that's exactly when things start failing. a lot of preventative maintenance for the experienced, or for the newbie, a lot of discovery.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
datopaz325ci

yeah....thats what im sadly figuring out, already had to put 4k in repairs
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

yeah, but if you continue to replace what's needed, it can reach 200k no problem. if you've invested this much so far, you will not see much of it back. you should either stop, and hopefully kept receipts and kept track of maintenance, but if you plan on going off of your word alone, it'll be hard to convince the experienced, but the new will gobble it up. I will never see even a fraction of what I put into this thing, but I love it so will not part from this car that easily. I just have faith in it running for a long time. I've bled for this car, and so shall this car bleed for me, or leak oil, whatever you want to call it.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Gotta say that is a beautiful color!
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
datopaz325ci

yeah ive got reciepts....i love the car just seems to be problem after problem.....sofar in the 3k ive driven the car ive had to replace flywheel, clutch, fix the throttle body that got stuck open, new rear differential seals, new vanos line, and fix REALLY sticky drivers caliper......what other thing will i likely have to do befor its reliable
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
NumbaOneNewb

fuel pump within 20-30k miles. coolant system overhaul. if you want a good ride, suspension can slowly be worked on. I know the feeling man but the thing is, if you do preventative maintenance, maintenance on your own time with the choice in price, it can be a positive outlook. its' just those situations when your baby is hurt and you want to help her so bad that you make impulsive decisions that will fix her up right away, but puts a dent in your pocket. Definitely search for the best price and going to BMW is never the 1st option you should pick.

since you got a manual, a tranny fluid drain and fill plus filter (I'm not sure if manuals have a filter) but for you guys, its cheap. My buddy did it himself for $20 in fluid while I had mine done for $300. if you do most of it yourself, you'll feel better about the savings you made. if you are paying someone else to do it.... I just don't know what to say.

Plus when you put your time, effort, blood and sweat into getting her repaired, you'll feel less likely to want to sell her because you've taken hard hits for her, so shall she return the favor by running hard for you.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by datopaz325ci View Post
im considering selling my 2001 topaz blue manual 325ci with 107k miles and a brandnew clutch and flywheel, near perfect paint and finish and perfect interior. had a mechanic look at it a couple months ago and the only real con is its missing the passenger engine bottom engine guard. and should i sell with or without ssr gt2's
To answer your original question, a guesstimate would be between $8000 -$9000....
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
datopaz325ci

so how would the reliabilty of an e46 compaired to mk4 gti with around 80k~miles or an mk4 r32 with around 150k~
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

with what you paid and also put into maintenance, that's gotta be a loss of 4k or so huh? when you own one of these, you marry them for life, or don't get to know them at all. rest assured, you treat her right, she will stay loyal and faithful. You must love it to appreciate it. Also, BMWs give you something most cars try and replicate and are envy with jealousy for. It gives you prestige and status. A bmw no matter how old it is will always be a BMW. the name itself it synonymous with wealth, style, speed, luxury, and good taste. not too many other car makers can achieve that. The whispering of the name BMW sounds good to the ears. It's orgasmic.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
NumbaOneNewb

I would google up those car's make and model as well as year with "known problems" maintenance may be a little cheaper but like I said, you can find bargains online if you buy the parts on your own terms. if you do the work yourself, it'll be very affordable to keep it. but if you switch to those other ones, you will not receive the attention or status as you would this. they will never be BMWs.

but remember, if you keep her, she will always be there for you. divorce her, and she will take half of your wealth and leave you broken. one day, you will always think of her, no matter what. she will have you thinking, "what if we were still together...?"

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
datopaz325ci

so all these problems will happen with any e46 with similar miles......i was kinda considering just buying another e46 thinking mine was just was a dud
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

lol. don't worry man. these wives of us always demand more and more, at least it seems like that sometimes. just give her what she wants and she'll eventually shut up. however, in about another 100k miles, that biznotch will begin asking for more and more. just feed it to her, and she'll shut up, hopefully for good before she croaks.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
datopaz325ci

so can you just kinda givme a rough estamate of how much in repairs you have had to put in since you have recieved you car and how many miles you have driven it
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

i got mine around 120k. i now have 152k in 2 years, most of it done within the last 6 months. if you count my non mechanical or rather, toy mods, i'd easily spent more than I spent on the car. as of this moment though, I'm quite confident it'll easily pass up 200k before i have to pour money back in but i believe that once I hit the 200k mark, i'll just need to maintain the usual. coolant overhaul, brakes, rotors. she doesn't get as picky when she's older as long as you continue maintaining her. if you want a raw number, although I didn't really keep track, I'd have to say counting my mods, perhaps.... 7K+. but out of that amount, 4-5k was for the useless mods. I also did the work myself. I know nothing about cars. this is my first car but I got a good serving of reality when a mechanic fixed me up with the expansion tank exploding. From that day forth, I told myself never again, unless I just didn't see myself being able to make that repair. I've saved thousands upon thousands. you must work on it to see the gains in savings.

yeah, most of the money draining mods were example, 1500+ stereo system, almost 1,000 in interior work like m3 leather seats, 1500+ for rims and tires and renewing tires, carbon fiber hood and trunk, 1000+, stuff like that. lol

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
datopaz325ci

ok thanks for all the info.....dont really know anyone that know about this stuff soo ill pm you if i have anymore questions....
all black bmw emblems
debadged
black kidneys grills
black window trim
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

always here to help. i'm just helping because I feel i owe this place a debt, and I'm in a big debt. i'm not sure I can even ever repay this debt but I'll try though
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
NumbaOneNewb

one last thing, this is definitely one of the most well documented BMWs that was ever made and quite possibly, one of the top cars documented ever. if you continue to read and educate yourself, nothing will come as a surprise.