E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #81
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
The truth is the CEL stay's off and the DME is tricked. But in the past, there where issues with the monitors not in a ready state. the 02 sims DO produce the correct signal, its the monitoring test for when people go take their emissions test that seams to be a hit or miss. I would have mitigated the issue, but my car is lazy at detecting, and I don't have anyone l local to be the ginnie pig
I don't understand exactly what you mean when referring to the monitoring test. For our emissions test, your vehicle must have completed a drive cycle of about minimum 25 miles without CEL. Then your car will come up as ready to test.

In other words, you can't clear the codes outside the testing facility and expect the guy to pass you 5 minutes later. Is this what you're refering to?

Again, I realize that the O2 sim itself does fluctuate the voltage and indicates a functioning O2 sensor by traditional standards, it seems that the BMW DME specifically has an additional algorithm which looks for the lean condition as well. This is not something which can be duplicated with the O2 sim here.

Wideband O2 seems to be the only total solution which will work, but it costs a heck of a lot more money and effort to get operating. All one needs is to complete one "drive cycle" without CEL to pass the test.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #82
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggles View Post
I don't understand exactly what you mean when referring to the monitoring test. For our emissions test, your vehicle must have completed a drive cycle of about minimum 25 miles without CEL. Then your car will come up as ready to test.

In other words, you can't clear the codes outside the testing facility and expect the guy to pass you 5 minutes later. Is this what you're refering to?

Again, I realize that the O2 sim itself does fluctuate the voltage and indicates a functioning O2 sensor by traditional standards, it seems that the BMW DME specifically has an additional algorithm which looks for the lean condition as well. This is not something which can be duplicated with the O2 sim here.

Wideband O2 seems to be the only total solution which will work, but it costs a heck of a lot more money and effort to get operating. All one needs is to complete one "drive cycle" without CEL to pass the test.
When taking a typical emissions test two things have to be met; CEL off, and the readiness test. As the ECU initially checks to codes, then comes back ok, then the next stage, would be the drive cycle, (usually engine on and off 3 times, and 10-20 miles driven)

What is a Readiness test?
1996 and newer model year vehicles perform up to 11 system tests, depending on the model year, make and model of the vehicle. These tests are performed by readiness monitors. The readiness monitors continuously or periodically check the emission control system and its components. If enough monitors have not completed the check of the emission control system by the time a motorist presents a vehicle for inspection, the vehicle's on-board diagnostic (OBD) computer will not be "Ready" and will fail the inspection. For example, 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles will fail if three or more monitors are "Not Ready" while 2001 and newer model year vehicles will fail if two or more monitors are "Not Ready."

With the e36s, e39, and e46s I have not known anyone with this lean condition that you speak of. Now maybe the MS45 DME or newer vehicles, but not the ones that I've dealt with.

I'm well aware of the wideband solution, but I haven't had a need to tap into one for the stock DME

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 04-15-2013 at 02:46 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #83
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Could be a difference between MS43 vs MS45 DMEs?

To be honest, I heard my fellow Canadian forum member had issues with these O2 sims, but that could be simply due to him not completing a drive cycle. He has a 323 as far as I know, which would be running quite dated DME software (unless he updated)

As long as the CEL is off for the duration of ~week, that's all I would need. Testing the car with EU2 would probably lead to an instant fail, correct? The tester would be looking for emissions equipment which according to the car doesn't exist as I understand it.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #84
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggles View Post
Could be a difference between MS43 vs MS45 DMEs?

To be honest, I heard my fellow Canadian forum member had issues with these O2 sims, but that could be simply due to him not completing a drive cycle. He has a 323 as far as I know, which would be running quite dated DME software (unless he updated)

As long as the CEL is off for the duration of ~week, that's all I would need. Testing the car with EU2 would probably lead to an instant fail, correct? The tester would be looking for emissions equipment which according to the car doesn't exist as I understand it.
Yes there is several things different on the MS45.

MS45 DMEs are extremely fast and can maintain the engine in realtime, MS43 cannot and adapts over time.

MS45 can utilize Comfort Start.

MS45 will fire the next two cylinders after Ignition Off to burn extra gas as the engine spins down.

MS45 systems have the IAT in the MAF, MS43 IAT is in the manifold.

MS45 can operate an M54 to SULEV standards.

I'm aware of the guy with the 323 issue and thats related to the readiness test, not CEL. I'm willing to work with him to come to a solution. I personally tried flashing to a EU2 firmware, but the flash was not successful, (so I would know the state of the monitoring it does, and how it would work when doing OBD emissions test. The software is buggy, and tedious to get working, my car has become so lazy, that my post 02s are disconnected and they don't even give me a code!

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 04-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #85
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
Yes there is several things different on the MS45.

MS45 DMEs are extremely fast and can maintain the engine in realtime, MS43 cannot and adapts over time.

MS45 can utilize Comfort Start.

MS45 will fire the next two cylinders after Ignition Off to burn extra gas as the engine spins down.

MS45 systems have the IAT in the MAF, MS43 IAT is in the manifold.

MS45 can operate an M54 to SULEV standards.

I'm aware of the guy with the 323 issue and thats related to the readiness test, not CEL. I'm willing to work with him to come to a solution. I personally tried flashing to a EU2 firmware, but the flash was not successful, (so I would know the state of the monitoring it does, and how it would work when doing OBD emissions test. The software is buggy, and tedious to get working, my car has become so lazy, that my post 02s are disconnected and they don't even give me a code!
I passed my emission test. I was allowed to have 2 incomplete monitors. Cel is back on but have yet to scan codes, will scan and report back
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #86
straight_beamin

Update!! Works great guaranteed working now. This guy is legit he will help you till problems are fixed if you have any
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #87
ATB24

My Ride: '03 330i
Also confirm they are working great. Had to send back 2 times, but in the end he found what was causing my issues... Glad to finally get this taken care of
ATB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #88
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Re: have SEL for post cat 02's? I have a SOLUTION

So to my understandings, the Sim will allow monitors to become ready and won't throw efficiency codes?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #89
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
So to my understandings, the Sim will allow monitors to become ready and won't throw efficiency codes?
I can't personally confirm the readiness test (my car is lazy and reads N/A for it), but for sure no Service Engine Light from them. That is a question to those who have mine installed.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #90
straight_beamin

have SEL for post cat 02's? I have a SOLUTION

Give me a week of driving and i will check and let you know

Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #91
IROCa325

My Ride: 90Z/02 525i/03 325i
OP, PM sent.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #92
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCa325 View Post
OP, PM sent.
responded
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #93
jonel1225

My Ride: 02 325ci

OP you have a PM!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #94
straight_beamin

Ok so its been a few months and couple thousand miles. Everything working perfect for the 323i guy. All monitors set and everything. Reccommend to all

Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #95
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_beamin View Post
Ok so its been a few months and couple thousand miles. Everything working perfect for the 323i guy. All monitors set and everything. Reccommend to all

Glad to hear it!