E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
harrykman90

My Ride: BMW E46 1999 323i
Idle problems AFTER replacing Intake Camshaft Position sensor HELP!

e46 323i 1999
Hi,
Last night tried to leave my friend house, Car wouldn't start. Not the battery or starter. Tried a second time started right up but was sloppy sounding. I already knew about my Intake camshaft position sensor fault code (Table 15-number 41) while driving home I'm just waiting for that stall. (I drive a standard also) I tried to not let the RPM's fall below 500 but when i couldn't help it, the car would seem to go to like 200rpms and then come back up to life. On the last street before my house I was coming up to a stop sign and knew my car was going to die. At about 15 mph i push in the clutch and I watch the rpm go down and the car dies. It started right back up and I drove home.

Today woke up nice and early to replace my intake cam shaft position sensor on my e46 323i 1999. Replacing the sensor wasn't much trouble. In the middle of removing the sensor clip that goes on the back of the Vanos silenoid, the awful plastic vent hose pipe cracked. So I went out and bought a vent hose. After trying to remove the old broken vent hose I hear something snap. Say S***t to myself and try to look under where its connected to another plastic piece. So I go back to the dealer and buy the whole "vent hose kit" with the new "Improved" plastic pipes with a flimsy Styrofoam sleeve around to "protect" the hoses. Well in order to remove this whole vent hose kit you have to remove. The throttle body, whole intake box, intake hoses going into throttle body. I had everything off I, replaced all the vent hoses and looking good so far.
No brakes in the plastic....put in all the sensors(hopefully in right spots) re-assemble the intake and put it back together.
Everything was done ready to go, I reset fault codes with my tool that plugs into the diagnostics place near the positive batter node. I turn the alternator on no engine light everything looks normal. Start her up and seems fine then I hear this like banging/knocking sound and my car doesn't idle at the same rpm, keeps going up and down. But that's not what scares me, It sounds like the pistons are moving at one pace and the rest of the engine is trying to catch up or something.
harrykman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Re-check the throttle body electrical plug, the marks need to line up when it's in fully seated. Have you connected all the hoses properly? There are a bunch of hoses in the intake area where you were working.
Did you look into the ICV valve? I don't know your mileage, but that could probably use some cleaning, too. If all that checks out, there are two camshaft sensor, intake and exhaust, maybe the other one is bad, too.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Did you use an OEM Cam sensor? Aftermarket ones do not work. It has to be an OEM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Correct. Must be oem Sensor or you will have problems perhaps not know but shortly. Then your mind will trick itself, telling it can't be that sensor because you just replaced it, having you chase other problems when it was that thing the whole time.

Except for that loud knocking noise you're hearing, prior to all of those, your can wasn't running 100%. Then you broke some hoses. Have you scanned for codes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
harrykman90

My Ride: BMW E46 1999 323i
Hi thanks for all the replies everyone.
I only replaced the intake camshaft sensor that I bought from a BMW dealership in peabody. Turns out after hooking everything up, the vent hose kit came with an extra tube. (vent hose) On my car I didn't need that extra tube which goes on top of the intake manifold. Instead I have a hose coming from the top of the manifold that runs to under and goes into the CCV plastic component. I connected that tube to one of the new pipes that came from the kit with an extra outlet for another tube which should of been the vent pipe that runs along the top of the intake manifold. Instead I took that little tube and ran it under to the CCV where it originally was located and found this little rubber cap on the jet outlet it was suppose to be on. Put everything else back on and started the car up...runs much better now the only thing I've noticed is it takes a little while to start up more than 2 secs sometimes. Once its running I don't see any problems. I'm thinking get new spark plugs or fuel injector cleaner. I have about 150k miles on this car and the spark plugs haven't been changed for a long time.
harrykman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
I'm glad you figured it out! Now all you need is new spark plugs.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrykman90 View Post
Hi thanks for all the replies everyone.
I only replaced the intake camshaft sensor that I bought from a BMW dealership in peabody. Turns out after hooking everything up, the vent hose kit came with an extra tube. (vent hose) On my car I didn't need that extra tube which goes on top of the intake manifold. Instead I have a hose coming from the top of the manifold that runs to under and goes into the CCV plastic component. I connected that tube to one of the new pipes that came from the kit with an extra outlet for another tube which should of been the vent pipe that runs along the top of the intake manifold. Instead I took that little tube and ran it under to the CCV where it originally was located and found this little rubber cap on the jet outlet it was suppose to be on. Put everything else back on and started the car up...runs much better now the only thing I've noticed is it takes a little while to start up more than 2 secs sometimes. Once its running I don't see any problems. I'm thinking get new spark plugs or fuel injector cleaner. I have about 150k miles on this car and the spark plugs haven't been changed for a long time.
Hard starts, where it takes a long time to turn over, can be a sign of a clogged fuel filter, and/or a failing fuel pump. The plugs are probably not the cause, unless they are fouled with oil.
Do you know how old the fuel filter is? If not, you should replace it. The same goes for the fuel pump. Unless you know it has been replaced, you really should consider replacing it, since you are at 150k.
At that mileage, you are at risk of a sudden failure. Sometimes, they fail with no symptoms at all - they just stop working one day. Forum member jfoj has a thread about this, and tons of story's about sudden fuel pump failures on high mileage cars. It's only about $120 for a pump and gasket from BMA parts, and it is worth it to avoid being stranded someday soon.
New plugs would not hurt, but I would bet that this is a fuel supply issue, unless you have already replaced the pump and filter. My pump failed with almost no prior trouble. I was lucky enough to have a new one in the trunk at the time, and avoided paying for a tow.
I would strongly urge you to change the pump and filter soon, if you have not done so.

BTW - that "flimsy foam" covering your CCV pipes is insulation. You got the cold weather version. It helps prevent the condensation in the lines and valve from freezing. It does also protect the hoses, which are somewhat delicate, and may help them last a while longer.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 04-15-2013 at 04:25 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote