E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Cpconst

My Ride: 2004 e46 m3
Cooling system post overhaul blunder

I did my cooling system overhaul on my 2004 325i about two months ago and everything has been trouble free until today. After a short trip to the store I pulled into my driveway and my engine compartment filled up with steam. I couldn't tell where the leak was so I filled the system up with antifreeze and started the engine. After about 8 minutes I saw steam coming from the lower rad hose at the radiator, it blew off! Wtf? Anyway I pushed the hose back on till I heard the clip seat and began to bleed the system. I set the heater to low and cracked the bleed screw which let the thing blow out steam like a freight train. No heat at the vents and the temp gauge was heading into the red so I shut it down till it cooled off. I repeated it a second time and it did exactly the same thing. My question is this, because I ran the engine without the lower hose connected did the cooling system suck in an abnormally huge amount of air? Still no heat and loads of steam.
Cpconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
No, it didn't suck air in. It lost its fluid and what fluid was left has turned to steam.
You should let it cool and then add fluid. Bleed it and add more fluid until it is correctly filled.

Did you drive it in the red at all?

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Cpconst

Never touched the red zone thank God!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Don't forget the OBC menu to get coolant temp, instant gauge
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Sure hope you didnt eff up the car!!

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
seigi009

My Ride: 03 325i
Dude this EXACT thing happened to me 5 days ago. I did a cooling overhaul last Sunday, last Tuesday I was parked but idling, I saw the temp over on the red (wife was driving and I didn't notice it until it was too late), shut the car down, saw the lower radiator hose was popped off. I put it back in, refilled/bled system and so far things seem to be ok. I was scared I blew a head gasket but since the car was only idling maybe it's ok. So far there are no signs of a bad head gasket so hopefully I dodged that bullet.
seigi009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
re-bleed

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Let us know how you make out.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Your car should not be running while you bleed.
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
David McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadner View Post
Your car should not be running while you bleed.
Don't you need water pump running to bleed system, circulate the fluid and expel air at the bleed point?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Cpconst

How do you think you're suppose to bleed the system without the engine running? Anyway, after filling and bleeding the system numerous times I finally got all the air out and all is perfect again. I think I was trying to be gentile with the lower radiator hose in not wanting to break the plastic port on the radiator. Live and learn!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
jakksfor20

My Ride: ZHP,ZHP,Slow 323ci
Did the exact same thing when I did mine about 9 months ago. Made it about 20 minutes down the road and noticed the temp gauge starting to go up. Luckily I was 1 minute from the office. Made it there and waited almost an hour before I put the hose back on and filled the system with water (all I had) then bled the system. Drove home and promptly drained and refilled with the correct 50/50 again. I never made it to the red thankfully and its been fine since.

Moral- don't be a wimp putting that hose on and tug on it to make sure.
jakksfor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
The original bmw bleeding instructions say do it with the car off.

There's another method (search Mango's thread for my post with 'alternative bleeding.'

Now, the bottles of coolant say to bleed it with it running.

But, the risk of the later is that coolant expands when hot...and you need two cups of air at least in the ET when it's cold. Be careful not to overfill.

BTW, just running it wouldn't be as good as the alternative method for knocking air bubbles out of the system, because you rev the engine to 3-4K rpms for 20 seconds (starting when cold).

Also, with alternative method, ET cap and bleeder screw are on and tightened.

Read more threads with cooling in the title...and keep checking that lower hose--especially if you used any aftermarket parts.

GL...hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
BMWCaptain

Best way to install the lower hose is to pull the clip up, slide the hose on far enough and then lower the clip so that it fits in the grove in the radiator outlet.

The real problem is when you want to take the hose off after it has been on the car a long time. It can be very difficult to pull off.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpconst View Post
How do you think you're suppose to bleed the system without the engine running?
A better question is; How are you supposed to bleed it while its running, if it keeps overheating?
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
David McMahon

Well seems no need to run water pump after all, (From Mango's thread)

(Mango's thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109 )
CAUTION: ONLY DO THIS WHEN CAR IS COOL AND ENGINE IS OFF. At no point should the engine be turned on.

1) Remove expansion tank cap and bleed screw and set aside

2) Turn ignition to ON (dash lights on but do NOT start the car)

3) Set heat to MAXIMUM (90) and fan speed to low (this opens heater valve)

4) Begin to fill your expansion tank with ideally a 50/50 mix of Genuine BMW coolant and distilled water (do not use anything else--no reason to. The proper stuff is cheap) The system might take a while to swallow the water. Massage the hoses if you think it will help. Keep pouring. Water will begin to pour out of the bleed screw hole with air bubbles. The point is to keep filling and filling until the bubbles are gone. This may take a while--be patient.

5) Once you are satisfied that a continual stream of bubble-free water is emerging from the bleed hole and that your cooling system is adequately filled, go ahead and replace the bleed screw (do not overtighten). The expansion tank will be full to the top at this point so you'll need to siphon off any excess so that the appropriate tank level can be achieved.

***From Mango***

Last edited by David McMahon; 04-15-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added direct link
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
Don't you need water pump running to bleed system, circulate the fluid and expel air at the bleed point?
No. Air will rise to the highest point naturally. The system is not air-locked pre/post thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpconst View Post
How do you think you're suppose to bleed the system without the engine running? Anyway, after filling and bleeding the system numerous times I finally got all the air out and all is perfect again. I think I was trying to be gentile with the lower radiator hose in not wanting to break the plastic port on the radiator. Live and learn!
By following my instructions which are the instructions set forth by BMW AG.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
jsaklas

My Ride: Chrysler PT Cruiser
BMW Captain,

You said it all when you said, "The real problem is when you want to take the hose off after it has been on the car a long time. It can be very difficult to pull off." Is there a trick of the trade you can suggest. I'm redoing the cooling system and I'm stumped at getting that lower hose off.
jsaklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaklas View Post
BMW Captain,

You said it all when you said, "The real problem is when you want to take the hose off after it has been on the car a long time. It can be very difficult to pull off." Is there a trick of the trade you can suggest. I'm redoing the cooling system and I'm stumped at getting that lower hose off.
On a cold car, maybe try pouring some hot, hot water onto the connector so the connector expands but not the radiator piece. If you are gentle, you could also insert a wide blade flat head screw driver or trim removal tool b/w the hose connector and the radiator connector flange. Twist the tool so it pushes the hose connector away from the radiator fitting. Be gentle, and move locations around the circumference of the hose.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaklas View Post
BMW Captain,

What I do is wiggle it left to right and then up and down at the same time pulling it off.

I also put silicone grease on the fitting when installing the new one. This helps it to go on easily and makes it easy to pull off in the future.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 05-06-2013 at 05:28 PM.