E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #341
Juan-kirk
Banned User

Nice information but it can be complexed.
Juan-kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #342
bumere46

My Ride: E92
yeah, very few 02's had this problem.
never seen trans failure in 03's and up
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #343
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
That is great work! Glad to see you found your reverse issue and fixed it yourself. This is the kind of repairs I like.

I am sure this will help others who have a reverse issue.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #344
danfey

My Ride: BMW 2000 328 ci
hi! my 00 328ci A/T is hard to shift during cold weather but when the engine warm up going back to normal again? what is the prob of my tranny?tnx! i have no reverse issue ..

Last edited by danfey; 04-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.
danfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #345
fishb0n3

My Ride: 323ci convertible
yea i just had the no reverse on my car 10 days ago ! but its a ZF transmission ! so i had to rebuild it !! my car have only 108k miles on it !
1990 corvette ( C4 ) ZR1
2002 325ci vert " project car "
2000 323ci vert -totaled-
2003 z4 3.0i -sold-
fishb0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #346
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfey View Post
hi! my 00 328ci A/T is hard to shift during cold weather but when the engine warm up going back to normal again? what is the prob of my tranny?tnx! i have no reverse issue ..
This is a common problem, more noticeable in colder climates.

You need to change fluid and filter first to make sure it is not a result of low fluid level.

If fluid and filter change does not fix it, then it is probably aging of seals and pistons. Just need to warm fluid up a little before taking off.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #347
rickcarpenter

My Ride: 2002 325x1
I have read all I can possibly find on BMW Reverse and tranny issues. I can NOT find any that are similar to mine though. I will start from the beginning... I have a 2003 325xi wagon with 130K. Bought used 2 years ago. The first thing I noticed was that I would start it cold (like winter cold in Wisconsin) and it would surge forward (in park) just an inch or so until park gear stopped it. So the trans wasn't 100% disengaged as you'd think in park. Then #2 minor symptom was that I would back out of driveway, switch to drive and get a pause (like in neutral) before it engages.
So that brings me to the real issue: When backing up I noticed a few weeks ago that it felt like I hit several intermittent patches of ice (jerking) kinda like traction control was doing something weird or the trans was just engaging and disengaging rapidly. Looking at where I was there was no icy spots. Now it does it almost every time i back up for 20 feet or more and is much worse if im backing up with more "spirit" or load.
Is this what preceded the "no-reverse" folks that I am reading about, or do i have a totally different issue? Is it even the trans? Could transfer case or diffs be doing this? Sensors?
rickcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #348
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
Problems with GM trany on Breather leaking oil at times

Hello, I know I don't have an E46 but I'm hoping someone my have had the same problem with a GM Trany, my Green label has GM 1-423-875 VO on it. So it seems it the same one used in the e46 series. My problem is that at times. When the car is cold and I put the car in reverse, start to back out I see oil spots on ground, sometimes as big as 4" in diameter. After many attempts to find the problem, today I finally saw that it was coming out of the top of the BREATHER on top of the GM Trany. It does seem to do it only when it goes in reverse? But I can be 100% positive? The trans was serviced about 3k ago for this problem, but the shop never saw the leak from the breather so they just went ahead and serviced the transmission. So far the car shifts good and has no reverse problem, at least not yet. So any thoughts on the AFT coming out of the Breather? I don't think that the trany is overfilled? Because it was doing the same thing before it was serviced.

Thanks
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #349
jrcarter_2000

My Ride: 323i
Exclamation valve body

replaced the valve body after the solenoid fix didn't work, shifts from 10-30mph range are a bit harder and not as smooth as the old valve body but hopefully this fixed the intermittent reverse issue
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #350
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
I read page 1 and page 18... Interesting... I'm a former ASE mechanic, and when I ran a little shop 20+ years ago, we would rebuild the occasional tranny. I just helped my very good friend & former mechanic rebuild a 4L80E from my '93 Silverado 3/4 ton diesel. That tranny is a giant sized TH400 w overdrive and some parts even interchange. In fact the reverse drum on mine was bad, so we used one from a '72 Delta 88.
Anyhow, as I read p. 1, I have a ZF tranny in my '03 325xi wagon, and from my wife driving it 325 miles home, and me testing it 1 mile on a side street, it seems to work very well! When I get the papers needed to register the car, I will change the trans oil and filter.

Are there solenoids like in the GM tranny to flush?

I had a slite downshift flare in Mrs Acura, and was suggested to flush the solenoids w carb cleaner. I did so, and the condition diminished appreciably.

Here's the video from the Acura a few years back. I recently saw the car around, I wonder if the tranny is still working. It was a 1 owner 125k car.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #351
riverjamie

My Ride: 528i
Corvairwild, yes the GM has solenoids, but my 5L40e (2000 528i) are all inside. I liked your video, just curious after you fixed the Acura did it still leak to the outside? I pull out my solenoids when I do my ATF change after running this varnish cleaner I have in my Trany from SeaFoam Trans Tune. Not sure how hard it is to remove the solenoids? Well good luck.

Here's where I'm at with my 5L40E so far.

Well today added the SeaFoam Trans Tune 8oz. at 117302. I did notice that the Pentosin ATF1 looked very dark only after 4K. I don't know what it looked like when it was change at 113K? So can only take the mechanic's word thar it was changed? I called Pentosin they said that the ATF1 should be Amber and translucent. Well it look like neither. So going to run the SeaFoam then do a purge, install new fluid (Valvoline MaxLife and filter. I watched a good Youtube video by some German guys on how to purge the system by disconnecting the return cooler line and pumping the fluid out through it, then refilling the trany, after about three times the fluid looked pretty good. So hope that will work for me? Also has anyone used the Pentosin ATF1 product? Do you know if it turns to a dark brown in a short time, like 4K?

Also as I said above I might try to remove all the solenoids and make sure the screens are clean.
riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #352
CORVAIRWILD

The Acura was a few years ago, and I don't recall any leaks, but the shifting flare was greatly diminished. Any external leak could have been simply adressed w a new O-ring. I keep 2 different (made in China) O-ring kits on the shelf

Transmission oil will carry any deteriorating clutch material in it. If the oil is dark, it's an indication of lots of wear, or overheated oil. Smell it? If it has a toasted smell, the clutches may be toast... (Get it? Burned toast?). Deposit a drop on a piece of white tissue paper. Redder is better... Magnefine offers a transmission filter. I installed one a the Silverado after the tranny was rebuilt. I think it was from Ebay, made in Australia, I think. A quality filter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magn...ient=firefox-a

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9315.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	509911   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9316.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	509912   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9317.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	509913   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9318.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	509914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1074.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	509915   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1079.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	509916   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1087.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	509917  
Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #353
Seth9976

My Ride: 2000 BMW328i
Send a message via Skype™ to Seth9976
Help

2000 bmw 328i no reverse, I replaced the solenoid in the tranny filled with new fluid and filter still won't go in R any ideas what I should do? Any input will be helpful thanx
Seth9976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #354
Seth9976

My Ride: 2000 BMW328i
Send a message via Skype™ to Seth9976
Ok

I pushed the car out of my driveway drove down the road and back and reverse cam back I let the car sit for a few hours and it's still working so we will see tomorrow morning if it still works thanks ill let u know how it goes I have another issue after I replaced the battery in the car the doors won't unlock only with the key
Seth9976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #355
CORVAIRWILD

Punctuation?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #356
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
Punctuation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth9976 View Post
2000 bmw 328i no reverse, I replaced the solenoid in the tranny filled with new fluid and filter still won't go in R any ideas what I should do? Any input will be helpful thanx
You could have a ZF tranny, which means you need to open your tranny and replace the reverse drum.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #357
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
If the solenoid doesn't fix it or you have a forward gear problem I posted a rebuild DIY in the DIY section.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1000845
Darrell
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #358
bmwsedan99

My Ride: 1999 bmw 323i 2003h2
which Tranny do i have

Hey everyone I have a 1999 323I 4 door sedan I have had this car for a few years and want to do a fluid and filter change I counted the number of bolts holding the pan on and came up with 20 with none missing Now all the filters I see on the internet when I go to order a filter and gasket ask if it is a 16 or 22 bolt pan and also what size torx bit is used to take the fill plug loose
bmwsedan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #359
bmwsedan99

well tag on side of transmission has GM on it with other numbers and every filter I have ran across so far either has a 22 bolt pattern or 16 even the one I ordered from BMW
Old 08-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #360
bmwsedan99

filter and gasket that is

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission