E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Trijicon RMR Review

I had a chance to test out the RMR (RO07 - 6.5moa dot) last weekend along with the red Rudy Project lenses and TCI DEHP.

For the initial test I focused on 3-5 yards using the Dot Torture and 1-2-R-3 drills. These are two of my "go-to" accuracy targets and I thought that they would be a great way to test out the RMR.

It took some time to get comfortable looking for the dot instead of the front and rear sight. A friend that runs one did tell me that it usually takes a solid day of shooting and several hundred rounds to become completely comfortable with an RMR.

I won't say that I'm completely comfortable at this point, and I still find myself looking for the front and rear sight instead the dot. More dry fire practice will help with that.

Take-aways:
Even though I'm only a few hundred rounds through testing, I can see how the red dot will help decrease the time it takes to get the initial sight picture and follow up shots.
The difference between the RM06 and RM07 dot size is neglibable at close ranges.
I played with the brightness settings, and I don't think that I will have to worry about wash out during bright, sunny days.
I focused on accuracy instead of speed, so I mostly stayed with the lower settings to mitigage blooming.
The dot highlights how much your hands move.
The RMR provides a great handle for racking the slide (hand, belt, bench, leg, etc.) and will come in handy during the next class.

TCI DEHP are amazing. They are very comfortable, and even shooting my SBR indoors, I didn't need to add a the Surefire Sonic Defenders as secondary protection. I had my buddy that owns the range just try them on and he was immediately sold and is ordering a pair for himself and his wife. The gel inserts sealed right around my shooting glasses, unlike the Howard Leights.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I had a chance to test out the RMR (RO07 - 6.5moa dot) last weekend along with the red Rudy Project lenses and TCI DEHP.

For the initial test I focused on 3-5 yards using the Dot Torture and 1-2-R-3 drills. These are two of my "go-to" accuracy targets and I thought that they would be a great way to test out the RMR.

It took some time to get comfortable looking for the dot instead of the front and rear sight. A friend that runs one did tell me that it usually takes a solid day of shooting and several hundred rounds to become completely comfortable with an RMR.

I won't say that I'm completely comfortable at this point, and I still find myself looking for the front and rear sight instead the dot. More dry fire practice will help with that.

Take-aways:
Even though I'm only a few hundred rounds through testing, I can see how the red dot will help decrease the time it takes to get the initial sight picture and follow up shots.
The difference between the RM06 and RM07 dot size is neglibable at close ranges.
I played with the brightness settings, and I don't think that I will have to worry about wash out during bright, sunny days.
I focused on accuracy instead of speed, so I mostly stayed with the lower settings to mitigage blooming.
The dot highlights how much your hands move.
The RMR provides a great handle for racking the slide (hand, belt, bench, leg, etc.) and will come in handy during the next class.

TCI DEHP are amazing. They are very comfortable, and even shooting my SBR indoors, I didn't need to add a the Surefire Sonic Defenders as secondary protection. I had my buddy that owns the range just try them on and he was immediately sold and is ordering a pair for himself and his wife. The gel inserts sealed right around my shooting glasses, unlike the Howard Leights.
I really can't wait to try yours out. I had a feeling that the dot would emphasize movement remorse. I'm curious about using the thing for racking and stuff though. I imagine its on there ultra-secure, but still seems odd to me to make it a handle haha

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

It's keyed into the slide, so the torque applied is not supported by just the screws that hold it down.

I've read a few AARs from people using RMRs, and one first hand account of the RMR being used and taught to be used as a handle. They really are very well designed.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Excellent! Great to hear about the RMRs. They are really gaining popularity on pistols, and I think there is a future with them in mainstream pistol combat and duty use.
The TCIs make a massive difference in quality. They are very expensive, but they are worth every penny. I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Excellent! Great to hear about the RMRs. They are really gaining popularity on pistols, and I think there is a future with them in mainstream pistol combat and duty use.
I do too, and I think that Smith and Wesson is positioning themselves nicely with the release of the M&P Core. If I didn't have two 19s, I would have been a little hesitant to send the slide off to be milled but it was really a no brainer. I've got a one day basic pistol class coming up in May, and I my plan is to run the RMR in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The TCIs make a massive difference in quality. They are very expensive, but they are worth every penny. I'm glad to hear that you like it.
They are expensive (even though I found a 10% off coupon code), but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Losing my hearing is not worth skimping on adequate protection. I'm increasing the number of classes and shooting indoors that I'm doing, so I think it's a wise investment. With the Howard Leights, I had to double up by using the Surefire's which was negating the entire purpose of using electronic ear pro to begin with.

Last edited by Serbonze; 04-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
I have one for my fn45tac and even though I have only shot once with it, I must say its amazing.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Aching to try out the new toys Jeff...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
This is my best friends setup with a RMR. I personally have problems with follow up shots with them, its a training issue though.

tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Love the picture with the Winchester Ranger SXT ammo.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I have the dual-illuminated RMR05 (9 MOA) on my Benelli m1014 which has pretty good ghost ring sights already but I wanted to try out a reflex sight with it. Not as big a deal with buckshot but it does help more when I'm using slugs.
It requires a rail accessory to fit on shotguns to lift it up a bit, I got the Trijicon RM33 Low Picatinny Mount.
I have the option to fit it to a handgun if I want to at some point but most likely get another if I do. I like it as it's compact size isn't too obtrusive compared to some of the other reflex/red dot sights I looked at.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 09-18-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote