E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
I agree with JJ
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Now imagine this call....

911, what is your emergency?

"Yes, there are two black guys across the street from my house and they look like they are up to no good."

"Sir, what are they doing"

"Sitting on the stoop talking, but their pants are baggy and they have that rope looking hair, and they look scary."

Then cops show up, and arrest them for not breaking any laws.

Does that sit right with you? What if the caller had a real fear of black men? Justified?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #43
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Lol I wish I could call animal control and be like " yea my neighbors dog looks like it's about to bark "

Edit: Isn't this how everyone walks around in texas?

Last edited by Vin Vega; 04-16-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #44
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Vega View Post
Lol I wish I could call animal control and be like " yea my neighbors dog looks like it's about to bark "

Edit: Isn't this how everyone walks around in texas?
Exactly. It's a matter of context. In NYC or maybe LA, someone with a gun or a rifle would immediately be "out of place." However, in a state like Texas? Hell, they proudly state that "everyone in texas has a gun." It's nothing unusual.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #45
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Yea, being from NY, the first thing I noticed when I walked into a waffle house was the "no concealed weapons" sign with a gun with an X over it, like a no smoking sign. Me and my family were cracking up at it. They didn't find it as funny.

If he was black, gay, handicapped, woman, or all of the above they probably would have treated him with respect because this would go down as a hate crime on anyone other than a white male. That's right, I said it!
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #46
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
Looked like an AR-15 to me. Could be wrong, but yea watch the video. They were called there by a citizen.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #47
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
bottom line is the country is split on this, just like abortion/death penalty/etc.

half the country fears guns, half clings to their rights. ( and it it likely not exactly half, u know what i mean)

i think most of the fear of guns is lack of knowledge/education.

edit: also saw he was walking with the rifle across his chest on a hiking trail, not down main st.

Last edited by wrighterjw10; 04-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
Well excuuuuse me. I shot M-16s in the military. The only difference between those and an AR is the 3 round burst on M16. Right? So, technically it's not an assault rifle, yes. How easy is it to mess with the trigger mechanism and make it full auto though? Serious question.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #49
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
I wouldn't necessarily feel safer with someone carrying a rifle strapped to their back/slung over their shoulder, but I wouldn't feel any less safe either.

People overreact, that includes LEOs as well.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #50
MB469

My Ride: 06 A4 *sold*
Hell, just get the bump fire stock instead of messing with the trigger. I think the LE will be found at fault here, many states have open carry laws, which is what this guy was doing. Legally, he can walk down the street with a rifle strapped. And of course, citizens will call in and complain, so the LE shows up. But since he has done nothing wrong, he doesn't even have to show his ID, if he wanted to be a prick.
MB469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakksfor20 View Post
A father and son looking for trouble? Really? More people need to do it so the 99.82% of legal gun owners can show that legal gun owners are the majority and that what the news reports is not law abiding citizens.

If I saw someone carrying an open weapon I would think I am more protected than not seeing one.
Yeah. I've seen a couple of these vids where some NRA enthusiast decides to put the law to the test and openly (and possibly legally) carry a gun out in the middle of the day while they are just walking around for no reason other than to videotape their encounter with the cops so they can strut their knowledge of the law.

If you feel safer with people carrying guns around you at a starbucks, lol. Enjoy. The rest of the world does not agree with you. If I see grandpa Joe ordering a latte with a rifle strapped on him, even if he looks totally harmless, I am GTFO of there. The problem is you have no idea who they are, or why they have a gun. You don't know if they are there just walking with a gun, or are there to shoot up the mall.

And before you argue something absurd like I hate guns, nothing could be further from the truth. I support the right to own and carry weapons for one thing only: SELF DEFENSE. I even support concealed carry if the person is put through a rigorous test/check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
No assault rifle was carried and no law was broken

Inform me again WHY the cops where even there to begin with?
People called in a person walking with a gun.

Look, this is TX apparently where it is legal to openly carry. If people there are calling this in, you better believe it is some weird assed ****. It is not normal to walk around in public with a rifle. PERIOD.

I feel bad for his kid.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 04-16-2013 at 09:43 PM.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #52
nardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post

Look, this is TX apparently where it is legal to openly carry. If people there are calling this in, you better believe it is some weird assed ****. It is not normal to walk around in public with a rifle. PERIOD.

I feel bad for his kid.
It's not normal to exercise a right? It also happens to be legal to open carry a rifle in TX

Last edited by nardog; 04-16-2013 at 09:48 PM.
nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #53
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Yeah. I've seen a couple of these vids where some NRA enthusiast decides to put the law to the test and openly (and possibly legally) carry a gun out in the middle of the day while they are just walking around for no reason other than to videotape their encounter with the cops so they can strut their knowledge of the law.

If you feel safer with people carrying guns around you at a starbucks, lol. Enjoy. The rest of the world does not agree with you. If I see grandpa Joe ordering a latte with a rifle strapped on him, even if he looks totally harmless, I am GTFO of there. The problem is you have no idea who they are, or why they have a gun. You don't know if they are there just walking with a gun, or are there to shoot up the mall.

And before you argue something absurd like I hate guns, nothing could be further from the truth. I support the right to own and carry weapons for one thing only: SELF DEFENSE. I even support concealed carry if the person is put through a rigorous test/check.

I feel bad for his kid.
Absolutely all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardog View Post
It's not normal to exercise a right? It also happens to be legal to open carry a rifle in TX
Rights are conditional. Just look at the 1st amendment.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #54
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
i think most of the fear of guns is lack of knowledge/education.
Priceless.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #55
nardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Absolutely all of this.

Rights are conditional. Just look at the 1st amendment.
I never said they aren't conditional.

States can infringe on your rights under "strict scrutiny". And that strict scrutiny has been abused by most states that is beyond excessive.

Given the circumstances here, and the laws in TX, there were no laws violated in this video.

Last edited by nardog; 04-16-2013 at 10:01 PM.
nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #56
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Vega View Post
Yea, being from NY, the first thing I noticed when I walked into a waffle house was the "no concealed weapons" sign with a gun with an X over it, like a no smoking sign. Me and my family were cracking up at it. They didn't find it as funny.

If he was black, gay, handicapped, woman, or all of the above they probably would have treated him with respect because this would go down as a hate crime on anyone other than a white male. That's right, I said it!
I can pull up plenty of stories of black, gay, handicapped, women, being shot or being roughed up by the hands of the police. If he was black, they probably would have shot first and asked questions later.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #57
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Well excuuuuse me. I shot M-16s in the military. The only difference between those and an AR is the 3 round burst on M16. Right? So, technically it's not an assault rifle, yes. How easy is it to mess with the trigger mechanism and make it full auto though? Serious question.
so if it is not an assault rifle, please, do us all a favor and do not call it one. ignorance breeds ignorance.

the difference between your modern sporting rifle and an assault rifle is the select fire capability of the assault rifles. operationally, a semi-automatic ar-15 is no different than any other semi-automatic sporting/hunting rifles. both semi-auto and full auto rifles are legal to own in texas(following proper nfa guidelines)

as far as how easy it is to make a semi auto rifle full auto? not exactly sure.. i would imagine its a matter of swapping out some parts in the recievers. however, it is unlawful to do such a thing, so im not sure what exactly it has to do with the legality of owning a semi-auto ar. its like asking how easy it is to turn household appliances into bombs.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #58
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
It's illegal. If I didn't care about the law, I'd just buy an AK.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
so if it is not an assault rifle, please, do us all a favor and do not call it one. ignorance breeds ignorance.

the difference between your modern sporting rifle and an assault rifle is the select fire capability of the assault rifles. operationally, a semi-automatic ar-15 is no different than any other semi-automatic sporting/hunting rifles. both semi-auto and full auto rifles are legal to own in texas(following proper nfa guidelines)

as far as how easy it is to make a semi auto rifle full auto? not exactly sure.. i would imagine its a matter of swapping out some parts in the recievers. however, it is unlawful to do such a thing, so im not sure what exactly it has to do with the legality of owning a semi-auto ar. its like asking how easy it is to turn household appliances into bombs.
I'm guessing you didn't ace the analogy part of the SAT.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #60
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

Thats your right. You don't like guns? GTFO of there and go home where you have a guarantee of environment control.

Typical....we should control xyz but I support guns. How do you know that the grampa Joe at starbucks wasn't put through a check and isn't the world record holder for sharpshooting?

So what? If I call in a random walking black person, should they be arrested because "someone called it in?"

I feel bad for his kid.
So many holes it's almost comical. Replies in bold.