E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Sachs

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
Jat007

My Ride: 99' 323i
How about KYB brand?
Jat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #23
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E39 / 2011 M3
There are a ton or strut and shock replacements options available for E46's. Personally, if you haven't heard of the brand before and it's incredibly cheap and plus offers a lifetime warranty I would tend to stay away from that product. I think it's one of those situations where if the price is too good to be true the best approach would be to stay away. I think this is especially true with a component that supports the weight of your vehicle. With budget in mind Sachs replacement components are reasonably priced and are OE for the car so you end up getting the same part for less money. Two alternatives to Sachs are Bilstein Tourings and KYB's.

Now, I personally have no experience with Monroe shocks but I do know some people who have run them and have been pretty pleased with them so they may not be a bad alternative to the three that I mentioned above.

Last edited by FCPGroton; 04-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.
FCPGroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Jat007

So, you wouldn't recommend Meyle brand for Struts/Shocks?

Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat007 View Post
So, you wouldn't recommend Meyle brand for Struts/Shocks?

Thank you for your reply.
No problem. That's actually a good question, I totally forgot about Meyle as a possibility. We have quite a few customers using them in NYC and they hold up pretty well from my understanding. I believe the Meyle shock bodies are made out of steel as opposed to aluminum and that they are heavier. I don't think this makes them any more durable than the above mentioned brands, rather makes them cheaper to produce hence the price difference.

My opinion on the Meyle shocks and struts is they are good/adequate for a daily driven car. I wouldn't put them in the same league as Sachs or Bilstein but I think are probably comparable to Monroe or Monroe equivalent. I think that Meyle product for this application falls into two categories for most customers:

1) Someone who has a higher mileage car and doesn't want to spend a ton of money on replacement shocks and struts.

2) Someone who lives in an area with poor road conditions and doesn't want to spend a ton of money on replacement parts as they need to change parts more often.

If I was to rank all the above mentioned brands I think they would fall into place like this:
Best: Sachs and Bilstein
Better: KYB
Good: Meyle and Monroe

Last edited by FCPGroton; 04-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
Jat007

Perfect - Thank you!!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Jat007

Is there a way to find out if my 99' 323i equipped with a sport suspension or standard with just the VIN #? I can't afford to remove the struts and then order the struts and I'm out of a car for at least a week or so...

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Perfect - Thank you!!
No problem.

Quote:
Is there a way to find out if my 99' 323i equipped with a sport suspension or standard with just the VIN #? I can't afford to remove the struts and then order the struts and I'm out of a car for at least a week or so...

Thank you.
I should be able to determine equipment with the last 7 of your VIN. If you would like, PM me the digits and I will look into it for you.