E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #61
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenheim View Post
What I was under the imression of was that, the early models until 2002.5-2003 were notorious for the weak subframe. Granted the subframe is weak no matter what year, the early models were the worst. If I were you, I would do the TMS kit (or similar) and have a brace made in the trunk. it'll be a little pricey, but its way more cheap than paying over 4k to REPAIR and REINFORCE, than reinforce alone. Or just drive like a grandma, but for me, I bought an M3 to drive it like an M3, not just to look good.
Blahhh I hope mine is still in good shape and all I have to do is reinforce, rather than repair.. Where precisely should I look for this damage? I am in college right now and don't have the car with me, but I go on break in a week and wanna check this out. Maybe I can learn how to weld and do it mostly myself
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #62
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter94 View Post
Blahhh I hope mine is still in good shape and all I have to do is reinforce, rather than repair.. Where precisely should I look for this damage? I am in college right now and don't have the car with me, but I go on break in a week and wanna check this out. Maybe I can learn how to weld and do it mostly myself
This is not a good "learning project" for welding. The subframe is the rear differential/suspension carrier that the rear suspension and differential bolt to. The failure points are the rear floor that it mounts to (4 mounting points with big bushings). If you want to spend the time to figure out how to take it apart and put it back in, please hire a mobile welder that is qualified to do this kind of work..
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #63
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
This is not a good "learning project" for welding. The subframe is the rear differential/suspension carrier that the rear suspension and differential bolt to. The failure points are the rear floor that it mounts to (4 mounting points with big bushings). If you want to spend the time to figure out how to take it apart and put it back in, please hire a mobile welder that is qualified to do this kind of work..
Yes you are definitely right about learning to weld on something that could potentially put my life and car at risk. I am hoping that since my grandmother originally drove the car, she took it easy on the launches

If I don't find any cracks or tears, what is the most I should pay to have the reinforcement plates welded in? I am confident that I can disassemble/reassemble the rear end. Its just the welding I am scared about. There's a shop not too far from me that has done it before, just need to see what prices I should be expecting?
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #64
jaybiRRd

My Ride: 2005 330i
if i remember correctly, wasnt Piper the shop that did that V10 E30? Glad you got everything fixed, but I would DEFINITELY take legal action against the dealership. How could a dealer sell you a car like that? Dont just eat that $4K or however much you ended up paying, get your ****ing money back.

Last edited by jaybiRRd; 03-16-2013 at 09:12 AM.
jaybiRRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #65
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
he signed a purchase contract for "as-is" and the anti-lemon laws only cover a certain period of time after the sale (like 2-3? depends on state maybe?) so the only option would be to take the dealer to court which has its additional costs and time spent, only resulting in the dealer continuing to refuse to pay since the payment is not enforceable by law. You would just hassle the dealer, but not as much as your own hassle, because the dealer has experience in dealing with these matters. Change the dealership name and voila, back to doing sketchy business.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #66
jaybiRRd

My Ride: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
he signed a purchase contract for "as-is" and the anti-lemon laws only cover a certain period of time after the sale (like 2-3? depends on state maybe?) so the only option would be to take the dealer to court which has its additional costs and time spent, only resulting in the dealer continuing to refuse to pay since the payment is not enforceable by law. You would just hassle the dealer, but not as much as your own hassle, because the dealer has experience in dealing with these matters. Change the dealership name and voila, back to doing sketchy business.
damn, thats some sad shiit.
jaybiRRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #67
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Yea i know where that is. Im right in Annapolis. Did you replace all of the associated bushings? I.E subframe, diff (front and back with the cover) ect ect.
Sure did, Subframe, Diff and RTABS. It was the only sensible thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter94 View Post
well...it's kinda hard to see if its just starting. you cant really see it without dropping the subframe. But if its already pretty bad, you will be able to feel it...and possibly see it punching cracks in the trunk floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
you are very correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Yup, thats exactly what they did. Changed the name slightly, and their phone number. Edited the online add (which I had the original printed out thank god) and stopped returning or answering my calls. The guy (Madi) would hand up as soon as he would hear my voice. Shady ****face. BBB basically said up yours even though I provided all the email logs, original add and Piper even vouched for me. All I can say for him is....

Karma's a ****.
Eisenheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #68
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
what's their new companies name?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #69
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
what's their new companies name?
Auto Madi - 187 West Shirley Ave., Warrenton, VA 20186

http://www.automotiveguideonline.com...rections.shtml

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AUTO-...01600009901627

Pathetic ****s. Their site isn't even running hahah. All they have is a FB, and my car is actually on there.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #70
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
pillage them
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #71
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
pillage them
Old 05-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #72
Eisenheim

th?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Yea i know where that is. Im right in Annapolis. Did you replace all of the associated bushings? I.E subframe, diff (front and back with the cover) ect ect.
Yea I replaced the Diff, Sub frame and RTABs while it was getting done. Powerflex diff and sub frame, and UUC RTABs....man did those RTABs squeek for a bit. You doing the Philly Cheese steak run on the 19th?