E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #101
100mileperhour

My Ride: 2000 323ci ZSP
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
Replaced my boots last night while doing my CCV and DISA. Well worth the extra $30. Make sure you align the hose clamps to where you can get to them. The idiot who had worked on the car before me pointed them in the worst direction ever.
I'll agree whole hardly on that one! I can't tell how many hours it took me to get those bastards off! A socket was about the only way I could get them off!

German Car #1 - 2000 323ci ZSP Sport Package 223,000 miles and climbing 140 miles a day!
German Car #2 - 1984 Porsche 944 N/A 132,000 miles/Speed Yellow
100mileperhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #102
Iblu90

My Ride: BMW 330ci
I just did this.. It sucks!!!!!!
Iblu90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #103
Dentite

My Ride: 325Ci 5mt ZSP
Just did mine last night and thought I would share my experience as well in hopes that in might help others.

I had been living with a "squealing" noise when under throttle at low RPMs...for example when nearly "lugging" the engine in third gear at 1000-1500rpms.

Bought the upper and lower intake tubes and started the process.

I removed the airbox with MAF but not the intake portion over the grill holes. Wow it was tight in there. Screws on the hose clamps facing downward of course.

I did end up removing the cabin filter housing...not because it gave me any more room but it allowed access to the clip that let me remove the heat/splash shield near the brake booster. Getting that shield out is a little finicky but it gave me more room to work.

6mm socket with a swivel attachment is invaluable here...much better than a slotted screwdriver for those hose clamp screws.

When I pulled the vacuum line from the upper intake tube, the lower hose disentegrated in my hand...that could have been the cause of the noise but I'm not sure. I didn't see any obvious leaks or tears in the upper or lower intake tubes but after replacing both and replacing the small hose that disentegrated with a small piece of rubber hose from a brake bleeding kit the "squeal" seems to be gone thankfully.

Now I need to redo the front suspension and rear shocks this weekend.

Thanks for those who shared their experiences. This should be a 15 minute job if everything was easily accessible but due to the tightness of the space it took me over an hour.

Last edited by Dentite; 04-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Dentite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #104
Buck Henry

My Ride: 2001 330ci Convertib
Just did this job myself too, and like others the hose clamp orientations on the boots could not have been more awkward. But I was able to lean in from above with a nut driver and contourt my hand / mouth / eyeballs enough to get the tool under there and get the clamps loose. Once loose, boot removal and reinstall was a piece of cake. Inspected my DISA and replaced it's o-ring while I was in there.

I was not blowing any lean codes, but original boots were 12 years old and were starting to look a bit rough. No cracks were found, but there were a few spots where it was apparant that it was just a matter of time. Oh, and a GSA DISA rebuild kit is on it's way.

Next up on the punch list; front wheel bearings and a new fuel filter. Wish me luck!
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #105
OUTATIME

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I too, had a SES accompanied with whistling. I'm thinking of DIY'ing this - but my mechanic said that he normally replaces both the upper and lower boot. Is this recommended, or just unnecessary?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #106
binhquang1

My Ride: 330i
I had this problem recently and could not pinpoint where and how was it happend. I know the sound came from general area where the intake tubes are. So I took it to a dealer and they could not duplicate the issue. By the way it only generated a whistle sound when engine gets hot, morning driving is OK but after work on my way home it does it. I am glad that I found this thread. First, Thanks for a DIY write up. It's just perfect. I did it within 1hr45. Agree that those hose claims are tough to reach and not much room to get the tool in, just be cool, you will get them out eventually. Anyway, inspected the elbow, cracked, replace a new tube elbow, thought that the whistling sound went away after 30 miles but then they came back. Notice that at the stop light while that sound was on I released brake paddle and applied brake again and the sound went away so i repeated the process while driving with sound on and magically the sound stopped. Is it possible the whistle sound somehow relate to the brake ???? BTW, it's 2003, 330i, approximately 61,000 on it

Last edited by binhquang1; 10-10-2013 at 12:15 PM.
binhquang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #107
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
If one wants to pinpoint a vacuum leak without wasting time scratching one's head and unnecessarily replacing parts one after the other, all one has to do is a what's called a smoke test. Diagnose it, don't just throw parts at the problem.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #108
Denim Dan

My Ride: 2004 325i
Nice work

Last edited by Denim Dan; 10-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Denim Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #109
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
DIY: Intake boot replacement. No more whistle while accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim Dan View Post
Help!!
I am currently in the process of doing this. I removed my upper and lower boots the other day. However, when trying to install the new ones together they won't fit? I thought I read somewhere online that there is a plastic piece that connects the two boots together. If this is the case i am afraid i did not see it and threw it away with the old boots. Is there a part # for this connection peice? Or do the boots simply slide on top one another?

Thanks!
I did it like 4 years ago and I do recall this issue. There was something like a connection piece inside the old boot I think

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #110
rileyedisonn

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via Skype™ to rileyedisonn
Thanks for the write-up OP, I was feeling pretty sorry that this took me over an hour to do but then I saw that some people were taking 2+ and some poor soul went for 6 hours? How many beer breaks do you reckon were taken? Anyways, feeling much better now.
rileyedisonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #111
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
Thanks for this DIY, I found it really helpful replacing my lower intake boot and cleaning my ICV today.

Using a flexible extension like this helped a lot getting that lower intake boot out.
http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/558835/00314
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #112
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Glad people found this helpful.

Also if I may add to ease removing the clips a flexible screw driver (looks like a tightly coiled spring) and a 6mm socket works wonders on removing these hose clamps throughout the engine.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #113
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Here's what I use, just a pic to show you guys what the tool looks like. It makes many repairs easy, (no need to buy snap-on unless you do it professionally)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1401210523.249980.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	559799

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #114
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
I just did this diy (well in the middle of it). I am on the reinstall part now and the lower intake boot is already installed. So now I am at the point of attaching the upper intake boot to the lower one, however for the life of me can't figure out how to attach the two together as it is a rubber to rubber connection, like the reinstall of step 11. If someone could chime in that would be great.
5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #115
Denim Dan

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCZHP View Post
I just did this diy (well in the middle of it). I am on the reinstall part now and the lower intake boot is already installed. So now I am at the point of attaching the upper intake boot to the lower one, however for the life of me can't figure out how to attach the two together as it is a rubber to rubber connection, like the reinstall of step 11. If someone could chime in that would be great.

I had the same issue. There is actually a plastic piece that goes in between the boots and is the connection. Most likely is was on the old boots and you threw it away ( ask me how I know). Anyways, they are relatively cheap to pick up
Denim Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #116
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim Dan View Post
I had the same issue. There is actually a plastic piece that goes in between the boots and is the connection. Most likely is was on the old boots and you threw it away ( ask me how I know). Anyways, they are relatively cheap to pick up

Yeah found it. I was just standing there thinking wtf?! There is no way possible this is right but everything is right in front of me lol. It was just attached to the old one like you said. Ironic though how none of the diy videos comment on the piece

5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, diy, engine, intake, whistle