E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
potate311

My Ride: Noneya
E46 UUC strut bar disappointment rant

TL;DR: Do not buy the E46 UUC strut bar.

I know I am new here and mostly joined to find used parts and such, but now I have a rant.

First of all, I would just like to say that Bavarian Autosports showed outstanding customer service in this ordeal and I would definitely recommend them.

Rant on. I know there is heated debate about the usefulness of strut braces, but I thought I would give one a try for myself. The UUC "Strutbarbarian" strut bar for my E46 came in yesterday, and I was immediately very disappointed. Here's why.

The "precision CNC machined and laser cut" end plates are garbage. One of them has a hole that is completely in the wrong spot, the other has a hole and countersink that were machined AFTER the part was painted, some of the holes are left with sharp edges and rough surfaces, and ALL of the holes with countersinks are off center from the countersink so it is impossible to even get a socket on the nuts. Also, the plates will not fit without removing the stock alignment pins, the end plates are flat and do not even fit the contour of the strut towers, the design of the end plates does not allow for camber adjustment, the bar bows down in the middle when it is bolted down, the paint is flaking off, and I could go on and on.

If this were a $75 cheap part, I would expect some cutting corners in manufacturing, but this is nearly $300 and advertised as "the best possible product at any price, at any cost. By using massive overkill engineering, we have ensured that the StrutBarbarian left nothing to compromise." What a joke. I am a mechanical engineer, and this is definitely not engineered at all... Also, "massive overkill engineering" would be a bad thing.... haha.

To top it all off, and this is probably the most ridiculous part, but I hope nobody ever wants to email UUC... Their website literally says, "DO NOT EMAIL ME" Wow. Also, my bad review of their product did not show up on the site, big surprise.

Ok, rant off. Sorry for the incredibly long post.
potate311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
you got any pics? I always wanted their strut bar but couldn't see myself spending $300 for it. I instead got the ECS Carbon Fiber Strut Bar...Fitment was perfect and looks awesome. Price is fair I think.... $169.95 with free shipping.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ement/ES10995/
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Everything uuc makes sucks. And that rob guy is a complete idiot, I have more brain power in my pinky. Trying to explain something to him is like talking to a toddler. I tore one of there engine mounts in two with in a week and he couldn't understand what I was explaining so I just sent a picture lol, then he sent me the "new upgraded" ones. I took two wrenches and put the closed ends on the bolts and ripped them in half with little force. Its a fcking bolt in a circle plate superglued to poly lol so lame. Sway bars came with chips in the powdercoating all over short shifter came with wrong bushings and so on. Only think good unfit from them was the clutch line.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
potate311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
you got any pics? I always wanted their strut bar but couldn't see myself spending $300 for it. I instead got the ECS Carbon Fiber Strut Bar...Fitment was perfect and looks awesome. Price is fair I think.... $169.95 with free shipping.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ement/ES10995/
Unfortunately, that does not fit on the M3 for some reason. I didn't mention mine is an M3. That is a very nice looking piece, though, and a very fair price. I love ECS. I've emailed them asking why it won't fit on the M3, since most of the bars don't seem to be specific to the M3.

I don't have any pictures right now, but I will get some before I ship this thing back.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by potate311 View Post
Unfortunately, that does not fit on the M3 for some reason. I didn't mention mine is an M3. That is a very nice looking piece, though, and a very fair price. I love ECS. I've emailed them asking why it won't fit on the M3, since most of the bars don't seem to be specific to the M3.
Positioning of our ECS E46 Strut bar causes clearances issues with the E46 M3 which are not found on the Non M cars. You can always PM me (direct to a bimmer guy) instead of emailing us with BMW questions, most of the time I'll answer them a TON faster than our sales staff (they have to ask those of us on the BMW team for answers most of the time).

-James

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
potate311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Positioning of our ECS E46 Strut bar causes clearances issues with the E46 M3 which are not found on the Non M cars. You can always PM me (direct to a bimmer guy) instead of emailing us with BMW questions, most of the time I'll answer them a TON faster than our sales staff (they have to ask those of us on the BMW team for answers most of the time).

-James
Wow, I'm stupid. I didn't even think about contacting you on here. Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me what specifically doesn't clear? I am willing to make some modifications if it is something small.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by potate311 View Post
Wow, I'm stupid. I didn't even think about contacting you on here. Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me what specifically doesn't clear? I am willing to make some modifications if it is something small.
I'll send you a PM.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
NoGuru

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Good to know, I was thinking about getting UUC but going with ECS now
NoGuru is offline   Reply With Quote