E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #661
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
Im having a hell of a time installing my side skirts, anyone know any tips or tricks? Its been like 3 hours, i feel like a dumbass lol
Well, first thing is to make sure you have the M3-specific side skirt clips. Without those (for sure) only the (1) front and (1)rear clips will fit in. Other than that, should be straightforward.. a few clips aren't used on the skirt

Last edited by hi its me alec; 04-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #662
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Well, first thing is to make sure you have the M3-specific side skirt clips. Without those (for sure) only the (1) front and (1)rear clips will fit in. Other than that, should be straightforward.. a few clips aren't used on the skirt
I purchased all M3 clips, im assuming i need someone to help me? Also did you put the clips on the car first or did you put the clips on the skirts first?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #663
hi its me alec

Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
I purchased all M3 clips, im assuming i need someone to help me? Also did you put the clips on the car first or did you put the clips on the skirts first?
Put the clips on the skirts first, but make sure that everything lines up. Coupes and sedans share a few clips, but not all. That applies to both - the clips on the side, as well as the push rivets on the bottom.

On mine, I just eyed it out and called it good when I had more than 4 clips holding my skirt up. I rocked it with only 2 clips per skirt for 3 years or so, because I was using my OEM sedan clips and that's all that would fit.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 04-12-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #664
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Put the clips on the skirts first, but make sure that everything lines up. Coupes and sedans share a few clips, but not all. That applies to both - the clips on the side, as well as the push rivets on the bottom.

On mine, I just eyed it out and called it good when I had more than 4 clips holding my skirt up. I rocked it with only 2 clips per skirt for 3 years or so, because I was using my OEM sedan clips and that's all that would fit.
Are you using all the clips now? I purchased 22 clips and some did break lol
If you're still using two clips how come yours doesnt look wavy at all?

One side skirt is on but its wavy because i need to clip it properly, im going to try again tomorrow, hopefully i can get it on easy
Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #665
hi its me alec

Quote:
Are you using all the clips now? I purchased 22 clips and some did break lol
If you're still using two clips how come yours doesnt look wavy at all?

One side skirt is on but its wavy because i need to clip it properly, im going to try again tomorrow, hopefully i can get it on easy
When I was using OEM 328i clips (the ones off my stock skirts) I only had the front and rear clips in.

Now, since I got M3 clips, I have 4 or 5 clips in per skirt. Plus a few on the bottom, whatever fits.

The only thing that you need to know is, certain clips will NOT line up, and you need to make sure that those clips aren't installed. My skirts were kinda wavy with the stock 328 clips, and still are, only because I raped them trying to get everything to fit right away.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #666
c4lho888

My Ride: bmw 330i sedan
would the m3 side skirts make it look much differaint ?
c4lho888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #667
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lho888 View Post
would the m3 side skirts make it look much differaint ?
I think so.

But... that's for you to decide

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #668
c4lho888

are those m3 skirts you have on yours? dose it make it look lower and look wider?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #669
hi its me alec

Quote:
are those m3 skirts you have on yours? dose it make it look lower and look wider?
Yes sir, mine are OEM M3 skirts.

The stock non-M side skirts swoop inward, which causes the car to look taller and narrower. M3 and Mtech skirts both have nice little flares at the bottom to accent the lines of the car

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #670
c4lho888

i have mtec2 body kit is that the same
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #671
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
Quote:
no they're different
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #672
hi its me alec

Quote:
Jesus man, do some research!

This is not the thread to be asking these kinds of infantile questions

Last edited by hi its me alec; 04-18-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #673
c4lho888

this is a bmw forum init so thats why am asking ..if its too much trouble they why are you here
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #674
nodaysoff

My Ride: 2001 325 ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I hope this does not sound nit-picky, but I think it's important to make a side note on this one for those not knowing. Although the early M3s had easily swappable clear tail lamps(filament bulbs). Most M3s will have the LED clear tail lamps. So unless the Coupe is already fitted with LEDs(like the non-Sport Pacage coupes with amber LEDs) there will be several things/modifications that need to be done. First the 2 outter rings for the "Brake Force Display" will not function and be inoperative(only thing to do is to splice them in, or buy an aftermarket inertia trigger). Also one would need one or more of the following; The correct Light Control Module, a reflash for LEDs, the LED cable/wire adapter, resistors hooked up inline, and/or check system fuse pulled. Otherwise those M3 tail lamps will throw fault codes, strobe and flash rendering them unsafe and non operative.
Once again, not taking anything away from Alec's great work, but I feel this is an important point to someone reading this info for the first time to know what to expect.
Any one know where I can get any of the parts or reflash mentioned "the correct Light Control Module, a reflash for LEDs, the LED cable/wire adapter, resistors hooked up inline, and/or check system fuse pulled. Otherwise those M3 tail lamps will throw fault"
nodaysoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #675
hi its me alec

Quote:
this is a bmw forum init so thats why am asking ..if its too much trouble they why are you here
It's not too much trouble, I'm answering your questions. All I'm saying is that the last 20 posts in this thread have been you asking noob questions, instead of me answering the specifics of putting OEM M3 parts on a non-M. If you want to ask a broad variety of subjective questions on mtech and M3 parts, you can create your very own thread. Instead you've chosen to clutter up my 300k+ view thread that I made in 2006.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #676
c4lho888

if I knew the difference I wouldnt be asking and if you answered I wouldn't be asking 20times and clutter up your thread right :o
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #677
hi its me alec

Quote:
if I knew the difference I wouldnt be asking and if you answered I wouldn't be asking 20times and clutter up your thread right :o
That's why I suggested using the 'search' feature prior to asking questions from hence forth

Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #678
Welke

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Just need confirmation, if i currently have the sport steering wheel on my 02 330ci, I can purchase an M3 steering wheel without an airbag and use mine?
Welke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #679
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welke View Post
Just need confirmation, if i currently have the sport steering wheel on my 02 330ci, I can purchase an M3 steering wheel without an airbag and use mine?
correct. an '02 330Ci uses the "round" airbag which is the same for the M3
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #680
Welke

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Thank you very much
Welke is offline   Reply With Quote