E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Jim Gregory

My Ride: 2004 330CI
New owner new member camber questions

Hi all.
My girlfriend (live in) got a 330CI convertible last summer. Car appears to have had some body work done. But looks great. Drives great. She overheated it however these cars do that, and wound up with a new engine. Or shortblock or something. I wasnt involved yet. Then I was kind of involved. I noticed the tires were all worn on the inside shoulders. Shot in fact. I also noticed the car LOOKS dropped. She knows nothing about all this. So she got new tires and she got an alignment. I wasnt involved. She drove the car all summer and put it up for the winter. Now we live together and I am fully involved. I jacked the car up to do something and noticed the tires were ALL worn out on the inside shoulder again.
So about 5 thousand miles and 900 bucks and we need new tires again.
Did some research. I should note that the car drives and handles REAL well. I do get some wandering or tramlining on the highway. Some Indy charged her 900 bucks to fix that last year. Didnt fix it naturally.
Anyway, I notice the strut towers in the engine compartment have been adjusted all the way outboard. Still a ton of camber in the front. I know TON is not an amount but I don't know the amount.
I also don't know if there are adjustable arms in the back. I guess there are concentric bolts for adjustment and I don't know if these have been messed with. I'm just starting this odyssey of fixing the tire wear issue. I see it's not unheard of.
I think the car has the performance package and the handling package and POSSIBLY a lowering kit also. I do have to get her to stop eating tires or she must go. It also has the factory 18" wheels. Sadly also and auto transmission.
I'm thinking a camber kit may help or raising the car up a bit might help. I don't need the finest handling but I DO need tires to wear evenly. I'm not a mechanic but I can do stuff.
Any help would sure be appreciated
Jim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Jim Gregory

I should add that the wheel are staggered setup. I Don't have the car here or I would list numbers and add pics.
Jim
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Jim Gregory

no help for the new guy?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i
I have not had that problem but if both front and rear are wearing on the inside then it would make sense that lowering would cause it, especially considering that adjustability for camber is limited. Bavauto sells a camberplate, probably incresing the adjustability. The car looks great at stock height, if I were you, I'd return it to stock.

GM No Reverse - posts 443, 456

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Jim Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
I have not had that problem but if both front and rear are wearing on the inside then it would make sense that lowering would cause it, especially considering that adjustability for camber is limited. Bavauto sells a camberplate, probably incresing the adjustability. The car looks great at stock height, if I were you, I'd return it to stock.
I think I do want to return it to stock. Just not sure how to go about it. I guess start shopping for replacement springs.
The biggest problem here is I don't know what the heck I have. So it's hard to change things. Is there some way to figure out how the car was delivered? I'm pretty sure bringing it back to original trim is the best aproach. Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i
Do you see any markings, or anything different on the springs and shocks that would suggest they are aftermarket?
Many lowering springs and aftermarket struts and shocks are different colors.

GM No Reverse - posts 443, 456

E46 NO START - A list of possible causes

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Jim Gregory

Some pics

To me it looks like standard issue stuff. The shock number is for e46 sport suspension. The car doesnt look real low either. I dont think those wheels were standard issue but they are BMW wheels. Least it says so on the wheel.
The springs are black with 2 marks painted on. The camber I dont know how to measure but the top is in quite a bit from the bottom. I wonder if that concentric camber bolt is all the way towards positive. Dunno. See the pics. I really appreciate the help with this stuff!
Maybe I just need a GOOD 4 wheel alignment.

Last edited by Jim Gregory; 04-20-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add pic