E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Driven both of these. No thanks. I'll keep the Kia, or get an X5. I'd like someone who owns both to chime in as to how they feel about their X5.
In my extended family we've had E53's a E70 E46's E9x's an '01 MDX and a '05 Explorer.

The MDX was quite reliable below 100k miles and handled ok. The explorer is very reliable -- I would get an explorer before a 4Runner when you consider reliability/size/value. The E70 almost drives like a sports car compared to alot of other less refined cars/trucks. An E53 with miles is going to need alot of maintenance....

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 04-17-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Here's my response to Kerunt when he asked about the 2004 X5 vs 2004 530i:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15257124

Quote:
I have a 2004 X5 3.0 . . and I once had a 2007 E60 loaner for a few days.

The E60 didn't feel much bigger to me inside than my E46 325i. The X5 feels a lot roomier -probably because of more headroom. X5 has better visibility, too. The back seats of the X5 definitely feel roomier. I like the interior styling of the X5 better - which is virtually identical to my old E46. The E60 felt more plasticy. The back of the X5 isn't THAT big - so you might want to take a closer look back there to make sure your dog would be happy riding in the back. The X5 feels a bit more like a luxury cruiser compared to the E60 - which feels more like a sporty small non-luxury sedan.

The E60 drove nicer as far as cornering goes. But the X5 is still pretty nice to drive. It feels extremely solid - like you're driving a solid block of steel that just happens to corner nicely and begs to cruise at 80 mph. The X5 has fantastic brakes - the best braking feel that I've experience in a car.

We've owned the X5 for a little over 5 years now. The only problems we've had is some minor electrical glitches and it burns about a quart of oil every 3 months. Oh, and one broken window regulator about a year ago that I solved with the zip tie fix. The electrical glitches is that every few weeks it will randomly start telling us to check brake lights/side lights/turn lights . . or tell us that the brake pads need replacement - when everything is fine.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Oh, and the i6 3.0 seems to be plenty of power for a luxury cruiser. I don't ever wish for more power or think "man, I wish I bought a V8". If I was driving the E60, I would probably be tempted to go for more power. We get about 21 mpg average with the X5. I once did a 2.5 hr roadtrip and averaged 25 mpg by keeping cruise control on . . but that's the best mileage I'll ever see. All city driving is like 17-19 mpg.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
2001BMW330xi
revolt1112@msn.com

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
+1 on the suggestion to find the 5-spd E53. It could be 'fun' to maintain a car like that rather than the chore it's become with your kia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X...item5af006be51

Last edited by 2001BMW330xi; 04-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.
2001BMW330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi View Post
+1 on the suggestion to find the 5-spd E53. It could be 'fun' to maintain a car like that rather than the chore it's become with your kia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X...item5af006be51
That's even a 6spd. Didn't know they put those in them too. That would be the route I would take.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
DTMdan

My Ride: E53 X5 3.0i Sport
Send a message via AIM to DTMdan
Run from the E53 X5's... You will constantly be fixing it. I'd suggest sticking with Japanese or American for less of a headache.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMdan View Post
Run from the E53 X5's... You will constantly be fixing it. I'd suggest sticking with Japanese or American for less of a headache.
He's a badge whore, let him learn lol
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I owned an X5, it was the least reliable car I ever owned, fun and great driver, but didn't make up for it's faults.

I wished I ready my Indy shops blog before I bought one, he mentions over series, but here is his bit on the X5 .... http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/

Quote:
I'm in the midst of a job I hate to do right now. It's tough, ugly, time consuming, and one mistake will warrant starting all over again. It's not all peaches around the shop every day, so I thought I'd share what I feel are some of the most difficult BMWs to service. If you have one on my list, don't despair, but don't be surprised that technicians look like they hate you. They don't hate you, they hate working on your car. These are in no particular order, they all are a challenge and some tasks suck more or less depending which one you are assigned.

This might be the grand daddy of them all. It has all of the problems inherit to the X5 combined with the difficulty of working on the BMW V8 engine. Axle boots are a constant issue as are clunky transfer cases and transmissions. You'll usually need a step stool to work on anything in the engine bay unless you are 6'6". Unfortunately, most of the parts are also specific to the X5, so they bring with them a premium price tag. Both a difficult car to work on and expensive for the consumer.

Last edited by SD 328I; 04-19-2013 at 12:53 AM.
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
I know everyone seems to have their own unique experience with BMWs....but I will put a good word in for the X3.

I've put 22k miles on my '05 X3 in the last year and it has performed flawlessly. It now has 110k miles on the clock. I have the 3.0 with premium package and the only repair I've had to make was to replace the infamous intake boot which was a simple $25 fix. It has been one of the most reliable Bimmers I've ever owned.

It may not be as roomy as an X5, but it handles and has all the dynamics of a 3 series. Really does carve the corners amazingly well for an junior SUV.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
X3, old x5's are maintenance nightmares

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #30
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Oh, and sidenote, Griff's comment.....

"It's like going on a date with a convicted rapist. You knowwhat you are getting into before you go out, so you know that there will be some pleasure and pain invloved. But regardless you will get fvcked in the end."

Has me seriously rethinking my current lust. I'm on the verge of selling my pristine E46 M3 and been lusting for a nice 335D. However the more and more I tune in to the BMW diesel forums the more I think his above quote is right.

Not uncommon for D owners to have their car in the shop 3, 4, 5 times a year with SES lights coming on regularly. Carbon/soot build up. Failed injectors, bad software, DDE failures.

On paper I lust for the D due to its power, torque, awesome mpg, and uniqueness. But beginning to think I might never come out of that one unscathed and financially backwards.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #31
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
4Runner or MDX, then you don't have to spend time working on your car.
Good Advice here
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Oh, and sidenote, Griff's comment.....

"It's like going on a date with a convicted rapist. You knowwhat you are getting into before you go out, so you know that there will be some pleasure and pain invloved. But regardless you will get fvcked in the end."

Has me seriously rethinking my current lust. I'm on the verge of selling my pristine E46 M3 and been lusting for a nice 335D. However the more and more I tune in to the BMW diesel forums the more I think his above quote is right.

Not uncommon for D owners to have their car in the shop 3, 4, 5 times a year with SES lights coming on regularly. Carbon/soot build up. Failed injectors, bad software, DDE failures.

On paper I lust for the D due to its power, torque, awesome mpg, and uniqueness. But beginning to think I might never come out of that one unscathed and financially backwards.
The 335d is a more reliable car than an E46 M3.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I'm done buying BMW's. There's absolutely no reason to get one anymore other than to have the badge. There are numerous other cars out there that are more powerful, handle better, have better tech, better interiors, better exteriors, and are far more reliable.

As far as a high mileage X5...good luck. The same reservations you'd have about buying a high mileage E46 would apply to the X5...and then multiply by two since very few of them were ever owned by people who cared about their cars.

I'd vote 4Runner, MDX, or Pilot. Buying an SUV for it's driving dynamics and handling is dumb in itself.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #34
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I'm done buying BMW's. There's absolutely no reason to get one anymore other than to have the badge. There are numerous other cars out there that are more powerful, handle better, have better tech, better interiors, better exteriors, and are far more reliable.

As far as a high mileage X5...good luck. The same reservations you'd have about buying a high mileage E46 would apply to the X5...and then multiply by two since very few of them were ever owned by people who cared about their cars.

I'd vote 4Runner, MDX, or Pilot. Buying an SUV for it's driving dynamics and handling is dumb in itself.
+1

It's like people on here get really butthurt when truth is spoken. Don't get me wrong, BMWs are fantastic cars, too bad the dealer planned to milk the used car market too.
The first thing on here seems to be people putting down other cars, especially more reliable ones. I've never been more happy with reliability, power AND handling, you won't understand if your brain is smaller than your testicles.

Last edited by //TRD power; 04-19-2013 at 11:07 AM.
//TRD power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #35
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
I was thinking of asking the same question on here, should I get an X5?
I guess I will stay away from them.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #36
DTMdan

My Ride: E53 X5 3.0i Sport
Send a message via AIM to DTMdan
I've had mine since June 2012 and have easily put $2-3,000 into it with just repairs/labor. There's still much more left to address too (But that's just me being picky).

Like SD 328I said, this too is the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Worst BMW I've owned by far. I love everything about it, but it's shocking how bad they really are. It's not just mine, similar problems pop up constantly on xoutpost. My fiancÚ also has one and when one breaks the other shortly has the same problem haha. I also thought that the 3.0 would be less likely to have problems, (and yes it does have the least of the bunch) but I almost wish I would've just got a V8 to have more fun in between repairs. If you want one, get a 4.6is or 4.8is, fix the transmission when it goes and enjoy.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #37
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by //TRD power View Post
+1

It's like people on here get really butthurt when truth is spoken. Don't get me wrong, BMWs are fantastic cars, too bad the dealer planned to milk the used car market too.
The first thing on here seems to be people putting down other cars, especially more reliable ones. I've never been more happy with reliability, power AND handling, you won't understand if your brain is smaller than your testicles.
The "truth" does not lie in the Toyota Solara, and the E46 is not one of the BMWs that deserves to get panned. That's why I defend it.

There are plenty of BMW haters in GOT.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #38
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
So I just recently bought a 2006 E53 X5 (with ever single option but Navi) and have a 330ci as well. I love both of them honestly. I did end up going with the X5 3.0l being it is now my daily, and was concerned for gas mileage and reliability. The V8s are more problematic than the 3.0s from what Ive researched. And I liked the idea of the familiarity between the e46 and the e53 engine wise.

All in all Ive owned the car for a month now and absolutely loving the comfort, storage capacity and too be honest its just a fun SAV. But if you have any questions please feel free too PM me.

And too answer it being dated looking, I thought the same, but add a fresh pair of OEM 20" wheels and a rear bumper spoiler and I think the car looks amazing