E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
FCUK3R

My Ride: 2000 330ci
330ci steptronic only managing 0-100kmh in 9 seconds ... What is wrong??

2000 BMW 330ci

Did a 0-100 Km/h test for the first time a few nights ago. Had a passenger using iPhone as stopwatch and half a tank of gas of 98 octane; traction was turned off and steptronic tranny was in manual mode; I took off from idle (didn't hold the gas and the brake before launch like I've heard some do just lifted off brake and gassed it).

I only did one run but only managed 9.0 sec compared to a factory claimed 7.0. Ive always felt as if this car was not as powerful as it should be, especially in the low range..it just does not feel like 170 kw..although is decent in top end..

The cars motor is in really good condition according to my mechanic even for its high mileage which is 215 xxx km. (over 120k miles) Is this a contributing factor?

I know my K&N filter is filthy and i know that definitely contributed to it ( will buy a cleaner and recharge kit for it tomoz) but would that contribute to all of the 1.5-2 seconds or so in lost time?? (I expect at least a 7.5).

What else could cause this? I will check the intake pipe for cuts etc. that could lead to air leaks...but other than that i have no clue. I read somewhere that people clean their MAF sensor as this may contribute to this. How do you clean the sensor?

thanks
FCUK3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
1st. Steptronic. It's slower than manual
2nd. A "filthy" air will definitely make your car slower. Trying breathing through a straw while running 1/4 mile around the track.
If you have a convertible, also slower
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
FCUK3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
1st. Steptronic. It's slower than manual
2nd. A "filthy" air will definitely make your car slower. Trying breathing through a straw while running 1/4 mile around the track.
If you have a convertible, also slower
haha yeh point taken. nah its a coupe and i think manual factory time is 6.5 sec.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
AquaRelliux

My Ride: 330ci 03 M-sport
There is a million problems that can cause this, does the car feel sluggish and slow always on low rpm or is it only when cold? I will list some stuff that u should have changed atleast one time even two at that milage:

*Vanos oring rebuild(u should relley do this to restore low rpm power)
*Change sparkplugs
*Replace that crappy K&N filter and put in the original with new filter, yes the sound is not the same but for the peace of your mind u know your engine will run alot cleaner.
*Change oil with a good LL01 BMW oil and repalce filter
*Repalce vcg and clean your engine
*Replace belts and pulleys with new ones
*Use some engine cleaner and rev the engine abit more, it is designed to red line so red line it!
AquaRelliux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Also, you are using a human that's inputting a command into a device that at that time could have also lagged as well. Unless your friend jumped the gun in anticipation that you were going to take off or was some sort of a psychic, more than likely, his initiation of the timer also added time to your 0-100. The factory stats I'm sure didn't include a passenger in the car either. Tell his ass to get out of the car next time. Better yet, he has an iphone you say? okay. Buy a bluetooth Obd2 adapter. get an app called Torque pro. once you get it all setup, as soon as you step on the throttle from a dead start, the car will automatically calculate it for you, eliminating human error. on top of that, it'll measure and record other info, such as max HP reached during that test (or during normal drive, it'll keep track of the hp that you are currently using, as well as the max you've reached during that drive until you shut your car off) and just all these different parameters. if you check my profile, in my photo album, I actually installed a double din deck capable of mirroring anything that's on the screen of my phone exactly as it onto my double din, even allowing me to use the double din touch screen to control the phone itself as if it was my phone. you can have gauges monitoring all different kinds of stats. best thing? its free.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-12-2013 at 05:10 AM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
FCUK3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Also, you are using a human that's inputting a command into a device that at that time could have also lagged as well. Unless your friend jumped the gun in anticipation that you were going to take off or was some sort of a psychic, more than likely, his initiation of the timer also added time to your 0-100. The factory stats I'm sure didn't include a passenger in the car either. Tell his ass to get out of the car next time. Better yet, he has an iphone you say? okay. Buy a bluetooth Obd2 adapter. get an app called Torque pro. once you get it all setup, as soon as you step on the throttle from a dead start, the car will automatically calculate it for you, eliminating human error. on top of that, it'll measure and record other info, such as max HP reached during that test (or during normal drive, it'll keep track of the hp that you are currently using, as well as the max you've reached during that drive until you shut your car off) and just all these different parameters. if you check my profile, in my photo album, I actually installed a double din deck capable of mirroring anything that's on the screen of my phone exactly as it onto my double din, even allowing me to use the double din touch screen to control the phone itself as if it was my phone. you can have gauges monitoring all different kinds of stats. best thing? its free.
Wow that's awesome will have a look for an ObD2 adapter on ebay. An the gauges you are talking about is that the same app that records times and hp?? Will definitely get it cannot believe the technology available on iPhones!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
FCUK3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRelliux View Post
There is a million problems that can cause this, does the car feel sluggish and slow always on low rpm or is it only when cold? I will list some stuff that u should have changed atleast one time even two at that milage:

*Vanos oring rebuild(u should relley do this to restore low rpm power)
*Change sparkplugs
*Replace that crappy K&N filter and put in the original with new filter, yes the sound is not the same but for the peace of your mind u know your engine will run alot cleaner.
*Change oil with a good LL01 BMW oil and repalce filter
*Repalce vcg and clean your engine
*Replace belts and pulleys with new ones
*Use some engine cleaner and rev the engine abit more, it is designed to red line so red line it!
Thanks for that man will have a look at doing the vanos rebuild but sounds expensive but if it restores bottom end then that's probably what it needs. No I never drive it hard intill it's warmed up so it when it's warm that this happens. Also on a side note my gear shifts are a bit jerky when cold...normal?

Ill probably get rid if that k&n **** too coz it jst takes in hot air lol but yea I will try look ino all that **** just don't have a lot of money ATM. Oh and what's vcg?

Last edited by FCUK3R; 04-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCUK3R View Post
Thanks for that man will have a look at doing the vanos rebuild but sounds expensive but if it restores bottom end then that's probably what it needs. No I never drive it hard intill it's warmed up so it when it's warm that this happens. Also on a side note my gear shifts are a bit jerky when cold...normal?

Ill probably get rid if that k&n **** too coz it jst takes in hot air lol but yea I will try look ino all that **** just don't have a lot of money ATM. Oh and what's vcg?
VCG is valve cover gasket. Very easy job that costs about 30 bucks. Look it up on the forums, there's a bunch of good DIY's

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
NumbaOneNewb

Yeah they have the app for both android and iPhone. I'd recommend looking up their list of compatible Bluetooth adapters. I bought a generic cheap Chinese one for $15.

Yes it's the same one that can monitor quarter mile, 0-60, 0-100. It also has a check engine scan, you can use it as a heads up display. I used to do that but when I replaced windshield, it then caused the double ghost images. I've found that adding a reflective screen protector to your phone will help if not eliminate that

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
FCUK3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by diM3tri View Post
VCG is valve cover gasket. Very easy job that costs about 30 bucks. Look it up on the forums, there's a bunch of good DIY's
Ok yep that's been done already. Cleaned and oiled the k&n and noticed big improvement. A lot more punchy and can cruise up some hills in 5th where I coodnt before. Fuel consumption also dropped a bit
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
FCUK3R

Quote:
Yeah they have the app for both android and iPhone. I'd recommend looking up their list of compatible Bluetooth adapters. I bought a generic cheap Chinese one for $15.

Yes it's the same one that can monitor quarter mile, 0-60, 0-100. It also has a check engine scan, you can use it as a heads up display. I used to do that but when I replaced windshield, it then caused the double ghost images. I've found that adding a reflective screen protector to your phone will help if not eliminate that

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Ok sounds good can't wait
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
I love my torque pro... it also does more advanced stuff such as fuel trims, long term fuel trims , O2 voltage, how much fuel is left in the tank ,average mpgs,ect,ect.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Did you do the test in steptronic mode, beause in D they start in 2nd.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

And on top of sport mode did you floor it until yiu felt the clicking in the pedal?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I believe it's 7 for autos and 6.5 for manuals, just for reference.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
FCUK3R

Quote:
And on top of sport mode did you floor it until yiu felt the clicking in the pedal?
I floored it until I felt some resistance (before the click for the kick down). I try avoid that button coz it irritates me when I hit it in manual mode and it downshifts for me. But I will try just leave it in sport mode and completely hit the gas, kickdown button and everything tomoro night and see what happens. I could not find torque pro for iPhone but downloaded something similar called engine link...still waiting for adapter to come. It disent have the accel timer tho so I downloaded something for free called bmw m power meter which does it based on GPS so will try it tomoz. Otherwise will download the REV app which has everything but costs $42...

Last edited by FCUK3R; 04-15-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
FCUK3R

So managed a 7.2 in sport mode not manual and with a bit of a launch off the brake. Yayy. feels like its got abit more in it especially if i replace the vanos o rings like someone suggested earlier Amazing how these cars still run like new even with high mileage provided they looked after
Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

So did you use an app, phone, and obd2 adapter to measure this?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
FCUK3R

Quote:
So did you use an app, phone, and obd2 adapter to measure this?
Still waiting for my adapter to come but for the meantime I used an app based on GPS called BMW m power meter which seems accurate as long as u r on flat ground and the phone is secure but when the adapter comes I will try it again on the REV app. The car definitely felt a lot quicker after cleaning the air filter and launching it made a difference too. Also before when I used it in manual mode I may have been shifting a tad early like around 6250 instead of 6500

Tags
330ci, acceleration, slow, sluggish, steptronic