E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #41
locomexicano

My Ride: E46 330ci
Send a message via MSN to locomexicano
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnatalie View Post
U have to find the leak u r letting air into the system which causes overheating (boiling water idea) check the air relief valve right above reservoir. Again find the leak u can damage the heads if it gets to hot
Thanks John, looks like I'll be busy this weekend Boys.
Do you guys know of any auto parts shops that will have any of these hoses in hand???
locomexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #42
dharamveer

My Ride: e46 2002 2.5l
I tried my thermostat change today, my bolts were very corroded and one the bolts head broke off when I was trying to remove it so its stuck in.

see pic attached of which one it is.

some questions :

1. How can I remove it?
2. What if I just leave it in there and replace my thermostat and tighthen the other 2 bolts, if I put rtv sealant as well. Will I be ok or will it leak?
3. how much do garages charge to drill out bolts etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	398820  

Last edited by dharamveer; 04-02-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: add pic
dharamveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #43
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
+1
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
TAKAFOOMI

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Leaking lower radiator plug after thermostat replacement

Hello Guys. I'm hoping someone can provide some quick advice . I just replaced my thermostat in my 2004 E46 convertible, automatic. Everything reassembled, but after refilling the coolant and checking for leaks I found one, on the blue radiator plug under the expansion tank. I tightened the blue plug, just so it's snug.. However, the leak is coming from the black nut which the blue plug sits within. The nut looks like something meant to be tightened, but its not happy when I put a crescent wrench on it. It's a drip every 5 seconds or so at idle. Can anyone recommend a way to stop the leak? Some sort of goo I can put around the nut? Help! I attached a photo for clarification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	485881  
TAKAFOOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #45
Iggy27

My Ride: 2003 330xi
How many lbs do you tighten a thermostat too?
Iggy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #46
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKAFOOMI View Post
Hello Guys. I'm hoping someone can provide some quick advice . I just replaced my thermostat in my 2004 E46 convertible, automatic. Everything reassembled, but after refilling the coolant and checking for leaks I found one, on the blue radiator plug under the expansion tank. I tightened the blue plug, just so it's snug.. However, the leak is coming from the black nut which the blue plug sits within. The nut looks like something meant to be tightened, but its not happy when I put a crescent wrench on it. It's a drip every 5 seconds or so at idle. Can anyone recommend a way to stop the leak? Some sort of goo I can put around the nut? Help! I attached a photo for clarification.
hmm mine looks a bit different i think, I don't believe you are supposed to tighten anything down there. Are you sure the leak is not from the expansion tank - connector below that comes from?

Edit: I believe they're different because yours is automatic and mine is manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy27 View Post
How many lbs do you tighten a thermostat too?
10Nm (~8 lb ft)

Last edited by paraklas; 03-06-2013 at 06:47 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #47
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
I just replaced my thermostat today. It was stuck open. Also, the gasket had deteriorated along the bottom. Here's the bleeding procedure I used and everything looks good. Make sure to check your coolant level when your engine has cooled after your next drive.

Coolant Bleeding procedure.
Open sealing cap. Set heater control to maximum temperature. Set blower to low level. This opens the heating valves and sets the auxiliary water pump in operation. Run engine and briefly press accelerator pedal three to four times (approx. 4500 to 5000 rpm) to flush engine cooling circuit. In doing so, do not run engine for longer than approx. 30 seconds; otherwise coolant will heat up and expand. If the coolant level drops in the expansion tank during this operation, top up expansion tank with coolant up to edge. Screw on sealing cap and warm up engine until thermostat opens.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=35
This is WRONG! Running the engine is not required or recommended to bleed the system properly! Do the heater thing and remove the bleeder screw. Pour the coolant into the tank until the fluid rises to the screw hole. Stop and wait as the air majically comes out all by itself! Pour again until the fluid at the screw hole stops dropping. If the car is on the wheels you might have to add more, if it's on a couple of 2X like I do to get underneath, it may actually over fill some. Start and drive through full temp, stop and cool, then check the level in the tank. The torque is 10 lbft. The only reason to use goop is if the block mating surface is F'd up. Otherwise no-no. If bolts are broken, it's because some a-hole tightened them too tight.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #48
Faucette1954

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci
First time BMW (05/325ci) automatic) owner the car is over heating I first thought it was because the electric fan was not working. I just notice that the car but when I checked it the lower hose to the radiator was not hot but the top one was boiling. Does that mean that the thermostat is not working and should be replaced? Coolant level is good.
thanks for any info that you can provide.
Faucette1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #49
saturn

My Ride: 525i
Thanks to OP for a great DIY, although I have a question, is there a thermostat housing for M54B25 engines that will run the engine cooler i.e. open the thermostat earlier than 93F ????
saturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #50
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
Thanks to OP for a great DIY, although I have a question, is there a thermostat housing for M54B25 engines that will run the engine cooler i.e. open the thermostat earlier than 93F ????
There was a discussion a lot of times regarding this time, and the general conclusion is that the current factory thermostat are optimized from the factory to provide the best combination among cooling and fuel efficiency. The ECU can and will open the thermostat earlier than its mechanical threshold if certain conditions are met (temperature, load, rpm) so there's no point in my opinion to mess up with other types of thermostats.

Are you facing a problem related with temperatures?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #51
saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
There was a discussion a lot of times regarding this time, and the general conclusion is that the current factory thermostat are optimized from the factory to provide the best combination among cooling and fuel efficiency. The ECU can and will open the thermostat earlier than its mechanical threshold if certain conditions are met (temperature, load, rpm) so there's no point in my opinion to mess up with other types of thermostats.

Are you facing a problem related with temperatures?
Thanks paraklas, I am not having any problems, just had a leak, so I thought I would try replacing the thermostat altogether with a new one and see if there is any better available. I guess old school plastic housing is the way to go from what you are saying.

Another question though, I am not sure when the thermostat housing was changed, if it is leaking, is it advisable to change the entire thermostat housing or just the gasket?

Last edited by saturn; 07-21-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #52
saturn

@OP, one of the steps you mentioned was "To prevent future coolant leaks, I applied some high temp RTV silicone sealant as per application instructions."

Is this step necessary? Or you just added extra silicone sealant for extra protection?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #53
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS8736 View Post
I agree with the RTV idea. I installed a new thermostat when I did a cooling system rebuild, torqued the thermostat to 10NM, etc., and it weeped slightly. I re-drained the radiator at the right side lower plug, removed the shroud and fan, disconnected the upper and lower hoses from the thermostat, RTV'd the mating surface exactly like in the photo here, and no more leaks....
Yeah, how do you know it's 10nm?? My bently doesn't have the torque values listed!!! It only says engine block drain plug and radiator drain plug...

On the m3 model which is a completely different setup, it states 10nm. So can someone clarify what the torque value is for the 4 thermostat bolts? I am halfway through this DIY and am waiting on torque values before buttoning up. Please let me know