E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Well, in the continuing tale of the GOP being out of touch with America, 90% of the Senate GOP voted against 90% of Americans in defeating a moderate bi-partisan bill on expanding background checks on gun purchases.

So just who is this 10% the GOP is apparently representing?
Me. I jump through enough hoops to buy a gun, I don't need anymore.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Me
And if your sig is a reference to the scouse, no wonder.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yes you do.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
And if your sig is a reference to the scouse, no wonder.
How in the world is a reference to Liverpool Football Club remotely relevant?

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I'm sure you do, but far too many who should, don't.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
One can argue society in some respects spent centuries devolving and since the renaissance started the long climb to evolve back to places it had been before.

There is a reason they call it the renaissance after all.
Or one could argue that we aren't converging on anything, and are simply in a similar place on a sinusoidal wave of societal acceptances.

I gravitate towards that theory. Mankind is very much the same as we have always been. Historically I imagine the same arguments waging battle, with slightly different period nuances.

Last edited by 325seeeye; 04-17-2013 at 11:45 PM.
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #27
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
How in the world is a reference to Liverpool Football Club remotely relevant?
The opinions of a bin diving, scouse, wanker are of no value because they are the opinions of a bin diving, scouse, wanker.

Keep the blue flag flyin high!!

Last edited by rdsesq; 04-18-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #28
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
Or one could argue that we aren't converging on anything, and are simply in a similar place on a sinusoidal wave of societal acceptances.

I gravitate towards that theory. Mankind is very much the same as we have always been. Historically I imagine the same arguments waging battle, with slightly different period nuances.
I can see that perspective. I tend to think of it more cyclical. Society grasps towards enlightenment, is destroyed, spirals down away from it, gets fed up with being in the metaphorical sewers, and the process starts again. So while it is a wave type function, one can only hope that the bottom of the wave shifts its delta higher and hence the midline and the thence the wave top in each iteration. (But, that may be a vain hope, I grant you.)

Last edited by rdsesq; 04-18-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
The opinions of a bin diving, scouse, wanker are of no value because they are the opinions of a bin diving, scouse, wanker.

Keep the blue flag flyin high!!
alright, I can take that with a laugh then now I know where you're coming from

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #30
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
alright, I can take that with a laugh then now I know where you're coming from
Nothing wrong with a bit of mischief.

I hope Wigan pulls out the miracle and beats city for the FA Cup, especially since they are likely to get relegated.

And tell your club to please buy Torres back...please...pretty please with a cherry on top.
At least the fat spanish waiter will be gone at the end of the season. Can't be soon enough for me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled political bickering.

Last edited by rdsesq; 04-18-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #31
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
This blog post sums up my feelings:

http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/201...en-at-gop.html

Quote:
I saw today where the stuffy old men at GOP headquarters

voted to keep the stance against gay marriage on the party platform.

More stupidity in high places.

As usual, they are doing every single thing possible to snatch defeat out of the firm jaws of victory. Leadership of the GOP is now left to a bunch of fat, rich white men that do not have a clue as to what is going on in the world. The GOP has gone progressively down the tubes since they decided to let the Christian Coalition write their platform for them.

Truth is that nobody likes being told what to do by the moral police and that's plain and simple. What two (or three or ten) consenting adults do behind closed doors is nobody's business. I couldn't care less what a couple of gays do behind closed doors. It is simply none of my business.

Nobody likes listening to some stuffy preacher type telling people they are headed to hell if they don't conform to their standards. As for me I have friends in both places.

The GOP generally gets my vote because of two reasons and only two reasons. I am financially conservative and I support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

While I don't like the way the GOP spends a lot more money than they need on defense contractors I would far rather have it go there than to the Free $hit Army because that is what is dragging us down.

Democracies only last about 250 years and what kills them is people discover that they can vote themselves money out of the treasury. We're seeing that now and we're broke.

Right now the GOP is doing a first-class job of doing what they do best and alienating valuable voters by trying to legislate morality.

If you look at gays in general they are generally more educated and financially successful than their heterosexual counterparts. Part of this is they do not have the expenses incurred with raising kids.

Because of this you generally find fewer gays on welfare and other government aid. I'm reasonably sure they don't like paying for the Free $hit Army, either. In short, the gay community by nature is fairly conservative.

Yet they vote for liberal candidates because liberals have greeted them with open arms. The liberals have gotten them what they want.

Another group the GOP seems to have alienated is Hispanics and they are a pretty sizable voting bloc.

Another thing thay have not done is throw Rick Santorum out on his sorry moonbat ass. I have never in my entire life seen a person like him before. He went from being the senator I voted for and supported to a person that very well could have had the presidency by sticking his head up his ass and joining the Christian coalition and advocating letting the Moral Police of the GOP run the show.

In a way it was sad to watch a person that had some pretty good financial ideas that would have helped get us out of this quagmire we're in run his mouth about something as stupid and piddly as gay rights and throw it down the crapper.

He went from heavyweight contender of the world straight down the tubes to Chief Moonbat of the GOP in just a couple of weeks. The man should be carefully used as a study on what is known to sailors as 'The Reverse Midas Touch' meaning everything he touched turned into warm, steaming $hit.

The leadership of the GOP doesn't seem to get it. Not a whole lot of people care about having morality legislated. They don't care about who is doing what to who behind closed doors.

Had the GOP come out and supported the gay community by simply offering them civil unions they would have had a lot of support from not only gays but a lot of straights, too.

Instead they passed the Defense of Marriage Act which is a joke anyway. Personally I think the government should get out of the marriage business entirely and permit civil unions between any two people that want one and leave it at that.

If you want to get married, go see the preacher.

Historically the government hasn't been in the marriage business all that long. When you think of it, all being married is good for is getting a few tax breaks. Look at Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. They have been a unit for decades and neither of them has considered marriage. Truth is it is nobody's business.

As far as civil unions go, all of us, no matter of what our sexuaity is have a right to pass on our estates, whatever on to some significant other without government interference.

The significant other doesn't necessarily have to be a sex partner, either. I had a maternal aunt that was an old maid schoolteacher that likely never married because she was too much of a pain in the ass. She had a twin brother and they lived in a duplex together but seperately.(Same duplex, different units) I suppose the two of them should have had a civil union because when the first one of them passed on and left his stuff to her the state came in and robbed her for a part of it. That's bull$hit.

Anyway, back to the GOP and the stuffy old rich white men that have run it for decades.

There are a number of black conservatives out there that have done well and I never see the leadership reaching out to them.

Yet historically it was the Democrats that have not been very good to the black community. The first gun control laws in the country were passed to keep recently freed black slaves from getting guns to defend themselves. A lot of the early civil rights legislation was contested bitterly by the blue dog democrats.

Martin Luther King was a Republican and believed in personal responsibility. Yet the majority of blacks vote democrat because the democrats started pandering to them.

When LBJ signed one of his Great Society programs he was overheard saying, and I quote, "We'll have those ni&&ers voting Democratic for another 20 years."

I suppose I could argue that the Democrats have worked hard to put a large part of the black community back into servitude and they seem to have been successful because there are a large number of blacks shackled in the golden handcuffs of welfare.

A lot of them would be better off back in the plantations because at least they would be getting some fresh air and exercise and being useful instead of sitting around all day rusting away like the old tractors that replaced them on the plantations.(There are an awful lot of whites that fit into this category, too.)

Dr. King would be spinning if he knew that because he had always supported personal responsibility and self- determination.

Yet GOP leadership had done a splendid job of alienating a lot of conservative blacks. It's likely that the handful of black conservatives in the GOP are there not because of, but in spite of the present day leadership.

If the GOP would junk the social issues, tell the Christian Coalition to go away, return to basic fiscal responsibility and stop pandering to people like defense contractors and oil companies they would likely be able to get us back on a solid financial footing instead of driving us deeper and deeper into debt as they are doing in what seems to be a joint effort with the demcrats.

Of course, the Tea Party came out trying to follow the basic values of fiscal conservatism and would have likely done quite well. It wouldn't have surprised me if they'd have stripped the ranks of the GOP clean, but they made the same mistake the GOP did.

They let themselves be sidetracked by social and religious issues, which are certain to alienate an awful lot of people. They went from an overnight up and coming success to another dismal flop in about the same amount of time.

Until the GOP leadership smartens up they are simply giving the future to the liberal movement out there and it won't be long until we implode.

Incidentally, not that it means anything, but I am NOT a Republican.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
Rhumb

Unfortunately, the GOP has managed to put themselves between a rock and a hard place. They can't readily jettison their social issues platform to appeal to moderates, younger and female voters or else their Evangelical/social conservative base will either jump ship altogether or at least sit on the sidelines. Yet if they don't, well, the libertarians, moderates, young, urban and women voters will be repelled by the stuffy, retrograde morality the GOP is trying to impose upon America by force of law and punishment, basically a Christian Sharia of sorts.

Another rock and hard place is economic policy. The GOP is beholden both to the tenets of Supply-Side, "Trickle-Down" economics generally and the need to cater to their corporate and 1% interests. Yet ever more Americans are realizing that while such economic policies have been a veritable torrent of wealth into the portfolios of the well-heeled for nigh on three decades now, to the vast majority of Americans, it has been precisely been as advertised, a mere trickle of economic benefit to them and their own families. As if this weren't cruel enough, then the GOP, as reflected in Romney's 47% statement, has the tone-deaf gall to deride, insult and chastise most Americans as irredeemably lazy, rapacious spendthrifts lacking work ethic, morals and financial rectitude. Then, post 2012, they're bewildered as to why they lost an election that ought to have been a cakewalk for them.

It seems the chasm yawning between the interests of their current but rapidly shrinking base and the policies that would hold genuine appeal to the voters of the 21st century is vast and I don't see how they can possibly span it in a way that holds enough voters to keep them as anything approaching a majority party. Even their current internal fault lines --Social conservatives - libertarians - economic conservatives - defense hawks -isolationists -- are growing ever wider and harder to reconcile in any coherent way.

I think the GOP will overall be consigned to a steady diminishment of influence despite furious efforts to tread water against the demographic and ideological tides rising around them. Gerrymandering, voter suppression and nihilist political tactics will only stem the inevitable day or reckoning for so long.

The Dems had a not dissimilar period during the '70's and '80's that may prove insightful for the GOP. The good news for the GOP is that the Dems could and did eventually retool themselves by the '90's. The bad news is that it did take over two decades to do and the GOP is just barely entering their own soul searching period, so perhaps it won't be until the 2040's that the GOP truly gets their stuff together.

Last edited by Rhumb; 04-18-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #33
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

The GOP hitched its wagon to the "religious right" thanks to the Moral Majority and, for some bizarre reason, came to believe that it was that voting block that gave them the 1980 election and their demi-god Ronald Reagan. Look at the stats, its a crock. Reagan would have won that election anyway. But, since that day, the GOP has been beholden to "religious right" and "family values". Even in the face of a clear change in the "moral landscape". Winning the 2000 election with W lulled them into the belief that their "family values" platform helps them, not hurts them. The fact that Gore was a lousy candidate and still managed to take the popular vote didn't raise any alarm bells about the changing social fabric.

Now those chickens are coming home to roost. Just as it did with Dems. They should take a note from the Dems playbook and let the "Religious Right" go create their own party. Just as the Dems did with the hardcore tree huggers, and that small faction which became the Green Party.

I still say the USSC may decide the fate of the GOP's marriage to the "Religious Right" with the DOMA and Prop 8 case currently before them. If the USSC rules DOMA and other such statutes unconstitutional, the RR shrinks away. Gay marriage is really the RR's last battleground. They lose that battle, their political war (and power) is over. What else are they going to fight for. They will continue some skirmishes here and there but they aren't going to get abortion outlawed and they know it. What is left? Go back to the prayer in public school chestnut? Or the McGuffie Reader and the Lord's Prayer as mandatory school reading and reciting. Not a chance.

A political organization with a lost agenda loses its power very quickly. The if the RR loses its political muscle, the GOP doesn't even need to jettison them, they will just fade away.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #34
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
The problem for the GOP is, even if they go libertarian they will lose out. The Democrats would basically be saying "we all stand for the same things, but we want to give you stuff too."

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #35
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
The GOP isn't interested in the White House any more. They want to control the States, Cities, Congress, and the Supreme Court. If they do that then all their ends will be achieved.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Anyone who supports the GOP is an idiot.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #37
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Anyone who supports the GOP is an idiot.
A+ post, would read again

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #38
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Except he complimented the POTUS during Hurricane Sandy and half of the party turned on him for not towing the party line. 100% pathetic.
huh? I don't remember any of the right turning on him for that. What are you basing this on?
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #39
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
huh? I don't remember any of the right turning on him for that. What are you basing this on?
So I presume you just got back from a year long trek in the deepest Amazon, free from human contact.

There was a HUGE blowback against Christy for his apostasy of thanking Obama for his assistance in a time of need, with more than a few blaming him for being the final knife in the Romney campaign. Christy to his credit pushed right back. While I certainly don't agree with a lot of his policies, I do have immense respect for the man, which is more than I can say for most in the current GOP.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #40
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
You should come visit some of the Georgia forums I'm on. Heck, CPAC booted him this year because of "his decisions" according to their chairman. Of course, the only significant "decision" he made since he was a key speaker at CPAC only 9 or so months earlier (and the keynote speaker at the RNC convention) was to say some kinds words after Sandy about Obama's response. The RNC keynote speaker and CPAC speaker is suddenly not welcome at CPAC after saying something positive about Obama and you don't think anyone on the right is turning on him for that?
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote