E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 3.74 average.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #1141
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
just surprising since you even put things like mounting bolts and fan blades in the list but didn't put a sensor that is easily breakable
you can remove the sensor and throw it in the garbage. nothing would happen.

you break or strip the bolts holding the water pump pulley upon removal and your day will get a lot longer.

Also it's not easily breakable. it twists off and twists back on with ease. i've done the job at least two dozen times. i know what the list needs and what it doesn't. replace it if it makes you feel better. i did.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #1142
Argermacher

My Ride: 2003 330i
Great post!

One question: if I buy all those parts myself, my mechanic's gonna get butthurt & not pull any punches on labor since he makes a good portion of his money on parts. He's a great guy & I trust him, but there will be no free hours given if I show up with a trunk full of parts. How many honest labor hours can I expect to pay for on an auto-tranny coolant system replacement for all the parts listed above?
Argermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #1143
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argermacher View Post
Great post!

One question: if I buy all those parts myself, my mechanic's gonna get butthurt & not pull any punches on labor since he makes a good portion of his money on parts. He's a great guy & I trust him, but there will be no free hours given if I show up with a trunk full of parts. How many honest labor hours can I expect to pay for on an auto-tranny coolant system replacement for all the parts listed above?
Probably 5 or 6. I encourage you to do this yourself though. You'll pay at least $400-500 on the low end for labor. You may as well give that money to me

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #1144
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
I agree with Mango!

Your probably looking at 4-5 hours if you are taking your time. Sometimes the hoses are tough to take off but once everything is removed and the system is flushed the new parts for like a glove. Bleeding the system is straight forward too.

Do the job yourself and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. This is also a good time to upgrade your water pump and power steering pump pulleys to aluminum ones to prevent the stock plastic once from breaking apart in the future.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #1145
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Another Cooling question...

Ok I did the search but at 900 plus pages with reference to cooling temp, I just saves time to ask, besides it gives you a chance to increase your post counts!!

First Question: What is the optimal coolant temp range for the E54 eng.

I drove my car around for awhile using the OBD menu to display the coolant temp the highest it got up to was 95 deg C. Just want to check

Second Question: Has anyone installed a CoolantSnitch, if so what are your feelings about this product?

TIA

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #1146
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaktusJaque View Post
Ok I did the search but at 900 plus pages with reference to cooling temp, I just saves time to ask, besides it gives you a chance to increase your post counts!!

First Question: What is the optimal coolant temp range for the E54 eng.

I drove my car around for awhile using the OBD menu to display the coolant temp the highest it got up to was 95 deg C. Just want to check

Second Question: Has anyone installed a CoolantSnitch, if so what are your feelings about this product?

TIA
I don't know what an E54 engine is. maybe you meant M54? I believe 90-99c is the most commonly reported range. mine sits between 93-95c.

I don't think the coolant snitch is a bad idea. It can warn you before the upper limit of the buffer is reached (well before the needle creeps past middle)

If you maintain your cooling system, it's mostly a waste of money but some people might find it useful. I may get one at some point.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #1147
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

Sorry I was reading this post trying to find my answer, didnt want to post my question on here, but the main board. I dont have enough permissions to delete it. So if a moderator can move it that would be great, thx.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #1148
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I don't know what an E54 engine is. maybe you meant M54? I believe 90-99c is the most commonly reported range. mine sits between 93-95c.
Sry typo. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #1149
prisonerofdoom83

My Ride: E46 E30 Tacoma
whats the dissadvantage of having regular green fluid in your radiator
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #1150
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
whats the dissadvantage of having regular green fluid in your radiator
It's more expensive than the correct stuff and is not formulated specifically for the engine. It also looks horrible. There's literally no upside.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #1151
prisonerofdoom83

My Ride: E46 E30 Tacoma
so would a drain and refill/bleed be enough or anything else i should do . cooling system was refreshed 20k miles ago by previous owner and i just noticed green fluid last night
Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #1152
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
so would a drain and refill/bleed be enough or anything else i should do . cooling system was refreshed 20k miles ago by previous owner and i just noticed green fluid last night
Refreshed how? The fact that you noticed "green fluid" means it's leaking. If it's leaking, there's a reason. Find out what wasn't replaced during the "refresh." If you are unable to obtain such information, then assume nothing has been done and replace it all. GL

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #1153
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Leaking or not...Green fluid indicates your cooling system has an infection, proceed to nearest euro parts house, and pick up antibiotics in the form of BMW/Mini coolant.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #1154
2shaee

My Ride: E46 318i
Mango i have one question about coolant. As i saw on your first page you said that the car needs to be turned off while pouring coolant. Why all of the people say that you need to leave the engine running and open the radiator cap and loosen the black bleed / vent screw until water starts coming out of the hole. BMW's engine can reach 105 degrees. So what is the right procedure for bleeding? Hot engine and then loosening vent screw or when the engine is cold? I would really like to know because i have thermostate to replace and there are so many DIY's on web that i don't know which procedure is right. Thank you. I have M43B19 engine.
2shaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #1155
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Use your OBC hidden functions to check your operating temperature. Normal is 93-95 C, so 105 would be very unusual.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #1156
2shaee

I don't think that this is the right procedure. READ: Used in engines M43 (B16, B19, B19TU).
Map controlled thermostat, with seal, opening temp. 105 degrees C. At 100 degrees water boils so it has different specifications than under 100 degrees. That's why i am asking. Because it can cause serious damage to our engines.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #1157
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
You can run the engine when it is cold if you want to bleed running. Never open the cap after the engine is hot.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1158
2shaee

Yes but when the engine is cold water have different volume. i don't know maybe i am wrong but if thermostate opens up to 105 degrees..
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #1159
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

bleed cold, run car, bleed cold again next day, run car, top off next day, top off next day, done.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #1160
2shaee

Thank u mango. Only few more questions. Does car need to be on jack stands(front of the car) during this procedure? And what temperature car need to reach while running? After finishing bleeding i mean.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump