E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #41
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
He made a thread asking for advice. If our advice is in opposition to his desires, are we not supposed to talk? Give me a break.
Well... That's because after reading some of OP's posts, we all know the intention of this thread when he initially started it. And please don't tell me you don't sense that. He has already his mind set to m3 and probably only searching for only m3s that are under his budget.

If want to write your opinion, there is nothing I can stop you nor I want to and please take my apology if I offened you on anything.
I kinda just felt bad people wasting their energy.

Oh well.. I guess I'm wasting my energy here. lol
Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #42
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TT77 View Post
Wow, thanks man. Your compliment means a lot.

Why do you recommend the hardtop over the convertible? Body flex?

I'm already thinking of mods
The ones i've thought of so far are:
Dinan Intercooled Supercharger (later on)
Dinan Stage 3 tune
SMG tune
High Flow throttle bodies
Electric cutout exhaust
Wow. You must have good paying job because that's some serious money there.

And yes, hardtop helps on body flex, but there are some events where vert can not even register.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #43
Properstyle

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
Not the mention the weight difference from vert to Coupe. Before you look in to those mode I highly suggest you get the subframe check out and get the frame plates put in if there are not already there. Nothing worse than dumping money in to your car for power mods just to find out your trunk is being seperated from the rest of the car lol.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Never ever buy a car from Glendale. All I gotta say.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #45
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
Please don't try to make a play on words,as it won't work with me sir. A car that is not maintained does not meet the standards of market value or excellent when buying a car, please try again. What I stated was that I will not pay more than the market value for a car just because some says it was well maintained when, well maintained cars sale AT MARKET VALUE. I notice that you seemed to be wrapped up in price so here is a kicker.

You buy a E46 2005m3 for 28k that has 70k on the dash, that car by market rating and national average sales for 22k. Just becuase a car is being sold at a higher price doesn't mean it wasn't beat to hell in it daily use or that it was maintained. I got my car with ALL SERVICE RECORDS from 2005 (purchase date) til Feb 2013 when it went in for inspection.

So your oh it cost more it must be a great car method is horrible....when ever you get a car you get it inspected and check out. That is what you base your purchase off of not price.
You must really think I'm an idiot.

I find your statements and tone ignorant, naive and irritating. You have already stated that you are completely ignorant to the price difference between M and non M parts. If this is true, why do you continue to offer your uneducated advice in a thread where OPs budget is right on the threshold between being able to afford a non M and opposed to an M?

Everything you are stating is completely beside the point. The point that I and others were trying to assert was that it is a fair assumption that any e46 M3 with a very attractively low asking price is likely going to need thousands of dollars in preventative maintenance and repairs to maintain the original driving dynamics and reliability.

Also, to address your most recent statements, I will absolutely pay more for a car that was owned by a true enthusiast who garaged the car and addressed every single issue, no matter how small as opposed to one on a sled lot that came from an auction. In addition, I always advise individuals to get a PPI before purchasing a used European automobile. It's 100% mandatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Well... That's because after reading some of OP's posts, we all know the intention of this thread when he initially started it. And please don't tell me you don't sense that. He has already his mind set to m3 and probably only searching for only m3s that are under his budget.

If want to write your opinion, there is nothing I can stop you nor I want to and please take my apology if I offened you on anything.
I kinda just felt bad people wasting their energy.

Oh well.. I guess I'm wasting my energy here. lol
You're right. Too often these threads are more statements than actual questions. At least this time OP seems to have a brain.

Quote:

And yes, hardtop helps on body flex, but there are some events where vert can not even register.
OP, white46 is exactly right. Many events won't let verts participate. They're also heavier, if I'm not mistaken. Ultimately I'm just not a vert guy.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #46
M4TT77

My Ride: Jaguar XJR
Quote:

My $17k is car money I've saved up for years. If I sell the Jag and use that money, than that leaves me with a nice amount of spending money. I've worked for years to save up!
M4TT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #47
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
My $17k is car money I've saved up for years. If I sell the Jag and use that money, than that leaves me with a nice amount of spending money. I've worked for years to save up!
And blowing it on a car. Thought the jag was mommy's?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #48
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Before you look in to those mode I highly suggest you get the subframe check out and get the frame plates put in if there are not already there. Nothing worse than dumping money in to your car for power mods just to find out your trunk is being seperated from the rest of the car lol.
This is true. OP should budget for it.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #49
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
And blowing it on a car. Thought the jag was mommy's?
I think it's time for our E55s

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #50
choxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I think it's time for our E55s
Yup
Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #51
Properstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
You must really think I'm an idiot.

I find your statements and tone ignorant, naive and irritating. You have already stated that you are completely ignorant to the price difference between M and non M parts. If this is true, why do you continue to offer your uneducated advice in a thread where OPs budget is right on the threshold between being able to afford a non M and opposed to an M?

Everything you are stating is completely beside the point. The point that I and others were trying to assert was that it is a fair assumption that any e46 M3 with a very attractively low asking price is likely going to need thousands of dollars in preventative maintenance and repairs to maintain the original driving dynamics and reliability.

Also, to address your most recent statements, I will absolutely pay more for a car that was owned by a true enthusiast who garaged the car and addressed every single issue, no matter how small as opposed to one on a sled lot that came from an auction. In addition, I always advise individuals to get a PPI before purchasing a used European automobile. It's 100% mandatory.

OP has clearly stated that his heart is set on an M3 (NOT A NON M3)so instead of talking him out of it why don't you give him things to look for in his search.

You don't know nor can you even prove that the vehicle has been garage kept through out it's life time. Your taking what someone has said and running with it.

If you want to pay more than a car is worth thats on you. I just said Price does not mean it was maintained you can look on ebay and prove that to be correct lol.

To the OP GL with your search, and what ever you do, DO NOT, DO NOT rush into anything, and don't go in to a dealer and let them talk you up in to a car. patients is a vurtue when it comes to buying a car.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #52
choxor

Quote:
OP has clearly stated that his heart is set on an M3 (NOT A NON M3)so instead of talking him out of it why don't you give him things to look for in his search.

You don't know nor can you even prove that the vehicle has been garage kept through out it's life time. Your taking what someone has said and running with it.

If you want to pay more than a car is worth thats on you. I just said Price does not mean it was maintained you can look on ebay and prove that to be correct lol.

To the OP GL with your search, and what ever you do, DO NOT, DO NOT rush into anything, and don't go in to a dealer and let them talk you up in to a car. patients is a vurtue when it comes to buying a car.
Sorry, I don't support dumb decisions. Kids have their hearts set on all sorts of non practical things. Doesn't mean you have to support them.

Last edited by choxor; 04-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #53
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Keep in mind, an M3 that costs less than $23,000 tends to either:
A.) Be neglected (resulting in parts that are in need of replacement)
B.) Have a lot of miles (resulting in parts that are in need of replacement)

Honestly, I'd wait to save up some more money before buying one. Definitely get one, I just suggest you don't rush into it. Buy something that's worth buying, that isn't in need of a resurrection.

-------------------
Just saw that $13k M3.......NOPE. Whole lotta nope.

Also, at the people here without M3s trying to preach how much they cost to maintain. You guys make it seem like you have to have a 6 digit salary to maintain an E46M.

Last edited by PH03NIX46; 04-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #54
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
333hp is to much car for a 17 year old. You can argue about how responsible you are tell you are blue in the face. If your parents and your friend parents had any brains you and your friends would be driving more sensible cars for your age.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #55
M4TT77

Choxor, you have a 750whp Accord. Judging you from this, you're not very practical. I'd appreciate it if you could be less snarky and actually post useful, insightful content. To all of you, please be /ontopic from this post on.

My parents trusted me enough to hand down their Jaguar to me- and I'm grateful for what I have. The car is not worth too much, definitely less than a new Honda Accord. This is what I have, take it or leave it.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #56
choxor

Quote:
Choxor, you have a 750whp Accord. Judging you from this, you're not very practical. I'd appreciate it if you could be less snarky and actually post useful, insightful content. To all of you, please be /ontopic from this post on.

My parents trusted me enough to hand down their Jaguar to me- and I'm grateful for what I have. The car is not worth too much, definitely less than a new Honda Accord. This is what I have, take it or leave it.
I drive an M3. If you can't tell that my sig is a joke then I simply don't know.

By on topic you must mean "Please only make comments that support my decision." Sorry kid, that's not how life works.

If you have actually saved that much money, blowing it on a car that costs A LOT to repair and maintain, guzzles gas, and is going to cost a ton in insurance if flat out stupid. No other way to put it.

You've linked a completely riced out M3. Know why it costs that much? Because it's a POS. People who actually own M3s have told you how much a good one costs. One guy who JUST got his M3 and others that don't even own one are telling to go for it. Figure it out.

In the end, do what you want. It's your money. We've said our piece.

Last edited by choxor; 04-21-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #57
M4TT77

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
I drive an M3. If you can't tell that my sig is a joke then I simply don't know.

By on topic you must mean "Please only make comments that support my decision." Sorry kid, that's not how life works.

-I don't even feel like arguing this.

If you have actually saved that much money, blowing it on a car that costs A LOT to repair and maintain, guzzles gas, and is going to cost a ton in insurance if flat out stupid. No other way to put it.

-Seems decent to me

You've linked a completely riced out M3. Know why it costs that much? Because it's a POS. People who actually own M3s have told you how much a good one costs. One guy who JUST got his M3 and others that don't even own one are telling to go for it. Figure it out.

-I said disregard the orange one.

In the end, do what you want. It's your money. We've said our piece. BTW, comparing owning an M3 to your mom's Ford isn't much of a comparison.

Jag***65279; 400hp, 3800lbs.
M3 333hp, 3415lbs
Decent enough
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #58
choxor

Quote:
Cool, kiddo. You've got it all figured out. Why does this thread exist again? Obviously as a high school kid, being allowed to drive your mom's XJR has made your more knowledgeable than those of us who actually own the car.

Do what you want. We've given our advice.

Last edited by choxor; 04-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #59
Properstyle

First off I didn't tell him that was a good buy and that he should buy it maybe your level of compression while reading it lacking if you think so. I told him price does not determine wheither the car was or is maintianed, I just got an M3 yet I've own euro for some years now that is just as expensive and in some cases more expensive to maintain so get your facts straight.

A M3 doesn't cost alot to maintain hell espacially when you compare it to a GTR where just the tranny flush is 1800 dollars so stop acting like the M3 E46 cost 90k to maintain. Half the item that are replaced are due to age alone and not just wear and tear on a vehicle.]

to close dude, you've owned an M3 for a year, don't act like you've experience all that is to be had with one and if you are some one as well that just drops his car off a shop becuase he or she is not mechinally inclinded to work on their own car i more than likly is very expensive for you. However there are those that do work on their own vehicle. So cry me a river on that one.

Last edited by Properstyle; 04-21-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Properstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #60
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
Keep in mind, an M3 that costs less than $23,000 tends to either:
A.) Be neglected (resulting in parts that are in need of replacement)
B.) Have a lot of miles (resulting in parts that are in need of replacement)

Honestly, I'd wait to save up some more money before buying one. Definitely get one, I just suggest you don't rush into it. Buy something that's worth buying, that isn't in need of a resurrection.

-------------------
Just saw that $13k M3.......NOPE. Whole lotta nope.

Also, at the people here without M3s trying to preach how much they cost to maintain. You guys make it seem like you have to have a 6 digit salary to maintain an E46M.
It does not take that much to maintain this car, just lots of involvement and wrenching on the owners part. Which the OP has stated he has access to. I have tons of miles on mines (180k), well maintained and it did not cost me that much. Aside from a fatal catastrophic failing of the drivetrain, its not that much to fix up. It share plenty of parts from non M e46.

When i hear people talk about fixing this car, it has always been taken to the dealer or indy to have it service. They then complain about how much it cost them to get it fixed. It was the labor that got them.

And yes, parents do hand down their cars to kids. Its not spoiling them, its just a hand me down. So enough of guilting the kid for having a car passed him from his parents. He has saved quite a bit of money to afford one, that shows responsibility. With his hard earned money, he'll enjoy what he have bought and sacrifice and will be careful with the car.

For those who are opposed to him having an M3, its more like they are wanting to keep the m3 exclusive to themselves and over inflate the cost of ownership.

intelone is online now   Reply With Quote