E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #141
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
another DIY, i need to save for later.

Sub'd
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #142
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
....... but the tool makes this a breeze. i suggest rent, buy or borrow one for people doing this in future.
Tool is key!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #143
drummr8

My Ride: Steel Grey 02 330Ci
I am replacing my shocks right now and I was going to throw the powerflex rtabs in there too. Should I wait for the suspension to settle before doing the powerflex rtabs? Thanks.
drummr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #144
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
not sure why you'd need to. as long as properly lubed the PF rtab's should rotate and not need preloading. so I don't see any drawback in doing it same time
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #145
phibz

My Ride: 05 M3 Cbn Blk
Just did mine on Sunday. The tool made removing the bushings a piece of cake. If you remove the bottom shock bolt it will make it easier to lower the trailing arm down further. Make sure you support the suspension while removing the bolt.

The hardest part I had was getting the trailing arm back in place. The arm kept wanting to push in towards the body. I put a 1" thick phone book between the arm and the wheel well and placed the jack as close to the under side of the carrier as possible. You'll still have to he-man it in place a bit when it gets close.

Took 5 hours on my own. The second side went faster.
phibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #146
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phibz View Post
Just did mine on Sunday. The tool made removing the bushings a piece of cake. If you remove the bottom shock bolt it will make it easier to lower the trailing arm down further. Make sure you support the suspension while removing the bolt.

The hardest part I had was getting the trailing arm back in place. The arm kept wanting to push in towards the body. I put a 1" thick phone book between the arm and the wheel well and placed the jack as close to the under side of the carrier as possible. You'll still have to he-man it in place a bit when it gets close.

Took 5 hours on my own. The second side went faster.
it took me 1.5 hours to do both side with a couple of friends using the tool. local shop quoted me $200 labor. i think anyone wanting new rtab should just go to a shop. not worth doing it yourself as the tool is about $70-100.

be sure to get an alignment as mine was totally off. there is no way to get the alignment back correctly even with an outline of the bracket. i removed two multi link including shock mount to get the trailing arm lowered.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #147
slate

My Ride: 1987 325ic, 2003 M3
My notes from an install this past week:
1) you don't need to disconnect the wires on the control arm, just remove the wires from the clips on the arm and body below the RTAB - you can push the wire(s) out of the way
2) There was a plastic underbody piece on my M3 directly under the RTAB that had to be removed (piece was at bottom of body with the rest of that plastic covering) - 3 plastic expanding rivets; you'll have to remove this plastic piece (and anther plastic piece if you feel it necessary to disconnect the wires, as that box on my M3 was barely visible looking from the rear/wheel well)
3) the "slots" in the old bushing on the outboard side were vertical - meaning that my puller had to be 90 degrees from the puller pictured, also meaning that the arm had to be lower to mount the puller. I needed to remove the rocker panel plastic piece to do this work - a bunch of plastic rivets and popping the clips just under the doors. on side had to remove the lower shock bolt
3a) this tool is needed - literally 2 minutes to remove the RTAB, once mounted; with bimetal corrosion and rust, doing without is a waste of time
4) I had to chamfer/cleanup the trailing arm on the inboard side where the new bushing went - the tolerances are ridiculously tight and there was NO WAY the new RTAB was going in after 30 min of cursing. Just a little material removed with a file around the RTAB hole and it slid in with medium effort by hand (worst part of the first side I did - you've been warned)
5) I used a permatex ceramic brake lube on the RTABs, fully synthetic, kind to plastic and good for a wide range of temps and viscous to stay on the RTAB
6) You'll need an alignment after for sure - mine was way off
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #148
miked02

My Ride: 330ci
regarding preload: I used a 2x4 and aligned the bottom of the carrier with a point 8mm above the hub center point. When I tried to bolt the carrier back to the frame, it's probably a good 30-35 degrees off from flush.

I guess the logic is that it if you force the carrier bracket to the frame while it's not flush (in my case the 30 or so degrees off), the bushing will be under torsion load from the center shaft being twisted by the carrier bracket. Then when you get the car back on it's wheels, the trailing arm will pivot and twist the outside of the bushing the same direction to relieve the torsion load.

Is this correct?

For those who have done the preload following the bentley method, how did your carrier bracket fit against the frame?? Did you have to force it to sit flush?

edit: just realized this is the powerflex rtab thread.

Last edited by miked02; 06-23-2013 at 01:38 AM.
miked02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #149
e46first

My Ride: 2000 323i
great post very helpful
e46first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #150
fmzip

Glad it helped!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #151
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
what's the proper method for regreasing the bushings? my UUC ones have developed a pretty annoying squeek so i want to pull them out to clean them up. i assume the center dowel can be pushed out, then the two bushing halves come apart from there and then grease everything before reassembly?
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #152
03jetblackm3

My Ride: E46 M3
Wow very clear DIY. I'll be referring to this when I do my RTAB.
Thank You.
Question, I also have the Vorshlag limiters. Do I put the limiters on the bushing before pressing it in the housing or after?
Thanks
03jetblackm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #153
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
If you need to make a tool, you do not need to make it as robust as the ones sold... I made mine with 1" square steel tubing (1/8" wall) and a piece of angle iron. Made a "U" with the tubing and added the angle iron for strength. The piece I used to pull the bushing out was unfortunately just a hair too big, so it would not pull through so I instead used an old socket and washers. It is kindof crude, but it worked fine and got the job done easily... just fyi for you guys.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #154
frongm

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
If you don't have the tool, you can use a ball joint tool which is available for free at Autozone. Sure it's a bit cumbersome but it is possible to remove the old rtabs with it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1579666
frongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #155
garagistic

My Ride: E46 325i Touring
Need to get around to doing this.
garagistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #156
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
i made a thread. click my user name

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #157
fmzip

Why didn't you just link it, it's great info?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1006058

Last edited by fmzip; 09-18-2013 at 11:34 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:32 AM   #158
hiroxbmw

My Ride: 325xi
Great thread, I really appreciate everyone's words of wisdom of getting the job done. I replaced my RTABs last week with powerflex bushings.

I decided not to use the bushing removal tool after my experience replacing the front control bushings a month ago. I used a medium sized drill bit and drilled several holes through the rubber of the old bushing, then cut circumferentially through the rubber using a sawzaill. I then carefully cut the metal sleeve of the outside of the bushing using the saw. Took five minutes to get the old bushing off, total job of less than two and a half hours. It took more time than i expected pressing one side of the urethane bushing in -- i has to use a couple of c-clamps to push it into place.

I also shot some spray paint outline around the trailing arm carrier to mark it's position before unbolting it. there are a couple of small circular holes in the carrier which helped more than the outline to realign the carrier on reassembly.
hiroxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #159
typeflex

My Ride: e46
Ohhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa, this is the thread I needed to figure out this whole preload crap. Thanks for all the informative posts everyone.
typeflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #160
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
I did a DIY that has some additional information of the above DIY, which was very useful. It includes how to mount the bushing bracket better to ensure you don't need an alignment, as well as how to make a very cheap, and dead easy to make home made tool for this job, and any other bushing job. Link below if people are interested.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044146
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote