E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
Suspension Question

Get guys I wanna stance out my 2003 325xi
I'm going to be investing on the Silverline Coilover System!

But before doing so, do you guys have any recommendations on changing any parts seeing that the car will be fairly low. (I recently changed the front axles)

And like many other drivers i hear a clunking noise when i hit a bump or hole on the street. Don't know if it's the endlinks, bushings, or control arm...

Any tips would definitely help, thanks!
FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
I'm parting out my konigsport adjustable coilovers. Let me know if your interested.

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36-2.0 View Post
I'm parting out my konigsport adjustable coilovers. Let me know if your interested.
I PM'd you
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
adrian8507

My Ride: E46 325xi 2002
If you are thinking on putting coilovers on a XI . Theres only one thing you should be aware . Your car will start giving you problems with axles due to the lowering of the car . Remember our cars have doble differential and they can not be lowered so.much .hope helps

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Bimmer App
adrian8507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian8507 View Post
If you are thinking on putting coilovers on a XI . Theres only one thing you should be aware . Your car will start giving you problems with axles due to the lowering of the car . Remember our cars have doble differential and they can not be lowered so.much .hope helps

I'm not to familiar with how differentials work or how it affects the lowering ;(

But i've seen some pretty nice stanced out xi's.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
adrian8507

My Ride: E46 325xi 2002
I know but they are axles prones most of the time . Let me ask u do u live where you have snow ?

adrian8507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian8507 View Post
I know but they are axles prones most of the time . Let me ask u do u live where you have snow ?

Nope lol, in Miami there's sun 365 days a year
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Quote:
Originally Posted by FcBarcelona View Post
Nope lol, in Miami there's sun 365 days a year
Get rid of that car and buy a RWD "i". xi is for snow.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
Well I'm kinda stuck with it now, I've put in some money on it! I wanna work on it :-) plus its red my favorite color!

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
bmwporschefan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
lol I must have missed the sign when I moved back down to FL.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwporschefan View Post
lol I must have missed the sign when I moved back down to FL.
Lol we both did :'(

But I really like the car I have new rotors and pads for all 4 and new axles. I believe I also have a small vcg leak...slightly leaking

But besides that the car is fine, just getting the car in shape to stance it! Love me a stanced car :-)

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
FcBarcelona

I'm still confused about the whole debate on lowering an XI or not.

I've seen people drive a slammed XI for many miles without a problem, while there's this guy i've seen change the axles 8x already.

Is there a way to "beef" up the suspension before stancing the XI?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
I'm not to familiar with how differentials work or how it affects the lowering ;(

But i've seen some pretty nice stanced out xi's.
Read up. You're making a very risky change to look cool

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Read up. You're making a very risky change to look cool
Lol believe me i'm searching hard

it's just very mixed, and i'm not trying to be cool. I just love stancing a car. IMO it looks so much better. I'd give up ride quality for looks.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Lol believe me i'm searching hard

it's just very mixed, and i'm not trying to be cool. I just love stancing a car. IMO it looks so much better. I'd give up ride quality for looks.
Lol so much contradiction. You're not trying to look cool, but doing it because it looks better and would give up ride quality for looks...

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Suspension Question

I have KW V1s on my car and I do enjoy them. I have them set so my xi looks like a regular i, possibly a bit lower. Basically, not slammed by any means.

Here's what it comes down to: if you can't DIY CV boots, then don't do this. My outer boots crack all the time. Legitimately 3+ times a year. I've gotten to the point when I'm very good at replacing these ($26 from pelican parts), so it's not a big deal. But honestly, I'm considering raising my car back up to stock 4x4 status. It's just not worth it to me at this point. But then again, it really does make my car look so much better.

My axels themselves are holding up great, but the angle is pretty extreme. Looking at it under load looks pretty unnatural. I will most likely switch it back to xi height. Then again, if the boots wear out at the same rate, then I'd just keep it lowered.

TL;DR prepare to DIY your front CV boots on the reg

Oh also, I had a clink (not clunk) and after tons of parts, it's ended up being my rear brake pads (one of the metal tabs was bent and causing it to slap the rotor occasionally)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by TR4G-; 04-22-2013 at 06:06 PM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
I have KW V1s on my car and I do enjoy them. I have them set so my xi looks like a regular i, possibly a bit lower. Basically, not slammed by any means.

Here's what it comes down to: if you can't DIY CV boots, then don't do this. My outer boots crack all the time. Legitimately 3+ times a year. I've gotten to the point when I'm very good at replacing these ($26 from pelican parts), so it's not a big deal. But honestly, I'm considering raising my car back up to stock 4x4 status. It's just not worth it to me at this point. But then again, it really does make my car look so much better.

My axels themselves are holding up great, but the angle is pretty extreme. Looking at it under load looks pretty unnatural. I will most likely switch it back to xi height. Then again, if the boots wear out at the same rate, then I'd just keep it lowered.

TL;DR prepare to DIY your front CV boots on the reg

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks for your response man I will definitely take your word when I buy my coils. And if the CV boot is cracking is the only issues, i have no problem with that.

But again thanks for giving me a clear response and being honest!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
bmwporschefan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
My boots have cracked a few times in the 8 years I owned it and last week is the first time I have done anything to make it non stock. I see lowered cars all the time that are front wheel drive. Do they claim that their boots prematurely fail? Or are BMW boots crap compared to every other make? I never really seen real evidence that because my car now sits maybe, and I mean maybe a 1" lower that boots are going to fail faster or the car is going to just fall apart. Time will tell I guess. And I didn't lower my car because I thought it was "cool." Honestly it was time for a suspension refresh and the springs and shocks were cheaper. I have not modified my car until I did this lol.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwporschefan View Post
My boots have cracked a few times in the 8 years I owned it and last week is the first time I have done anything to make it non stock. I see lowered cars all the time that are front wheel drive. Do they claim that their boots prematurely fail? Or are BMW boots crap compared to every other make? I never really seen real evidence that because my car now sits maybe, and I mean maybe a 1" lower that boots are going to fail faster or the car is going to just fall apart. Time will tell I guess. And I didn't lower my car because I thought it was "cool." Honestly it was time for a suspension refresh and the springs and shocks were cheaper. I have not modified my car until I did this lol.
Lol yeah, my car has 105k miles. It's time to change up everything and getting a suspension is a must and i like stanced cars like my old one before this one. So why not inb4bcuzxi
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
FLO1337

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I've had this "clunking noise" too, I ended up replacing both front axles, control arms and with no luck; fast forward a year and half it turned out to be my stabilizer links. I just installed KW's on my XI no more clunking and so far no issues.
FLO1337 is offline   Reply With Quote