E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #61
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
All I'm going to add for now... a lot of people take solace in their understanding/analysis of the details when their physiques show clearly that they don't have a solid understanding of the basics.
This applies to me I believe in a way, since I like to help people out and have a lot of work left myself. But I'm ok with that, because I'm comfortable in the knowledge base I've built, as it all comes from guys who have the results and experience.

I just need time now, I feel comfortable and am not changing things up every week because this article said that when another article says differently... I found what works for me and my lifestyle, and it's a great feeling after treading water for a couple years making mistakes and learning from them. It's a long process!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #62
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
I dunno, in the end... I still think: calf raises > squats

Amiright?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #63
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Those that can, do. Those who cannot, coach.
Those who can't do either, we call Z00
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #64
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
omg.

best post in H&F maybe ever.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #65
sweetbro858

You guys are a bunch of bullies
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #66
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Excuse me for being frank but.....you seriously are an idiot. Really! Read the very first sentence in that response again.

z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #67
z00

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
You guys are a bunch of bullies

I had a long Sun working, this made me lol. I'm not that difficult.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #68
sweetbro858

Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #69
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Some people have OCD issues with working out where they are afraid of incorrect amounts of macro nutrients and they need to log and analyze every workout, and then cross-reference it with whether their scale at the gym shows they gained another 0.2lbs over the past 3 days. Other people spend a lot of their time surfing the internet trying to learn the next new thing to do because maybe it'll give them an edge and magically make them bigger overnight, and they spend all their time talking about how White Flood is better than 1MR, but Jack3d beats Black Powder. Shlt-the crap the pops up on the internet always cancels out the last thing that it said was good or big.
In all honesty, a lot of the stuff out there is placebo or snakeoil. You just go in and fvcking workout and do it, eat correctly, and you take your vitamins, minerals, essential acids and fats, and you'll be okay.
If you're the kind of person that needs to buy every proprietary secret supplement compount, you believe the internet when it says that doing 1/4 squats does just as much as ass-to-grass, and that isolation with those bitch 2.5lb pink weights does more than using real weight, you should probably be working out at Curves.

While we're on the subject, people need to go ahead and disregard 90% of the crap personal trainers say at gyms and clubs. They're all selling something, whether it be a special system or the gym's ungodly expensive protein that's made in a Mexico sweat shop.
They offered my wife a body analysis for $100-something odd dollars to tell her exactly what body type she had and how her metabolism would work so that she could get maximum benefits by doing the right exercises for her body. She asked me what I thought of it. I spent 5 minutes writing down a workout routine and asked her for $100 worth of sex. I got all 38 seconds worth out of it too.
But seriously- personal trainers all want to make a name for themselves. They all want to Jillian or Bob, so don't fall for their marketing schemes.

Also, be realistic. There are lots of people who talk about the effectiveness of Insanity and P90X workouts, but that's in the realm of fitness and weight loss. Despite what those workout informercials profess, you won't get super huge jacked by using stretch bands and karate kicks.

I find it just dumbfounding that people disregard videos of the big "greats" like Arnold, Dorian Yates, Lou Ferrigno, Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, etc etc, in favor of videos and advice from scrawny dudes with 8-pack abs. Shows that for them, they're looking for the vanity of it and not to just be a monster. Seriously- you listen to the goober that tells you that full squats are bad, and ignore the video of Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman going ass-to-grass with 500lbs? Good luck with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
I need to eat better while eating out. I refuse to cook and eat alone at home.

Am I being stubborn?
Yes. Man up and learn to grill. That sounds more lazy than anything. That, or just plain crazy.

What is the problem that you have with eating alone? Shlt- I prefer to eat alone. It's like controlled carnage.

But seriously, get yourself a gas grill or Foreman. I don't know a single bodybuilder or power lifter who doesn't have one or the other, or both. I grill 2-4x per week. I think if you took a poll on here, every guy who is serious about lifting is also serious about grilling (or Foremaning).

Quote:
The guys on here aren't going to see a difference in their lifts/body from eating a burger from a restaurant versus at home.
I see a difference, but that's just because my burgers look like somone put the entire ass-end of a cow between a whole wheat bun.

Quote:
I like my chicken caged and clucking, and my beef grainy and striated. Free range and grass fed are for the weak.
Grass fed beef tastes like crap anyways.

Quote:

....All I have time for is policing and lifting, and stuffing my face in between.
No kidding. That's the summation of what goes on during my rotations. Wake, gym, work, sleep.
The guy I share my squad with actually gets upset about the permanent protein fart stench that is imbedded into the seat.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #70
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i noticed z00 is beginning to intermittently quote other people's posts and write his response UNDER the quote, as opposed to above it. maybe we're finally starting to get through to him. one step at a time...
Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #71
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Very well said Reedo, I am a firm believer in exactly what you have said, just lift. My sister is a crossfit nut and into all the new workouts, constantly preaching to me about what I need to do, her boyfriend also happens to be a trainer. She keeps telling me I need to do TRX, crossfit this, kettle bell that. My response how much do you bench, her response I don't do that stuff. She is so brainwashed by all thus crap and was never much of an athlete before that she doesn't get that there are different ways to work out.

I go off of what my high school conditioning coach taught me, as he was a former professional body builder.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #72
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
anyone looking to give females a reason why they should lift with barbells:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011...ng-super-hero/

great story
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #73
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Some people have OCD issues with working out where they are afraid of incorrect amounts of macro nutrients and they need to log and analyze every workout, and then cross-reference it with whether their scale at the gym shows they gained another 0.2lbs over the past 3 days. Other people spend a lot of their time surfing the internet trying to learn the next new thing to do because maybe it'll give them an edge and magically make them bigger overnight, and they spend all their time talking about how White Flood is better than 1MR, but Jack3d beats Black Powder. Shlt-the crap the pops up on the internet always cancels out the last thing that it said was good or big.
In all honesty, a lot of the stuff out there is placebo or snakeoil. You just go in and fvcking workout and do it, eat correctly, and you take your vitamins, minerals, essential acids and fats, and you'll be okay.
If you're the kind of person that needs to buy every proprietary secret supplement compount, you believe the internet when it says that doing 1/4 squats does just as much as ass-to-grass, and that isolation with those bitch 2.5lb pink weights does more than using real weight, you should probably be working out at Curves.

While we're on the subject, people need to go ahead and disregard 90% of the crap personal trainers say at gyms and clubs. They're all selling something, whether it be a special system or the gym's ungodly expensive protein that's made in a Mexico sweat shop.
They offered my wife a body analysis for $100-something odd dollars to tell her exactly what body type she had and how her metabolism would work so that she could get maximum benefits by doing the right exercises for her body. She asked me what I thought of it. I spent 5 minutes writing down a workout routine and asked her for $100 worth of sex. I got all 38 seconds worth out of it too.
But seriously- personal trainers all want to make a name for themselves. They all want to Jillian or Bob, so don't fall for their marketing schemes.

Also, be realistic. There are lots of people who talk about the effectiveness of Insanity and P90X workouts, but that's in the realm of fitness and weight loss. Despite what those workout informercials profess, you won't get super huge jacked by using stretch bands and karate kicks.

I find it just dumbfounding that people disregard videos of the big "greats" like Arnold, Dorian Yates, Lou Ferrigno, Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, etc etc, in favor of videos and advice from scrawny dudes with 8-pack abs. Shows that for them, they're looking for the vanity of it and not to just be a monster. Seriously- you listen to the goober that tells you that full squats are bad, and ignore the video of Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman going ass-to-grass with 500lbs? Good luck with that...

Yes. Man up and learn to grill. That sounds more lazy than anything. That, or just plain crazy.

What is the problem that you have with eating alone? Shlt- I prefer to eat alone. It's like controlled carnage.

But seriously, get yourself a gas grill or Foreman. I don't know a single bodybuilder or power lifter who doesn't have one or the other, or both. I grill 2-4x per week. I think if you took a poll on here, every guy who is serious about lifting is also serious about grilling (or Foremaning).

I see a difference, but that's just because my burgers look like somone put the entire ass-end of a cow between a whole wheat bun.

Grass fed beef tastes like crap anyways.

No kidding. That's the summation of what goes on during my rotations. Wake, gym, work, sleep.
The guy I share my squad with actually gets upset about the permanent protein fart stench that is imbedded into the seat.
Well that's why!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #74
z00

Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i noticed z00 is beginning to intermittently quote other people's posts and write his response UNDER the quote, as opposed to above it. maybe we're finally starting to get through to him. one step at a time...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #75
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:

Call me crazy. I don't socialize during the 9-7 so dinner is pretty much my only time.

I used to have a foreman, i'll get another.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #76
sweetbro858

Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #77
sweetbro858

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Call me crazy. I don't socialize during the 9-7 so dinner is pretty much my only time.

I used to have a foreman, i'll get another.
I've had smaller one for a few years, but I needed to prepare larger quantities at once. I picked up a huge one, massive size lol. Doesn't have removable grills but its whatever. 3 pounds of chicken breast divided up into 12-14oz portions, I'll grill each portion for 3 minutes even, chicken always comes out perfect.

But whenever I get the chance, I'll use a real grill, but I'm more than content with the foreman.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #78
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I grill like a mofo. 10lbs bags of frozen chicken from Costco go fast. Usually have 12-16 chicken breasts on the grill at a time. Foreman is for those days when it's too windy to use the grill and I ran out of chicken in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Very well said Reedo, I am a firm believer in exactly what you have said, just lift. My sister is a crossfit nut and into all the new workouts, constantly preaching to me about what I need to do, her boyfriend also happens to be a trainer. She keeps telling me I need to do TRX, crossfit this, kettle bell that. My response how much do you bench, her response I don't do that stuff. She is so brainwashed by all thus crap and was never much of an athlete before that she doesn't get that there are different ways to work out.

I go off of what my high school conditioning coach taught me, as he was a former professional body builder.
I have friends that do that. Hell, one time one of my buddies tried to force me to read a massive article on X-Reps. Got about 3 minutes in and the ADD kicked in and I deleted it.
I don't knock cross-fit, because crossfit chicks generally are hot as fvck. BUT, I also tend to think that it's a niche workout system, just like many other things. It has its place, but it still does not substitute outright strength training for guys. Guys doing crossfit sort of goes different ways. Some guys want the fitness. Okay, cool...but shut up about it. I don't care.

My old high school weight coach was OLD old school. Great guy. He didn't give a crap what you did, as long as you went big and went hard. You never let him catch you mailing in a workout, because he would give you dumbbells and make you do lunges down a 50yd hallway and back. He was one of those guys that had a 5gal bucket with kitty litter in it for puke, spit and blood. My senior year I had my wisdom teeth out and was supposed to take a week off. Nope. Two days later I was in there doing bench. I popped the clots in my mouth and I had to go spit out blood. He stopped everyone and called them over. "everybody stop what you are doing and get yer asses over here! See this guy Reed here? He worked out so hard he's spitting blood. This guy is tough. Everyone here should be like Reed. If you aren't spitting blood, you aren't working out hard enough. Now get back to work!"
He used to walk up to random guys in the halls between classes and assign them to eat food. Good ol' Bob Hoecherl...
Some great Hoecherlisms:
"Reed! Good work today. Tomorrow I want you to bring in 5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and eat them by the end of the day."
YES COACH!

"Myre! You're shrinking. I want you to bring boiled potatas to school. Line them up on your desk during class and eat them like apples. You need carbs. Lots of carbs."
YES COACH!

"Barrett- keep a pot of goulash in your locker."
YES COACH!

His answer to everything was to eat steak and eat carbs.
Gotta love the old school.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #79
BMW_Matt

Quote:
I grill like a mofo. 10lbs bags of frozen chicken from Costco go fast. Usually have 12-16 chicken breasts on the grill at a time. Foreman is for those days when it's too windy to use the grill and I ran out of chicken in the fridge.

I have friends that do that. Hell, one time one of my buddies tried to force me to read a massive article on X-Reps. Got about 3 minutes in and the ADD kicked in and I deleted it.
I don't knock cross-fit, because crossfit chicks generally are hot as fvck. BUT, I also tend to think that it's a niche workout system, just like many other things. It has its place, but it still does not substitute outright strength training for guys. Guys doing crossfit sort of goes different ways. Some guys want the fitness. Okay, cool...but shut up about it. I don't care.

My old high school weight coach was OLD old school. Great guy. He didn't give a crap what you did, as long as you went big and went hard. You never let him catch you mailing in a workout, because he would give you dumbbells and make you do lunges down a 50yd hallway and back. He was one of those guys that had a 5gal bucket with kitty litter in it for puke, spit and blood. My senior year I had my wisdom teeth out and was supposed to take a week off. Nope. Two days later I was in there doing bench. I popped the clots in my mouth and I had to go spit out blood. He stopped everyone and called them over. "everybody stop what you are doing and get yer asses over here! See this guy Reed here? He worked out so hard he's spitting blood. This guy is tough. Everyone here should be like Reed. If you aren't spitting blood, you aren't working out hard enough. Now get back to work!"
He used to walk up to random guys in the halls between classes and assign them to eat food. Good ol' Bob Hoecherl...
Some great Hoecherlisms:
"Reed! Good work today. Tomorrow I want you to bring in 5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and eat them by the end of the day."
YES COACH!

"Myre! You're shrinking. I want you to bring boiled potatas to school. Line them up on your desk during class and eat them like apples. You need carbs. Lots of carbs."
YES COACH!

"Barrett- keep a pot of goulash in your locker."
YES COACH!

His answer to everything was to eat steak and eat carbs.
Gotta love the old school.
You seemed to turn out just fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #80
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Gotta love the old school guys. My wife's grandfather who passed away recently was such as badass.

Showed me these pictures of him clean and jerking 280 on the beach with a barbell that didn't rotate when he was 17 and weighed 140lbs.

Lied about his age to sign up for the army in WWII, his ship was sunk and he swam to Italy in hostile waters, lol.

Fell out of a tree 30 ft up when he was 70, broke 27 bones and lived another 19 years.

Took him out to dinner about a month before he passed away and he was putting away beers faster than I could.

Lived an awesome life. Best man I've ever known.....RIP
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote