E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Dirtbmw20

My Ride: 2002 M3
Setting I/P clock with an aftermarket radio

I have recently purchased (yesterday) a 2002 M3 from a fellow forum member and he had removed the factory radio and installed a Kenwood head unit. I can get the clock set on the Kenwood unit but for the life of me, I can not get the clock set on the instrument cluster of the car. I can toggle through all the different functions and when I get to the clock, twist the right knob on the cluster to set the clock and nothing happens.

Is it possible that once the factory head unit is removed, the I/P clock can NOT be set anymore since they co-incided with each other on the clock function ?? Has anyone else had this problem and if so...... what is the fix ???
How do I get the clock set on the cluster useing an aftermarket radio ???Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Lee

Last edited by Dirtbmw20; 04-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Dirtbmw20

I can't believe I'm the only one that has ever had this problem, surely someone else has encountered this before.

The owners manual says a time HAS to be a time in that place before it can actually be changed. Mine has NO time there at all. it looks like this on the cluster ( ----:---- )

Any suggestions or ideas on how to actually get a time to show up there at all so maybe then I can change it ??????
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Cali Chase

My Ride: 2002 325i
Setting I/P clock with an aftermarket radio

I have the same situation and have learned to just get used to it. Hope so one has a solution

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Vorsteiner l BBS l Corbeau l csl l Autopower
**pm me for custom carbon fiber work and repair**

2007 Interlagos Blue Z4 ///M Coupe #1197 out of 1815
Porsche gt2/carrera gt cf seats l Apex arc-8s l R888s l BC Coilovers

wanting to get a vf-570 and 315/30s rear, 285s/35 front.The 285s rear arnt enough
Cali Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
it could be a bad dashboard or the pins used to set the time are broken. I saw a thread about the broken pin a while back , just search for it

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Dirtbmw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
it could be a bad dashboard or the pins used to set the time are broken. I saw a thread about the broken pin a while back , just search for it

I'll assume you mean a bad cluster instead of a bad dashboard. Nevertheless, that is not the problem, if it were, then I would be having other issues than JUST the clock, there are NO other issues with the cluster except there is no time there to adjust.

And NO, the pin isn't bad either because I can change other functions using that pin.

Lee
Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Are you sure you are using the correct method to set the clock via the pin?

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3592
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
ccaudio1

My Ride: 330i
Just went out and adjusted my clock on the cluster with the right knob/pin. I don't have the factory stereo installed

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE (Sense 5) using Bimmer App
Speakers: DLS Audio
Subwoofers: (2) 12" MB Quarts

MODS: Coming Soon
ccaudio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Dirtbmw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Are you sure you are using the correct method to set the clock via the pin?

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3592

Yes.... I am 110% positive I am using the correct pin for adjustment.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Dirtbmw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaudio1 View Post
Just went out and adjusted my clock on the cluster with the right knob/pin. I don't have the factory stereo installed

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE (Sense 5) using Bimmer App
ccaudio........ I certainly believe you and I KNOW it can be done, there are way too many people that have aftermarket stereos to not have the clock work.

In the owners manual it SPECIFICALLY says a time MUST be there in order for it to be adjusted or changed. It seems my problem is I have to figure out HOW to get an actual time there in order for me to be able to change it. There is NO time there at all, just ---:--- and that's it. Wether the time be wrong or not, I have to get a time in that spot before it will allow me to change it with the cluster pin.

My problem is I don't know HOW to get the actual time programed in that spot. Once a time is there, I'll be able to change it with the pin on the cluster.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
ccaudio1

My Ride: 330i
I was playing today with Pasoft 1.4 and resetted my cluster. Time went to --:-- display on the cluster but I was still able to program the time after that.

sent from my EVO 4G LTE (Sense 5) using Bimmer App
Speakers: DLS Audio
Subwoofers: (2) 12" MB Quarts

MODS: Coming Soon
ccaudio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Dirtbmw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaudio1 View Post
I was playing today with Pasoft 1.4 and resetted my cluster. Time went to --:-- display on the cluster but I was still able to program the time after that.

sent from my EVO 4G LTE (Sense 5) using Bimmer App
Interesting..... and good to know at the same time. No doubt something is wrong on mine but since I just got the car Sunday, I really don't know how any of the mods were done or if done correctly or hacked, who knows. I just find it odd that the TIME is the ONLY problem I'm having, all other functions are working fine and I can change other functions using that same knob on the cluster so therefore I don't believe the little adjusting tabs are broken on the inside of the cluster. I'm puzzled, I don't know wth the problem is......
Thanks again for the info ccaudio.

Lee
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Not trying to be a dick, but are you sure the car is in position 1 or 2 when you're setting the time?
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Dirtbmw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but are you sure the car is in position 1 or 2 when you're setting the time?
Grande......... No harm taken and I honestly don't see your post as being a dick, I greatly appreciate your input.

I have tried the setting in position 1, position 2, and also with the vehicle running. What really has me so confused is I can change or reset ALL the other functions with that particular pin such as resetting the MPG and also the MPH, change the temp from celcius to farenheit, but nothing on the setting of the clock.