E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #41
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You want big biceps, weighted chinups. Do it with the right form and you'll be sore.

He will need MUCH more than that to achieve BIG biceps.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
He will need MUCH more than that to achieve BIG biceps.
What I said is a good start assuming he is doing compound lifts. It goes from weak -> strong -> big. Not weak -> big. Or at least speaking from my experience.

The scrawny Z00 with 13.5" biceps
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #43
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Guys,

Could it be that I am losing a slight battle against genetics here in my struggles to achieve larger, bulkier, taller biceps? Reason I think this is because my whole life I've been lanky. I consider my younger brother in comparison. He's 5'7, weighs 188 pounds at about 10% body fat. He's a freak, I'll post a pic if I find a good one. He has shorter arms, meaning a shorter distance from his shoulder to his elbows. He has the same muscle I have, but spanning over a shorter distance, which for him, has given him a FAR superior "bulk" in comparison to my muscles in this area. My bi's and tri's have always had a lot of horizontal distance to cover, and as a result, they don't ever peak very high, or have that bulky appearance. Same goes for my brother, where his legs have the same effect, he has shorter limbs, bulkier muscles. I have lanky limbs, leaner more horizontally stretched muscles, which to me appear smaller. I will agree that the strength is significantly improving, just not the vertical growth to which I desire.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 04-25-2013 at 01:00 AM.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #44
z00

Sorry, cannot blame it on genetics. You're no where close to your genetic limitation. I wish I knew this before, but it takes patience, hard work, blood, sweat, and a great healthy life style to see progress. But it's worth it.

If you're walking around the gym feeling comfortable and at ease then you're not workout out hard enough. I learned this tip from the guys here and it made a good difference. Keep your workout's intensity and volume in check.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #45
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Guys,

Could it be that I am losing a slight battle against genetics here in my struggles to achieve larger, bulkier, taller biceps? Reason I think this is because my whole life I've been lanky. I consider my younger brother in comparison. He's 5'7, weighs 188 pounds at about 10% body fat. He's a freak, I'll post a pic if I find a good one. He has shorter arms, meaning a shorter distance from his shoulder to his elbows. He has the same muscle I have, but spanning over a shorter distance, which for him, has given him a FAR superior "bulk" in comparison to my muscles in this area. My bi's and tri's have always had a lot of horizontal distance to cover, and as a result, they don't ever peak very high, or have that bulky appearance. Same goes for my brother, where his legs have the same effect, he has shorter limbs, bulkier muscles. I have lanky limbs, leaner more horizontally stretched muscles, which to me appear smaller. I will agree that the strength is significantly improving, just not the vertical growth to which I desire.

Genetics WILL play a part when it comes to muscle shape. If your biceps don't peak already, they probably won't ever. That doesn't mean that you can't build big biceps though. They will just be longer and flatter than somebody who has a bicep like a baseball/softball.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #46
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Genetics do play a huge part but you still have a lot of room for improvement so don't get discouraged. I personally don't have very muscular arms. They just get bigger. They don't look like a lot of the guys arms around here.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #47
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Biceps can grow about 0.5" a year, so I wouldn't worry too much about making them appear bigger. Also, the way the bicep attaches to the tendon in the arm (long bellied or short bellied) helps with the "peak". You look to be long bellied (flatter) so genetics could play a part.

That being said, the triceps makes up the most of your arms mass, and you can definitely increase both the size and strength of it. If you don't want to do direct bi/tri work, make sure you are incorporating chinups, pushups, bench press, dips etc.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #48
bostonsc4

Today's leg workout was fantastic! Best one in a very long time thanks to all the compound movements I did.

-Ran a moderate 5.6 miles of hills (45min)
- Seated calf raises 2x10 w/ 2 45lb plates; 1x10 with 45+25lb plates
- Front Squat: bar x10, 95x5, 135x5, 155x3 for 2 sets, then 5 reps for 3 sets I'm not sure why but I got more confident and did sets of 5 after sets of 3 and it felt incredible.
Romanian Deadlift: 135x10 for 3 sets. I really felt the stretch and contraction in my quads and hamstrings, but I could tell I was having a tough time keeping my back straight for these. Felt great on the legs though
Back Squat: 185x5 for 5 sets: Felt great. It felt great and I could really tell when there was temptation to let form degrade but I resisted that and really felt a contraction and use of my asss cheeks to keep that bar going up completely vertically with no lateral movement (lurching forward)

Dumbbell Lunges: set of 10 on each leg holding 25s

Ham Curl: 12-10-8-6-4 with 8 seconds rest \___> These made my legs feel like they were on fire, great feel to end the workout.
Quad Curl: 12-10-8-6-4 with same rest

Last edited by bostonsc4; 04-25-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #49
DylloS

Do calf stuff last. And I think it's weird you felt the rdl's in your quads. Everything looks good though.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #50
z00

Not only calves last, but also running, doing cardio before working out is going to take a good bit of energy from you.

Good workout!

I would not do quad curls (coming from my sport doc and there are many articles about it, bad for knees). Replace it with a free weight exercise. You can do step-ups or single leg squats. It's up to you.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #51
bostonsc4

After I graduate in 2 weeks, I think that will change where I start running after the lift. But for now, the way class schedules work out in comparison to how crowded the gym is it just so happens that I lift after running. And Mike the quads probably weren't being worked during romanian's I just kind of listed that area cause I could feel it in my legs pretty hard.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #52
DylloS

Yea def no long cardio before. Waste of energy. Your goal here is strength.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #53
bostonsc4

All the cardio I could handle yesterday

I played in 2 full playoff soccer games yesterday as a center forward, and sat zero minutes out of two games. Had a scary moment when I tried to put a body in front of a free kick and took it as hard as the kid could kick it straight to the temple from about 10 feet away and lost my bearing for a few minutes, but pulled myself together and got a golden goal in overtime for the win.

It was really strange though, during the break I was incredibly nauseous and threw up most of my dinner and anything else in my stomach which was directly because of the blow I took to my head.

In the "world cup" that was after a 2 hour break, I had 2 goals in regulation which we ended in a tie, still tied after an OT, and during the shootout I had a goal that put us up 1, and our goalie made a nasty save which gave us the win and championship!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	averagebros.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	503110  
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #54
bostonsc4

And today was back day, but Phillip Phillips had a concert in my school's athletic center, so they closed the whole place. I have a friend who works at PF, and he let me use his black card to go lift there.

I deadlifted there in a corner where nobody would hear me exhale too loudly.
135x10; 185x5x5; 135x10
Lat pulldowns wide grip 110x10x3
barbell rows: 95x10x3
seated rows: 120 3x10
Pullups: 5 reps till failure
Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #55
bostonsc4

My attempt at a 1RM on bench 2 days ago. This is 185, and I surprised myself by how easy the first rep went up, so I tried another. You can see where I resisted lifting my butt up trying to keep good form, but I think my spotter should have helped me more than he did, my back arched quite a bit on that second rep.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 05-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #56
DylloS

Quote:
My attempt at a 1RM on bench 2 days ago. This is 185, and I surprised myself by how easy the first rep went up, so I tried another. You can see where I resisted lifting my butt up trying to keep good form, but I think my spotter should have helped me more than he did, my back arched quite a bit on that second rep.

you know that's ok right?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #57
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
you know that's ok right?
Yes I know its definitely okay. It was approaching the limit of arch that felt comfortable though. As if I were recruiting other muscles that I shouldn't be to get that bar up
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #58
DylloS

Quote:
Yes I know its definitely okay. It was approaching the limit of arch that felt comfortable though. As if I were recruiting other muscles that I shouldn't be to get that bar up
it's a compound lift. You definitely want to use all the muscles you can. Your spotter sucks btw. You were stuck a few inches off your chest. From the chest up a few inches is the hardest part and he let you sit there lol

Last edited by DylloS; 05-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #59
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
oh my god dude get a new spotter. he should be guiding the bar, you almost went backwards and hyperextended something lol
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #60
M3Inline6

Quote:

Form suggestion.....

...keep your shoulders back at all times. At 0:03, you drive your shoulders up and cause rounding. That's going to impair your bench, and it illustrates that you're benching "with your shoulders" rather than your chest. Good job on the 1RM though.

And yeah....your spotter sucks. Get a new one!