E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #81
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
ITT - G35 Coupe and 350/370Z are worse cars than the 330. Got it.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #82
kidrobot_

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
ITT - G35 Coupe and 350/370Z are worse cars than the 330. Got it.
They aren't really comparable. If I wanted to mod for power, ya I'd take the 350 over a 330. If I wanted a DD, 330 easily.

Comparing a 350 to the M though? It's no comparison...and this is from someone who bought an 08 Z brand new, and within 2 years bought a used e46 M to mod up. The Z's interior is terrible. It's plastic, and the paint on the interior door handle is 100% going to chip and flake, and the whole thing rattled within a year of ownership.

The 46 M has its faults, 2 huge ones - but for 2k can be addressed. The VQ has 1/10th the personality of the S54. ...I mean cmon..a V6 vs an I6.
kidrobot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #83
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot_ View Post
They aren't really comparable. If I wanted to mod for power, ya I'd take the 350 over a 330. If I wanted a DD, 330 easily.

Comparing a 350 to the M though? It's no comparison...and this is from someone who bought an 08 Z brand new, and within 2 years bought a used e46 M to mod up. The Z's interior is terrible. It's plastic, and the paint on the interior door handle is 100% going to chip and flake, and the whole thing rattled within a year of ownership.

The 46 M has its faults, 2 huge ones - but for 2k can be addressed. The VQ has 1/10th the personality of the S54. ...I mean cmon..a V6 vs an I6.
A V6 has packaging advantages over a Inline motor, but an engine configuration alone doesn't make something better. The Z is a sports car, it's meant to be cheap and fast, which it is. The G35 is a 3 series competitor and better in about every objective way.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #84
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
A V6 has packaging advantages over a Inline motor, but an engine configuration alone doesn't make something better. The Z is a sports car, it's meant to be cheap and fast, which it is. The G35 is a 3 series competitor and better in about every objective way.
You must have missed my post.

So let me reiterate. 330 > G35 in almost every way. Objectively. Period. . . .

Do you not get the futility of being a Nissan fanboy on a BMW enthusiast forum? We are here because we think our cars are the **** and you aren't going to convince us otherwise.

And when you say packaging advantages of a v6, you know what that means, right?

It means we at Nissan were too cheap and lazy to try and fit a better configured engine cause our customer base won't know the difference and we will continue to bore out the same engine to keep up with the competition even when we should have designed something new about 5 years ago.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Last edited by Minnoe07; 03-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #85
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
The G35 is a 3 series competitor and better in about every objective way.
Nothing except the head flow chart you posted has been objective. Period.

An E46 M3 is objectively a better car than a G35 in many, many ways.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #86
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Nothing except the head flow chart you posted has been objective. Period.

An E46 M3 is objectively a better car than a G35 in many, many ways.
So what would you like me to post? Lap times, braking numbers, acceleration numbers - all of which the Z/G handly spanked the 3 series in mutiple times over? We know the story, I've seen the song and dance, if you want to drive a car hard, BMW is probably not the brand for you.

Is the G35 a better car than the M3? No, not outright at least. Though it does make a strong arguement for itself and is a good car, that shouldn't be debated. I would personally consider a later model G over an M, though my reasons are more financial (upkeep and maintence) as well as personal bias and opinion, more than outright facts.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #87
Grande D

Quote:
So what would you like me to post? Lap times, braking numbers, acceleration numbers - all of which the Z/G handly spanked the 3 series in mutiple times over? We know the story, I've seen the song and dance, if you want to drive a car hard, BMW is probably not the brand for you.

Is the G35 a better car than the M3? No, not outright at least. Though it does make a strong arguement for itself and is a good car, that shouldn't be debated. I would personally consider a later model G over an M, though my reasons are more financial (upkeep and maintence) as well as personal bias and opinion, more than outright facts.
Now we're on the same page.

You taking a G35 over a 330/zhp I can see, although I wouldn't do the same.

Taking a G35 over an M3 is ludicrous, and that's what you seemed to be pushing earlier.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #88
Iceman00

Quote:
Now we're on the same page.

You taking a G35 over a 330/zhp I can see, although I wouldn't do the same.

Taking a G35 over an M3 is ludicrous, and that's what you seemed to be pushing earlier.
The sedan is ugly, but the coupe still has me stealing looks to this day. A 3 series looks good in any configuration, but the G coupe > 3 series coupe. The G37 is drop dead sexy.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #89
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:

I worked for Infiniti, I would choose a sport package / 16:9 nav 330 over any G35, or 335 / M3 over any G37.

Edit: ended up buying my BMW at the Infinti dealership I worked at too.

We have 4 websites within the family.

Last edited by v8 5; 03-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #90
Grande D

Quote:
The sedan is ugly, but the coupe still has me stealing looks to this day. A 3 series looks good in any configuration, but the G coupe > 3 series coupe. The G37 is drop dead sexy.
I think the G35 coupe is much better looking than any other G, especially with the 5 spoke, split spoke wheels.

Last edited by Grande D; 03-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #91
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I think the e46 has "it". Its not the best at anything but does everything really well. Are there faster cars? Yes. Are there better handling cars? Yes. But I think BMW does both very well. Vs a G35 which might have a better engine but the rest of it...IMO...falls short of what BMW does. The BMW for me just FEELS better.

As I mentioned while battling with Minnoe07 earlier in the thread, there's a lot more to the car than just the engine.

If Iceman is talking about FI (original purpose of the thread???)...then I 100% agree with him. There are much better platforms out there.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #92
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think the e46 has "it". Its not the best at anything but does everything really well. Are there faster cars? Yes. Are there better handling cars? Yes. But I think BMW does both very well. Vs a G35 which might have a better engine but the rest of it...IMO...falls short of what BMW does. The BMW for me just FEELS better.

As I mentioned while battling with Minnoe07 earlier in the thread, there's a lot more to the car than just the engine.

If Iceman is talking about FI (original purpose of the thread???)...then I 100% agree with him. There are much better platforms out there.
The G35 can do everything the 3er does - better. Find me a track 330, I'll find 2 Gs that do the same, and haven't blown an engine doing it. Find me a FI 3er, I can point you to 5 G35s with Superchargers/Twin turbos/Single turbos.

BMW's advantage is more than likely in the intangibles. For some people that's enough, but not for everyone.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #93
Grande D

Quote:
But those engines aren't the same at all - The VQ30/35 are essentially the same engine minus displacement. Just as similar as the M52tu is to the M54.
When I brought price into the equation, I was talking about how obtainable the VQ is compared to the S series motors. Of course, the S series are not meant to be mainstream motors like the VQ is, but it speaks marvels that we can even compare the two. The VQ could be had in 240-300hp, from a family sedan, to an SUV - it's an incredible versatile engine, and you would have had to pay $15 - 20K+ more to find a "better" engine.
It should be noted that you compare the two. I've never heard someone compare a VQ motor to an S series (real S series- not US s50/52) or a G35 to an M3 for that matter until you posted in this thread.

And an S54 doesn't cost $20k, nor does an M3 cost $20k (if you just want it for the track).
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #94
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
I've given that quite some thought lately. Now I'm just looking for the perfect g35 coupe to start with.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #95
always-there

Quote:
I don't exactly disagree but championing Nissan is absurd. They have serious build quality issues as well. The interiors and styling are terrible most of the time. The cars are crude at best.

Power is not everything. No thank you.

And the S54 can probably run up against the Nissan motors for pure power. Some are nearing or slightly above 400hp N/A, without opening the engine. Out of 3.2 liters. Unlike Nissan, BMW doesn't see boring the motor out as the solution to every power problem

IIRC the VQ has it's fair share of issues as well. One of them has to do with burning so much oil that the motor fails entirely?

But we should stop derailing the thread.
Championing Nissan is absurd? It's not the vq, but the vr38dett is no slacker. It's like saying a gtr has no potential, they do! I've actually considered a g35 even before I purchased my 330i and after all the issues I've ran across with it, it sucks. The dme isn't tuner friendly, " they say", and the m54 block is weak. I wanted to maybe have the head ported and polished and maybe add an aggressive cam. After seeing all of this man screw it. I feel exactly how iceman00 feels about it, couldn't agree any more. The other day at the stop light I was able to speak to a fellow enthusiast in a manual G that was nice enough to do quick 0-60 in his car so I could hear, and damn I couldn't believe the exhaust note, loved it ! Looking to trade this car out...still love you guys, no homoerectus'
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #96
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Don't the brakes suck on g35's?
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #97
Iceman00

No.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #98
always-there

Why I am moving on from my FI'd 330Ci?

Just replaced a faulty fuel filter I purchased from bma and replaced it with a brand new Mann filter. The car was running so lean that it had trouble starting. After fixing this issue the car takes off the line so much quicker. So now, I think I'll just keep going with this project.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app