E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #41
Jakall

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I would try a slightly thicker oil and overfill it slightly before junking the motor.
I've tried that many a time to no avail. Given the variety of sounds being made, the oil it's burning through, and the amount of diagnostic work that has already gone into the engine, I think there are bigger problems than oil viscosity.

Last edited by Jakall; 04-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Jakall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You said you used a used block. If therer was a piston bore that was out of round, then the piston would slap against the block as it moved. This would cause a knocking sound that increased with speed.

The pistons are connected to rods that are connected to the crank. There are pins and bearings in different places that if not tight would make a knocking sound as the piston moved. The sound would change with speed and load. Heavy load would make the sound more pronounced or happen earlier and last longer through any given sound-event.

You said the engine made no noise until it was rebuilt, this tells me that the rebuild is high on the list of usual suspects.

I see two options, rebuild again, or live with the noise and hope the engine does not fall out.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #43
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
You mention that only quality techs/shops have worked on the car. Does this include the engine build? Everything should have been measured/checked/documented in the process. If they just bolted everything together, then piston slap is my guess. It would also explain the oil loss.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #44
Jakall

You're right... the engine rebuild seems to have been half-assed, and subsequent mechanics showed me evidence of this (the transmission wasn't bolted to the engine correctly, for instance). Excessive oil loss (which was exactly the reason I got the engine rebuilt in the first place) only just abruptly started recently, whereas it gradually got worse leading up to the initial rebuild.

One way or the other, I suspect one or more pistons, cylinders, and/or wrist pins are shot. Unless the thread makes a strong recommendation to the contrary, like I said, my plan is to get a warrantied longblock. I'm not sure what I want to do with the current bad engine, but an open to suggestions. Before pulling it, my plan was to have a compression test and leakdown test performed, as I trust this will confirm one or more cylinders are hosed.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #45
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakall View Post
You're right... the engine rebuild seems to have been half-assed, and subsequent mechanics showed me evidence of this (the transmission wasn't bolted to the engine correctly, for instance). Excessive oil loss (which was exactly the reason I got the engine rebuilt in the first place) only just abruptly started recently, whereas it gradually got worse leading up to the initial rebuild.

One way or the other, I suspect one or more pistons, cylinders, and/or wrist pins are shot. Unless the thread makes a strong recommendation to the contrary, like I said, my plan is to get a warrantied longblock. I'm not sure what I want to do with the current bad engine, but an open to suggestions. Before pulling it, my plan was to have a compression test and leakdown test performed, as I trust this will confirm one or more cylinders are hosed.
Once emptied, the current engine will make a very nice anchor for your mechanic's yacht.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #46
jdstrickland

Compression and leak down tests may not expose oblong cylinders. The rings can easily fill the oblong sides of the cylinders, but the pistons can still slap and bang around.

I hate to diss Turner, but it seems that the used motor was a bad thing to buy.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
Jakall

Misshapen cylinders seems probable, though I'm not convinced it's the cause of the tapping. We disabled the cylinders one by one, and I listened to it myself... there was no change in the tapping. Given, we didn't drive the car like that, but the tap is still clearly audible (though soft) at idle.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
thekrauthouse

My Ride: 2000 740, 2002 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Once emptied, the current engine will make a very nice anchor for your mechanic's yacht.
No yachts for this mechanic, wife nor I like water that much. Maybe a nice table though.

Did a compression test on it today, wet and dry. Here are the numbers

Dry
Cyl1 #180
Cyl2 #175
Cyl3 #200
Cyl4 #200
Cyl5 #170
Cyl6 #205

Wet
Cyl1 #200
Cyl2 #215
Cyl3 #225
Cyl4 #230
Cyl5 #210
Cyl6 #235

I will be doing a leak down test tomorrow, just didn't have time today from working on another e46.
thekrauthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46 tapping, engine noise, tapping, ticking