E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
MrPedals

My Ride: E46 M3, Mystic Blau
Please help: Engine "thunk, clunk, knock"

Posted over at M3forum.net as well to only get complete silence. Perhaps someone here has some insight:

I had a SES light with Codes P0175 P0128 P0175, cleared the codes and 100 miles later got P0172 again.

P0175 and P0172 are "Bank 2 rich, Bank 1 rich" indicating not enough oxygen in the exhaust.
P0128 is Thermostat temperature too low or something.

Engine is making a very concerning noise at idle:
Engine Noise - Sounds like someone dropped a penny in there!

Sound happens right away in the beginning and again at 7 secs.
On particularly lound thunks the engine idle will drop.

I received the P0128 code weeks before and I took it to a competent mechanic. Unfortunately he wasn't able to hear the sound (as it is very sporadic) and so could not diagnose the problem properly. We replaced the Thermostat and water pump as the sound was coming from the area the water pump sits. After we pulled it the pump had a notchy spot so we guessed that was the problem.

2006 6MT
Car has 94,000 Miles. Oil always changed at about 7500 miles. Daily driven.
MrPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Sounds are difficult to isolate and interpret, which might explain the silence on the boards. To my ears your noise sounds like valve-train clatter, and issues with the proper timing and duration of valves opening and closing might explain the codes resulting from an overly rich mixture. The problem is that valve-train noises are either always present once they crop up, or are present either when the oil hasn't yet circulated fully and/or when it has gotten hot enough to reach minimal viscosity. The VANOS system is mechanical and hydraulic, and intermittent problems are more likely to be electrical than hydromechanical. If the noise is in fact coming from the valvetrain, however, I would have the VANOS system checked for hydraulic leaks.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
MrPedals

Thanks for the input. Sound is much more consistent now than it was a few weeks ago. Personally I'm thinking VANOS issues as well. I'm taking it to a different shop tomorrow and I'll report what they find. Undoubtably this will be expensive.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
MemphisM3

My Ride: 02 PY M3
when was the last time you replaced your coils?

Der Teufel steckt im Detail.
MemphisM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
MrPedals

They are original as far as I know.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
If any of the coils was misfiring, the engine would go into "limp home" mode, rather than simply make odd noises.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
MrPedals

Agreed. Based on an S54 instructional video I found on youtube I doubt this is a misfire that involves a bad coil. That condition seems to be way too consistent and throws different codes. I'm having a shop perform a valve adjustment and inspection of the valvetrain that is accesible during that process. I will see what they say next week.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
MemphisM3

let us know,- its very easy to test coils, check youtube video, here: i wont explain:

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
MrPedals

MemphisM3, that was the video I was talking about. It's definitely not like that at all.

So if you turn up your speakers for my video, you can hear the clunk at the following times: 1 thunk @ 2secs, two quick light ones @ 4secs, 1 thunk @ 5.5secs, loud one @ 6.8-7 secs, then nothing until a light one @ around 16.5 secs.

All the sounds you hear are coming from the engine. The normal valvetrain rattle-hussle and bustle is quite consistent (and I'm told sounds better than most S54's). ANYTHING ELSE is the thunk.

Last edited by MrPedals; 04-19-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
MemphisM3

ok. maybe fuel pump. or issue's with fuel.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
MrPedals

Got the car back after valve adjustment, "Your car has no problems except 4 valves were out of adjustment." They didn't pull the whole VANOS off but they did inspect the exhaust hub, apparently absolutely nothing is wrong with the car.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
MemphisM3

yeah we have to do valve adjustments , every what? 35,000 miles ?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
MrPedals

I should add that I am in no way confident that the issue has been resolved. I do think however that the codes the car threw had almost nothing to do with the engine knocking sound. I was told to wait until the problem becomes worse and more consistent before I try to troubleshoot it again.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
jdamore44

My Ride: 2003 M3
I think I have similiar sound going on in my engine. Did you ever get it resolved or diagnosed?
jdamore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
MrPedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore44 View Post
I think I have similiar sound going on in my engine. Did you ever get it resolved or diagnosed?
Nope, still does it almost every time I start it in the morning. It goes away after I start driving. Seems most consistent on startup idle, but after I rev the engine a bit it will subside.

Most of the time it will do it when it is colder outside (below 60 degrees F) but sometimes it will do it when the engine is hot and air temp is pretty warm(like startup idle after stopping to get gas.)
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
jdamore44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPedals View Post
Nope, still does it almost every time I start it in the morning. It goes away after I start driving. Seems most consistent on startup idle, but after I rev the engine a bit it will subside.

Most of the time it will do it when it is colder outside (below 60 degrees F) but sometimes it will do it when the engine is hot and air temp is pretty warm(like startup idle after stopping to get gas.)
Damn, I have an inkling that it's the Vanos, perhaps a exhaust hub tab. :/ I'm going to get a recording this weekend.. and hopefully sometime soon thereafter get my valve cover off and inspect.. not too happy about this.. only had the car since May and it's already givin me hell.. My dream car is turning into a nightmare quickly
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
jdamore44

Someone @ the m3forum said it could possibly be the upper chain guide .. have you checked into that at all?