E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
urban customs

My Ride: E46 M3
are rear strut bars worth it for the e46?

ive looked online for rear strut bars and have found nothing. only those on ebay. is any rear strut bar worth it for the car?

thanks
urban customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
scmgoblue

My Ride: 2003 TiAg M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban customs View Post
ive looked online for rear strut bars and have found nothing. only those on ebay. is any rear strut bar worth it for the car?

thanks
racing dynamics
scmgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
02SilverM3

My Ride: 02 m3 and 05 x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban customs View Post

thanks

Dinan, I have it but do not know if it is worth it. I does handle well. Then I have other stuff also.
02SilverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
purely for looks... at least thats my take on it

edit: it also takes up trunk room

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
spta97
You can't fix stupid

My Ride: 2005 M3 iBlue ZCP
Back in my Maxima days everyone said they are mostly for looks. The front bars make a huge difference, but the rears...not so much.

Upgraded rear anti-sway bars may be something to look at though.
spta97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
if you pair the rear strut bar with

sway bars and coilovers your car will feel like it is on rails when you make fast turns.... trust me i have all of those suspection mod's and my ride feels like that.....

but a rear strut bar is only good if you make fast turns... driving regular it won't make a difference it will be for show under 50 mph turns
bobm3
Old 10-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
rocker12343

Basically the rear seat is a huge 50lb strut bar right now, it's pretty heavy for a seat. Putting on another one is essentially adding weight. Now if you were to take the back seat out and replace it with a CF plate, then a strut bar would def be a good idea.
rocker12343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
UKtRAINE3

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via AIM to UKtRAINE3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker12343 View Post
Basically the rear seat is a huge 50lb strut bar right now, it's pretty heavy for a seat. Putting on another one is essentially adding weight. Now if you were to take the back seat out and replace it with a CF plate, then a strut bar would def be a good idea.
I don't get it... Explain to me how the rear seat acts anything like a strut bar... Do you know how a strut bar is mounted?
UKtRAINE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
urban customs

well ive looked around for strut bars and all i find are those ebay 30 dollar rear strut bars. my old car had front and rear strut bars that were $500 and honestly since ive been through both name brand and ebay i dont think there is a difference. both are metal and stay solid. its not like the cheaper one will bend. i think i will buy that ebay one and see if its useful.

im also going to go ahead and order the pss9's, unless anyone has any other reccomendation for coilovers.
urban customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
thetastelingers

My Ride: E46M3, Mini
IMO a strut bar only helps on hatchbacks.
Coupes have lots of steel to keep it from flexing.
Hatchbacks don't have the necessary steel due to the hatch.
Unless you are SCCA racing or something like that.
save your money.
thetastelingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
02SilverM3

My Ride: 02 m3 and 05 x3
One thing for shure.....it won't hurt you
02SilverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
kreamo225

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtRAINE3 View Post
I don't get it... Explain to me how the rear seat acts anything like a strut bar... Do you know how a strut bar is mounted?
The rear seat definitely acts as a stress member for the chassis if you have fold down rear seats. The locking mechanism/latch thingy that connects the seat and releases it so it can fold down (I don't know what the part is actually called) has gotten a little loose in my car, now every time I turn or hit a bump it creaks like crazy, it's so annoying. I have to tighten it up soon before I go crazy. But yeah it's definitely a stress member of the chassis.

If you have the folding rear seats it should make a noticeable difference and should probably improve ride quality as well. I'd probably go with sway bars first then a rear strut bar. If you do that it'll be hard/impossible to find another car that handles better.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
braaang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreamo225 View Post
The rear seat definitely acts as a stress member for the chassis if you have fold down rear seats. The locking mechanism/latch thingy that connects the seat and releases it so it can fold down (I don't know what the part is actually called) has gotten a little loose in my car, now every time I turn or hit a bump it creaks like crazy, it's so annoying. I have to tighten it up soon before I go crazy. But yeah it's definitely a stress member of the chassis.

If you have the folding rear seats it should make a noticeable difference and should probably improve ride quality as well. I'd probably go with sway bars first then a rear strut bar. If you do that it'll be hard/impossible to find another car that handles better.
sorry. by no means is the seat a structural component of the car. it is not a stress member.
in your case, it simply wobbles around. its not that your structural integrity is compromised.
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
anti-sway bars > strut bars

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
So glad this conversation could continue 7 years after it was started.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
cold m3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
I just bought this one 140$ shipped. lets see if i feel a difference on off ramps

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...id=240&pid=665

Photos of My ///M3
cold m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Drexellake

My Ride: 05 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
So glad this conversation could continue 7 years after it was started.
Well at least we learned they do in fact work since then. Doh!
Drexellake is offline   Reply With Quote