E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
sethlaidlawm3

My Ride: 528I
m3 performance upgrades

hello guys I'm new to this forum , im going to be buying a e46 m3 very soon and it really bothers me that those 335I beat them in a strait shot ,I know that's about all they beat them in but I want to know how can make the m3 faster without s/c or turbo? And what's the best year to buy of a m3 e46? it's going to be a manual btw 6 speed manual all the way!!!!
sethlaidlawm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
loool. as long as the 335i hasn't been flashed or have any bolt ons you're in with a chance.
the return on investment for these motors seems horrible, so do the following:
1. change diff ratio
2. grippy rear tyres (335i's are single peggers only - get em off the launch)
3. learn how to launch + shift.
4. change the exhaust manifold.
..or a more sensible solution may be not to race them in the first place.
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
shell_guy

My Ride: 2002 M3
Headers, full exhaust, and a good tune is good for 30hp (290-300 whp). but none of it matters if you can't drive, or your tires can't get traction. learn to launch the car and buy tires that stick first thing.
shell_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Why even care? The M3 is almost ten years old. Of course it will be beat by much newer cars. I can think of plenty of cars that can beat the M3 in a straight line. If you're concerned about being beaten by the latest model car out, your best option is to lease so you'll always be happy. Few beat the M in terms of driving experience though. Buy the car and be happy for what it is, the ultimate driving machine.

Last edited by tinman831; 04-25-2013 at 09:01 AM.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
ZZROCOOL

My Ride: 06 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethlaidlawm3 View Post
hello guys I'm new to this forum , im going to be buying a e46 m3 very soon and it really bothers me that those 335I beat them in a strait shot ,I know that's about all they beat them in but I want to know how can make the m3 faster without s/c or turbo? And what's the best year to buy of a m3 e46? it's going to be a manual btw 6 speed manual all the way!!!!
Buy a 335 coupe and call it a day
ZZROCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Improve the driver.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
**** all the bullshit, if you need headers pm sent...

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
those 335I beat them in a strait shot
The 335i might get an initial jump because the extra torque but the M3 should pull ahead slightly at high up especially once both cars get above about 70mph. The 335i engine is optimized more for low end torque whereas the M3 is more about above 5K rpm.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Lets keep this on topic. Post stripped.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
hello guys I'm new to this forum , im going to be buying a e46 m3 very soon and it really bothers me that those 335I beat them in a strait shot
Why would this bother you??? The E46 ///M is an awesome car no matter how fast other cars are. Whenever I take my ///M out, I get the WRX, Mustang, Audi guys trying to go race car while driving. What's even more amusing are the Civic "R" and Sentra "R" crowd who think their cars are just as good as my E46 ///M. Sometimes it's fun but on the most part, I don't bite...so what if there are faster cars out there? I wouldn't allow any cars, even the 335i, to "bother" you.... if you get an E46 ///M just enjoy the car for what it is....the ultimate driving machine!

Quote:
...but I want to know how can I make the m3 faster without s/c or turbo? And what's the best year to buy of a m3 e46? it's going to be a manual btw 6 speed manual all the way!!!!
Keeping the ///M normally aspirated will mean that you change out the air box (get a CSL air box), schrick performance CAMS, Supersprint headers (or other performance headers), as well as a full performance exhaust. Keep in mind, you will spend lots of money and won't get tons of hp in the process... going FI will net you more hp in the long run imho... that is if that's what your goal is....to be fast. In the end, just be smart and safe about it
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
Lawwd1

My Ride: E46 M3
m3 performance upgrades

I agree, enjoy the car for what it is. In five years the 335i will barely be relevant. The E46 M3 will always represent a pedigree of BMW racing history. Any guy in the world, that appreciates cars, that pulls up next to you in it will respect it for what it is. If you do too much of anything to the car you'll loose the essence of what makes it such a fine car. Besides... mark my words, there eventually will be electric cars that look like a Nissan Juke that can smoke anyone.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Lawwd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
SexiPYm3

My Ride: 03 M3
Enjoy your car for what it is. There will always be a faster car out there regardless. No big deal. An M is a unique car with its own characteristics. Its more than just a straight line performing 3 series. And besides, I've been to the track countless times and I have yet to see a stock 335 that is faster than me. So I don't know where this 335 being faster comment comes from.
SexiPYm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m3 performance upgrades