E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW//Blonde View Post
This whole thing sounds silly to me. I would have paid the damn fine and then on principle sent a nice accompanying letter from my lawyer uncle of Brighton alerting the issuing officers superior to the fact that he may need some extra training in this field or an eye test.
I was under the influence once you pay the fine you are confirming acceptance and your door to argue the matter is then closed?

I have been to court (Victorian) a couple of times to dispute traffic infringements. When there were two officers involved the other would stand outside whilst the other is giving their evidence. See if you can lead each one to give different answers when asking about a/b/c to paint a picture to the judge that perhaps they didn't see what initially thought.

Regarding you postponing the case, each initial time I went all I had to do was reconfirm I was disputing the case / not guilty - then my case was heard 6-8 weeks later. At this time, I was offered free legal advice which to be honest was pretty poor. Otherwise as a backup, do you have a reference number from your telco regarding your request for call records, as its a no brainier this is major evidence.

Last edited by Nath; 04-28-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #22
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
I was under the influence once you pay the fine you are confirming acceptance and your door to argue the matter is then closed?
This
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Nae323

My Ride: '99 323Ci 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisM3 View Post
Pay for me to get there and I'll do it pro bono (without fee).
Seriously?
If I can get the date moved, I may take you up on that. Plane fees and a bed for the night if needed is still worth it to save me the stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post

I have been to court (Victorian) a couple of times to dispute traffic infringements. When there were two officers involved the other would stand outside whilst the other is giving their evidence. See if you can lead each one to give different answers when asking about a/b/c to paint a picture to the judge that perhaps they didn't see what initially thought.

Regarding you postponing the case, each initial time I went all I had to do was reconfirm I was disputing the case / not guilty - then my case was heard 6-8 weeks later. At this time, I was offered free legal advice which to be honest was pretty poor. Otherwise as a backup, do you have a reference number from your telco regarding your request for call records, as its a no brainier this is major evidence.
Thank you.
I didn't know they would be in the room at different times.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Getting Tim down for the day is the awesomest solution!

Also... did the officer that fined you check your phone for calls made or received at the time of the alleged infringement?

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #25
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Getting Tim down for the day is the awesomest solution!

Also... did the officer that fined you check your phone for calls made or received at the time of the alleged infringement?
Thats not the point though..

Making/receiving a phone while driving is not the offence.. the mere possession while in control of the vehicle is enough to warrant the fine

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 04-29-2013 at 10:20 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 E30 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Thats not the point though..

Making/receiving a phone while driving is not the offence.. the mere possession while in control of the vehicle is enough to warrant the fine
I understand what you are trying to say - but it's not mere possession that completes the offence, because possession would extend to mean anywhere in the driving compartment or the vehicle at all. You are in possession of a phone even if it is in the boot. But what you are getting at is right - you do not need to be on a phone call to be committing an offence. EG. checking emails, sending texts, changing songs etc (not an exhaustive list obviously) all offend the legislation.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
Nae323

My Ride: '99 323Ci 5sp
I'm pretty sure he said he saw me holding my phone to my ear. Meaning on a phone call, no?
Call records can be deleted from mobiles, I don't think it would matter if he looked at it or not.

Got the hearing date moved, hurray for me.
Have a mention on Thursday morning to find out what date it's being moved to.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #28
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisM3 View Post
I understand what you are trying to say - but it's not mere possession that completes the offence, because possession would extend to mean anywhere in the driving compartment or the vehicle at all. You are in possession of a phone even if it is in the boot. But what you are getting at is right - you do not need to be on a phone call to be committing an offence. EG. checking emails, sending texts, changing songs etc (not an exhaustive list obviously) all offend the legislation.
Yes
I'm basically saying you don't have to be using your phone at all.

Laws might be different in QLD ..
By possession I mean on the person .
I can't remember the exact wording .. I'll see if I can find it in the road safety act. Or ruling ..

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #29
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 E30 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Yes
I'm basically saying you don't have to be using your phone at all.

Laws might be different in QLD ..
By possession I mean on the person .
I can't remember the exact wording .. I'll see if I can find it in the road safety act. Or ruling ..
It won't be that either. In your pockets is "on the person". It is not an offence to have a mobile phone in your pocket while driving.

In Qld the provision makes it an offence to, while driving, inter alia, turn the phone on or off, "operate any other function of the phone", and hold the phone to or near the ear whether or not engaged in a phone call.