E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
chubakakid

My Ride: Hopeful ///M owner
Question Went to check out a car today..

Hey everyone! So I've been going shopping and stumbled upon a car that in pictures and my head fit all of my dreams and expectations..

Anywho, here's what I was checking out in the NYC area today.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

The price seemed right, and it had all of the features I was looking for (leather seats, aluminum trim, 5 speed transmission, less than 110K miles) so I made the trip to check this thing out. I went in with my friends who were a lot more experienced with Cars / Manual transmissions than I to help provide me with some guidance so I don't make an irrational decision.

Upon unlocking the door, the car had a strange odor emanating from it (the interior, smelled as though car fluids that have seeped into the upholstery and fabrics)

Both driver and passenger seats were very torn and headliner seemed to be falling off. Interior was filthy. Crumbs, dirt everywhere.. The dealer didn't even bother vacuuming it. (The previous owner's notes and dunkin donuts trash was scattered around (in the glove, vanity mirrors ETC..)

We proceeded to pop the hood to see if anything looked funky, things checked out. After that, we asked the dealer for a test drive, which he immediately asked 500$ as a down payment before letting me use the car. (My friends said to avoid that entirely) although I was willing to do it to get a feel for the car.

The dealer said that it would need a Valve cover gasket (50$) and a new clutch.

Here are some issues listed before even getting a PPI.

1) Worn clutch, slippage at certain RPMS.
2) Valve cover gasket replacement
3) re-upholstering & replacing fabrics & dilapidated headliners (A-C Pillars sagging, falling out)

My question to everyone is: Should I make an offer for this car considering some of the info I provided? If so, what kind of offer should I make? His asking price: 8,000.. My budget, (under 9,000)

Both of my more experienced friends said to STAY DA away but I'm curious to know if this should be my experience every time w/ a 12 year old E46 in this price range..

Weird thing, I saw a VERY similar car I was going to check out sell for 5900 about 15 minutes before I arrived at the dealership. I was mainly bummed at the fact I couldn't even go for a test drive.

(Also, should I always expect these issues considering my price range?)

Thanks for reading guys~

Last edited by chubakakid; 04-30-2013 at 12:46 AM.
chubakakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Based on your price range I would stay away cause these cars require constant maintenance...if you have $2000 in your bank just for " in case if something breaks down on the car " thn go for it
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Turntables83

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Went to check out a car today..

You have great friends and you should listen to them. Keep searching.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Turntables83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
if you have hesitation, then don't do it.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Thank your friends and keep looking.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
norcalmike

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
run!
norcalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
norcalmike

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
run away!!
norcalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Hey, you're from NYC. What kind of smarts did you learn here??

Skeeve won't let you test drive. Yikes!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
my cousin got his 2002 330ci for 9k, and it had 60k miles.

Last edited by eneka; 04-30-2013 at 01:29 AM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Went to check out a car today..

You handed someone $500 to test drive a car?
......bro.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Damn Bro, if the dealer ask you to pay a $500 collateral fee, dont walk but run far away from that of a dealership

Last edited by BBBoy323i; 04-30-2013 at 04:24 AM.
BBBoy323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
tommy d

My Ride: 2005 330i
For that price range you can get much better, like others have said, get your $500 back and look for another. At the very minimum, research some articles online on the correct way to look for and buy a used car. You know what you want, and get a PPI if you like it.
1998 Ford Taurus SE - 108K miles
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 - 233K miles

Last edited by tommy d; 04-30-2013 at 05:44 AM.
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
From your description of the condition of the interior and "fluid smells", I feel pretty comfortable in saying the previous owner treated the car like a freaking rental. My car is an '01 with 108K and the seats aren't ripped or torn - and neither were the seats of the other cars I looked at with that mileage.

Unless they are trying to sell you a $300K Aston Martin - and even then, I am not sure they would ask for a test drive deposit, any dealer who does this I immediately distrust.

You can find better cars for the price and much better people from whom to buy them.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
After looking at the online ad, I would think of that dealer and car as an example of what to avoid. Any respectable seller would clean the car up, repair any defects within reason and be prepared for a test drive. Keep looking.
tcphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Top quality and can't vacum it? I'd sack the sells guys if they can't even be arsed to vacum it.
David McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
seigi009

My Ride: 03 325i
Dealer sounds like a stand-up guy. Nothing shady there, $500 is nothing. Buy it as is. Drive it for 100 miles. And then wish you had listened to your friends when you are on the side of the road with a broken car. Sometimes it's good to learn lessons the hard way.

lol

Last edited by seigi009; 04-30-2013 at 08:05 AM.
seigi009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubakakid View Post
Hey everyone! So I've been going shopping and stumbled upon a car that in pictures and my head fit all of my dreams and expectations..

Anywho, here's what I was checking out in the NYC area today.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

The price seemed right, and it had all of the features I was looking for (leather seats, aluminum trim, 5 speed transmission, less than 110K miles) so I made the trip to check this thing out. I went in with my friends who were a lot more experienced with Cars / Manual transmissions than I to help provide me with some guidance so I don't make an irrational decision.

Upon unlocking the door, the car had a strange odor emanating from it (the interior, smelled as though car fluids that have seeped into the upholstery and fabrics)

Both driver and passenger seats were very torn and headliner seemed to be falling off. Interior was filthy. Crumbs, dirt everywhere.. The dealer didn't even bother vacuuming it. (The previous owner's notes and dunkin donuts trash was scattered around (in the glove, vanity mirrors ETC..)

We proceeded to pop the hood to see if anything looked funky, things checked out. After that, we asked the dealer for a test drive, which he immediately asked 500$ as a down payment before letting me use the car. (My friends said to avoid that entirely) although I was willing to do it to get a feel for the car.

The dealer said that it would need a Valve cover gasket (50$) and a new clutch.

Here are some issues listed before even getting a PPI.

1) Worn clutch, slippage at certain RPMS.
2) Valve cover gasket replacement
3) re-upholstering & replacing fabrics & dilapidated headliners (A-C Pillars sagging, falling out)

My question to everyone is: Should I make an offer for this car considering some of the info I provided? If so, what kind of offer should I make? His asking price: 8,000.. My budget, (under 9,000)

Both of my more experienced friends said to STAY DA away but I'm curious to know if this should be my experience every time w/ a 12 year old E46 in this price range..

Weird thing, I saw a VERY similar car I was going to check out sell for 5900 about 15 minutes before I arrived at the dealership. I was mainly bummed at the fact I couldn't even go for a test drive.

(Also, should I always expect these issues considering my price range?)

Thanks for reading guys~
Walk away man. Listen to your friend. You need to look at many cars before you find the right one. Don't get emotional about the purchase. I wouldn't have even asked for a test drive given your initial impressions. Also, no reputable dealer asks for $500 to test drive their cars. Hell, you can go to a BMW dealer and drive cars all day for free.

You can thank the dealer for one thing only. That is not cleaning the car. Obviously, the previous owner didn't care for it given the interior condition. I found a AW '01 330Ci for <$10k (55k miles), but the interior was ****. I had to pass on it. I knew that meant lots of other things were neglected if the interior was **** in 55k miles.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
chubakakid

My Ride: Hopeful ///M owner
Appreciate all the advice guys, very helpful. It's a shame such a beautiful car was let go, I would have happily paid the 8 for something in good condish.

I'm certain he just thought we were lousy teenagers just looking for a test drive and wanted a deposit before letting us go with the keys.. that's really not a proper method to conduct business.

I'll keep an eye out for other cars in this style / configuration and keep my chin up
chubakakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
Why would you bring your friends for advice and then ignore them? Torn seat on the edge is just from getting in and out and catching the edge with your ass. The garbage all over the car tells me he doesn't give a crap about the car. Can't be bothered to take out the garbage? You think he can be bothered to change the oil?
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapsys View Post
Why would you bring your friends for advice and then ignore them? Torn seat on the edge is just from getting in and out and catching the edge with your ass. The garbage all over the car tells me he doesn't give a crap about the car. Can't be bothered to take out the garbage? You think he can be bothered to change the oil?
I remember going to see a car once and the owner had not even bothered to check the oil *level* never mind change it!

I drove it once around the block and handed him the keys back, then I knew the handling of the cars in general was poor anyway.
David McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote