E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
cpepe831

My Ride: '02 330i
I drive an AUTOMATIC, woe is me, new to mods

Hello everyone!

Here's what's up, i have an '02 330i 4dr automatic (sport package) with 95k miles on it (I bought it when it had 60k). I don't have the funds to upgrade to an M3, but have considered selling and buying a manual. However since I know my car is in great shape now and am aware of the past problems, I'm hesitant to switch for a different car that i know relatively nothing about.

So I've come to the conclusion that i should keep my car, but i want it to be faster of course... I'm new to modifications and am not technically inclined, I prefer to have professionals work on my car rather than screw it up myself.

I'm looking to make my car a little faster and possibly sound a little better.

So far in posts I've read here and people I've talked to say that headers will accomplish both tasks, the ebay headers fit on the automatics right? (like i said, i'm new to this)

I've heard people say performance software helps a little, so does anyone know of a good software upgrade for the automatic?

I went ahead and installed a K&N drop in filter, because most people seem to agree that a new intake is not necessary, nor is an exhaust for that matter.

Any advice on increasing performance on the 330i automatic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Christian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7248.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	503129  
cpepe831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
sheesh! 330i auto not fast enough for you? perhaps a trade on something with a stonking big 7.0LT blown V8 under the hood could be the answer

Last edited by asdetail; 04-30-2013 at 06:01 AM.
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
tech9018

My Ride: BMW
Proper maintenance and Headers. Beyond that buy an M3. JMO

Getting everything running properly is the biggest upgrade you can do. Plugs, VANOS, vacuum, CCV, Fuel filter/pump... etc Any serious performance via FI will cost you $$$, and at that point M3 is the way to go. Headers free up a little, maybe a tune. Bring the suspension back into spec. Enjoy your car for what it is, a well balanced sport sedan. Not a race car. And never mind the nay sayers... Your automatic is just fine, just do its maintenance and expect to replace it at some point in your cars life; then do the manual swap if you want.

My Ride:
2001~2979cc~4 Doors~ZSP~Sunroof Delete~No Folding Rear Seats~Schwarz

Mods:
Enkei~Dinan~Powerflex~Bilstein~Eibach~RCR
...And a whole lot of maintenance

Last edited by tech9018; 04-30-2013 at 08:45 AM.
tech9018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
GotVANOS?

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
VANOS seal, ebay headers, ZHP cams or S52/S50 intake cam, X3 rear differential, shark injector ,pulleys+ suspension mods.

Shes not your average grocery getter. This 2.5L of fury doesnt mess around.

E21<E30>E36>E46>E90>F30

Quote:
5TFUUU, If one more person tells me to sell my car and buy an ///M Im going to light their family on fire and make them watch.
*****BUY MY 330XI AUTO TRANS AND PARTS. CHEAP!!!******

Last edited by GotVANOS?; 04-30-2013 at 07:05 PM.
GotVANOS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Just get a spring booster and retrofit an SMG steering wheel to your steptronic transmission (so you can use paddle shifters) and enjoy driving the car Cheap and makes car way more fun to drive!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
A 330i is not fast enough? Bro I drive an auto 323i, tell me about performance lol
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpepe831 View Post
I'm new to modifications and am not technically inclined, I prefer to have professionals work on my car rather than screw it up myself.
You're missing a great (if not the greatest) part of the E46 experience: learning by screwing it up yourself.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
cpepe831

thanks everyone for the responses, at one point i tried to buy a shark injector, but the online retailer called me and told me that it wasn't compatible with my car since it's an auto, anyone ever hear of this? Does a software upgrade exist for the automatic?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Stop thinking like this...read a lot more fanatics...a lot more. I think you'll learn it's not worth it, not when balancing the risks against the maximum possible gain.

Restore your car to factory as you work on it. When it 'is' factory, then you can mess it up all you want...not that you can't mess it up now, if you want, just that I don't think you should.

hth

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
yeah. if you need more speed, save for an m3 swap or an m3 itself. from there you can build on top of that. otherwise, leave all the loud noises and the 100hp+ intake bolt ons to the Hondas. You also live in CA like me (although I have my way with smog check) you should reconsider headers. sure you may not be putting them on yourself, which you should be thankful for, but you're going to need to pay someone to do it every 2 years. get a euro tune. if you're close enough to me, hit me up. best mod you'll ever spend money on.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpepe831 View Post
thanks everyone for the responses, at one point i tried to buy a shark injector, but the online retailer called me and told me that it wasn't compatible with my car since it's an auto, anyone ever hear of this? Does a software upgrade exist for the automatic?
Who is the retailer? I'm pretty sure they're wrong. The shark injector should work with an auto, I am looking into the active dme tune and I never heard of it not working on an auto. Pretty sure tunes just optimize the engine, and at the base of everything I believe the engines itself are the same whether manual or auto.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
cpepe831

this might shed some light, this from TurnerMotorSport:

"Hello Christian,

Unfortunately the shark injector does not work with a E46 330 that has an Automatic transmission. There have been problems in the past where the DME gets completely erased. Because of this we no longer sell it for the automatic for liability reasons.

You have not been charged and I am going to cancel the order."

I know Dinan makes an automatic transmission performance software, anyone know any details on that one?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

Why not look into active autowerke?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #14
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I am amazed at posts like this that ask about improving performance. You got a automatic---that says it. And lets be real, how much are you going to improve performance, how many tenths of a second??
Just like one of my neighbors who went out and paid a few hundred dollars to increase performance by how much---less than a second, perhaps much less. I call this head games, it is all in your head that you
have a more powerful car now that you increased performance when it is the same car, same everything, and on paper--the specs show that performance is better by quarter of a second (or whatever). If you feel better go for it, but the reality is that your car is what it is. Be happy with the 330, it is a good car. For me, I would not have BMW make anything but manuals--that is what a BMW should be.
PS-if you want to appreciate performance without spending a nickel, go out and drive something like the standard ford or chevy, then drive the BMW and note the performance.
jayb328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Don't mod an automatic car. You already wasted money on an automatic. Don't double down on a bad decision.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Stop thinking like this...read a lot more fanatics...a lot more. I think you'll learn it's not worth it, not when balancing the risks against the maximum possible gain.

Restore your car to factory as you work on it. When it 'is' factory, then you can mess it up all you want...not that you can't mess it up now, if you want, just that I don't think you should.

hth
That about sums up the correct answer for OP.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
NumbaOneNewb

Lol. Anyways the autos arent that much slower. Owning a manual has always been considered in a stereotypical way the only way when you talk about speed. If you guys havent noticed, bmws new auto, the one with like 11 gears would dust a manual version by several seconds. Yeah, whole seconds. That means the next time you pull up next to gramps and he laughs while you rev your engine, get ready to be embarrassed.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 05-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Lol. Anyways the autos arent that much slower. Owning a manual has always been considered in a stereotypical way the only way when you talk about speed. If you guys havent noticed, bmws new auto, the one with like 11 gears would dust a manual version by several seconds. Yeah, whole seconds
Not sure what specific car model you are talking about but I doubt several seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Also, the "new" autos also are nowhere near the same autos we (or you, I assume) have in your car. Worlds, galaxies different. E46s autos are old-fashioned traditional high-loss slushboxes. Can't compare.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
NumbaOneNewb

The autos I'm talking about are the ones without a 3rd pedal. Unless the guys who have manuals consider the smg as a manual too?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
JetBlackCI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Contact Tuner Motorsports for your Shark they should sell you one. Just installed one on my car its a manual but there are instructions on how to install it in an automatic car.

Basically you are required to electronically disconnect your transmission from the computer prior to installation. The instruction are VERY specific about the procedures and frankly scare the hell outa ya with the fact that if you don't follow them Exactly you my fry the computer

As far as upgrades I agree with the others refreshing it to new condition is your best bang for the buck.

A gear or differential change to 3.64 would help with the fun factor too
JetBlackCI is offline   Reply With Quote