E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
REDBIRDE46

My Ride: '01 325I
Steering angle bad - will it hurt car?

Diagnosed a bad LEW Steering Angle Sensor. DSC and Brake lights are yellow.

Can I drive like this forever or will something else eventually fail?

Had a mechanic say it could mess w/ABS module and cause car to go into limp mode and ruin tranny.

Isn't it the exact same function as pressing the DSC for 3-seconds and completely disabling them both like for a track day?
REDBIRDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBIRDE46 View Post
Diagnosed a bad LEW Steering Angle Sensor. DSC and Brake lights are yellow.

Can I drive like this forever or will something else eventually fail?

Had a mechanic say it could mess w/ABS module and cause car to go into limp mode and ruin tranny.

Isn't it the exact same function as pressing the DSC for 3-seconds and completely disabling them both like for a track day?
AFAIK you'd be correct. Other than your stability control being disabled, I can't see that this would cause any mechanical harm to your car. Get that sensor fixed. BTW any recent tire installs or damage to suspension? Does it drive straight?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
REDBIRDE46

Just bought the car w/112K miles and about 200 miles later it thru the lights.

Scanned the internet and would change myself or just pay the $488 for a new one @ AZBIMMERWERKS but that's a bit of $$ after just buying it.

I like to drive the old fashion way and rather have the choice of pulling the e-brake and drift or be able to skid if I wanted and not have the car say "no no".

Just don't want to hurt the tranny or confuse the computers.

No alignment that I know, but we did do a calibration and it has no digital values for the steering wheel turning right or left...probably brushes inside sensor are gone.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

Scanned the internet and would change myself or just pay the $488 for a new one @ AZBIMMERWERKS but that's a bit of $$ after just buying it.

I like to drive the old fashion way and rather have the choice of pulling the e-brake and drift or be able to skid if I wanted and not have the car say "no no".

No alignment that I know, but we did do a calibration and it has no digital values for the steering wheel turning right or left...probably brushes inside sensor are gone.
p/o probably had the code cleared. I highly suggest replacing the sensor (if its indeed the culprit) it can save your life one day. no human being can fully duplicate the effectiveness of DSC. It's infinitely faster and more precise than you can ever be. Of course, no system can defy the laws of physics and always wear your safety belt.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Search for a used one, since they rarely go bad. I have a spare that I bought for $40 (BNIB) from someone who sold or totaled their e46, but there is no way I am selling it, considering the price of a new one. I love the Classifieds section! I also love buying expensive parts I may never need, but I like to have on hand, when I can get them dirt cheap.

BTW - a bad steering sensor should not cause your transmission to go into limp mode. It will affect your traction control, but even your ABS brakes should still function correctly. It just won't intervene properly to get you out of a serious loss of traction, like taking a curve too fast on wet pavement.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 04-25-2013 at 03:41 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
REDBIRDE46

Thanks for the feedback.

In Phoenix, Arizona rain doesn't exist and there is no snow. Thats why an "xi" is not a wise choice.

I will test the ABS next time I see water on the road somewhere.

Hopefully you or another member is a mechanic and this or their opinion confirms my hopes.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:

Funny. Don't know what applications a drift could ever have in any sort of avoidance or control maneuver. The DSC will react faster than you can. If you are trying to take turns fast and what not, it'll slow you down, but in terms of keeping the car under control in a road driving situation, it's better than you are.

BTW your mechanic is full of ****. The steering angle has nothing to do with ABS. Your DSC will not work though. The ABS is still functional. If in doubt, try it out.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
REDBIRDE46

Thanks.

Also hoping someone who is a mechanic out there please confirm it is not bad to the car.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
WDE46

Quote:
Thanks.

Also hoping someone who is a mechanic out there please confirm it is not bad to the car.
The car has disabled the dsc features. It's not actively doing anything and it won't hurt itself. Your mechanic is just trying to get you to do the repair.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
REDBIRDE46

Last question:

Can a used part be coded to any car? Some mechanics & of course dealers say it's a one time only.

If I put in a used part and connect it back and drive to get coded will that work?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
LEW will only interfere with your stability control not ABS.
As you have only DSC and Brake lights in yellow I highly doubt ABS module is bad.

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago, when I changed the RTAB and rear suspension. My alignment went out of whack and immediately got DSC and yellow brake lights. After a week I replaced my front suspension and got the alignment.

Recalibrated my steering angle sensor(LEW). After driving about 100 miles after the alignment and re-calibration both lights are gone and DSC works perfectly.

Dont go to that mechanic he is tying to suck your balls dry.

Get a 4 wheel alignment(replace anything suspension related you want to before you get the alignment). Drive it for some time. If the lights dont clear then read the codes again. Then only change the sensor if required. People have had success using a USED sensor. When re-calibrating, you are essentially writing your VIN info on the steering angle sensor. Some people say its one time write only, but some say they had succeeded with a used sensor. May be there is a set number of times you can re-code the sensor with different VINs, but thats no where documented.

Then buy a BMW scanner, INPA, DIS to get and clear codes.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
p/o probably had the code cleared. I highly suggest replacing the sensor (if its indeed the culprit) it can save your life one day. no human being can fully duplicate the effectiveness of DSC. It's infinitely faster and more precise than you can ever be. Of course, no system can defy the laws of physics and always wear your safety belt.
Mango, if the alignment is out of whack or the sensor is bad. The codes will come back immediately(even with the key on Position II). I had the same issue, didnt matter how many times I cleared and re-calibrated my sensor. It would come up immediately. Infact, I was not even able to clear the codes but was able to recalibrate the LEW.
Once I got the alignment, recalibrated the LEW( I was able to clear the LEW code after alignment and recalibration), but was not able to clear the yellow DSC and brake lights(LEW error under ABS). I had to drive around 50~100 miles for the lights to go off.
Checked the codes again and no more errors.

OP's issue might be different(faulty sensor), but never hurts to check/do an alignment after you buy a car. It might drive straight but the slight change in the RTABs will throw a the steering angle sensor go whack.

My suggestion would be to get an alignment and re-calibrate the steering angle.
And buy the one of the code reader I mentioned in the above post. Those will save you a ton of money and your trips to balls sucking mechanics.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
WDE46

May I ask how you recalibrated your angle sensor? Mine is slightly off I think. DSC activates in left hand turns slightly more easily.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
May I ask how you recalibrated your angle sensor? Mine is slightly off I think. DSC activates in left hand turns slightly more easily.
Get alignment if you need to then make sure the steering wheel and the front wheels are straight.

In PA soft, go to LEW and I believe the option is called calibrate or resets or exactly sure what the option was but once you reach that screen it's self explanatory)

That should make he current position of the steering as the default straight position.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app