E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
RedZHP_K1

My Ride: 03 330 ZHP
Fixed P0171 P0174 - What I learned

I fixed my P0171 and P0174 codes and wanted to pass along what I learned. I searched around the site when I was diagnosing and it was very helpful:

When I got the codes (and rough idle), I searched for vacuum leaks and found the common one where the intake hose connects to the throttle body. The smaller hose had a tear about 1 inch long.

I replaced this part and was very happy since it was just $13.00 from the local BMW dealer. This did not fix the problem with the codes and rough idle.

I next used carb cleaner when the car was running to search for vacuum leaks. Since I had a rough idle anyway, it was not obvious when the car injected and burned some of the carb cleaner. I hooked up my scanner and watched the short term fuel trim (banks 1 and 2) when I was spraying. When I sprayed in the area of the manifold adjuster valve (DISA) the short term trim values changed by about 25%.

When I pulled out the DISA, the shaft was broken and the valve was free to move around. I got lucky - the metal pin that holds the valve to the body fell onto the garage floor when I pulled the assembly out. I just saw a recent post where somone needed a head re-build because the pin released into the engine.

The seal on the DISA was also bad. Replaced it with a new unit ($212 from dealer) and cleared the codes and all is well.

One other note - when I originally got the rough idle, the clutch made a loud clunking sound when the car was in neutral and my foot was off of the clutch. It would go away when I pressed the clutch. When I fixed the rough idle, the clutch noise went away. My guess is that the rough idle drove some vibration in the clutch/pressure plate. Maybe this is an indication that something is failing but it seems to work fine now. Any thoughts?
RedZHP_K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
derwish

My Ride: e46 BMW 323ci SE
same problem mate.. what if "I pull out the DISA and remove the flap / pin and just keep it there and plugged in"????.. Also what does DISA valve exactly DO??..:S
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
nice post. I haven't seen many disa valves go bad, but it's certainly something to check out if I ever run into this. I have two M54's to tend to now.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Like I said a year ago, I changed my DISA and my lean codes went away.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
I have these two codes just thrown along with P0313, however I do NOT have any idle/rough issues really. It will dip every once in a while when first stopped at a stop light but other than that it doesn't. I'm kind of thinking it's fuel filter. Any opinions?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
glad that you found your solution.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
tony330cifan

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to tony330cifan
I have the same problem as BMW MATT. Any opinions on what it might be?

-understeer.com SSK
-CFFL Angel Eyes
-6000k HID foglights
-BMW Performance Shift Knob
-Bavarian Hypersport Pulleys
-Kpeng Exhaust
-M3 Replica Mirrors
-Meyle CA w/ Powerflex Bushings
-K&N Drop-in Air Filter
-CDV removed
-DIY Clutch Stop
-Zimmerman Drilled Rotors w/ Axis Ultimate Pads
-Royal Purple in the tranny
-Image Dynamics IDQ15D4 v.2
tony330cifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
@BMWMatt and @tony330cifan: I believe P0313 is a misfire on Cyl #4. If it's accompanied by P0171 and P0174, then it's a misfire due to the lean condition. If this is your only problem, you might not have noticeably rough idle or power loss.

Your first order of business should be to check out the intake boots: The two fat rubber hoses that are directly downstream of the air filter and the MAF. The second intake boot has a smaller hose that goes to the Idle Air Control Valve (ICV); that small section of hose is notorious for decaying, cracking, and letting in unmetered air that causes the lean condition.

What does the DISA do? Read here - post #92. (danger - this link is unimaginably informative and you can waste half the day reading and learning):
http://forums.my330i.com/showthread.php?p=55148
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Gold323Ci

My Ride: 323 Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
@BMWMatt and @tony330cifan: I believe P0313 is a misfire on Cyl #4. If it's accompanied by P0171 and P0174, then it's a misfire due to the lean condition. If this is your only problem, you might not have noticeably rough idle or power loss.

Your first order of business should be to check out the intake boots: The two fat rubber hoses that are directly downstream of the air filter and the MAF. The second intake boot has a smaller hose that goes to the Idle Air Control Valve (ICV); that small section of hose is notorious for decaying, cracking, and letting in unmetered air that causes the lean condition.
I had a hole intake boot as well and replaced it. But that didn't fix my problem.

My misfire issue was a bad coil. I changed the bad coil (misfire code on cyl 1) from cylinder 1 to 2 and the code also followed. I bought a new coil on Ebay from a group in Groton, CT for about $20.

So, you may also have a bad coil that is super easy to change.
Gold323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
nickxtsui

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZHP_K1 View Post
I fixed my P0171 and P0174 codes and wanted to pass along what I learned. I searched around the site when I was diagnosing and it was very helpful:

When I got the codes (and rough idle), I searched for vacuum leaks and found the common one where the intake hose connects to the throttle body. The smaller hose had a tear about 1 inch long.

I replaced this part and was very happy since it was just $13.00 from the local BMW dealer. This did not fix the problem with the codes and rough idle.

I next used carb cleaner when the car was running to search for vacuum leaks. Since I had a rough idle anyway, it was not obvious when the car injected and burned some of the carb cleaner. I hooked up my scanner and watched the short term fuel trim (banks 1 and 2) when I was spraying. When I sprayed in the area of the manifold adjuster valve (DISA) the short term trim values changed by about 25%.

When I pulled out the DISA, the shaft was broken and the valve was free to move around. I got lucky - the metal pin that holds the valve to the body fell onto the garage floor when I pulled the assembly out. I just saw a recent post where somone needed a head re-build because the pin released into the engine.

The seal on the DISA was also bad. Replaced it with a new unit ($212 from dealer) and cleared the codes and all is well.

One other note - when I originally got the rough idle, the clutch made a loud clunking sound when the car was in neutral and my foot was off of the clutch. It would go away when I pressed the clutch. When I fixed the rough idle, the clutch noise went away. My guess is that the rough idle drove some vibration in the clutch/pressure plate. Maybe this is an indication that something is failing but it seems to work fine now. Any thoughts?
Very nice. I am also wondering if only the DISA O-ring is replaced, do you think the problem would have been solved? Since you mentioned DISA leak, so I assume your DISA was working properly?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
omairkhanzada

My Ride: 330ci
I guess I need a new DISA valve.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
omairkhanzada

I also realized when I had my exhaust put on, that the guy didn't put in a golf tee into the vacuum hose in the rear of the car. Could this also cause this problem?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
Same car (well, '04 ZHP), same codes, same issue, same resolution. How many miles were on that 'ol DISA? Mine had around 70k on it, and it was pretty battered.
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
omairkhanzada

I think it's my DISA as well but I'm afraid to replace it and still have the codes. I just crossed a 100.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible

M3's don't have DISA's correct? What does the m3 use to replace this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
M3 does not have DISA, they have individual throttle bodies at the intake ports and they run at higher RPM's so they do not have a replacement for the DISA.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-30-2013 at 04:37 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
omairkhanzada

Quote:
Originally Posted by omairkhanzada View Post
I also realized when I had my exhaust put on, that the guy didn't put in a golf tee into the vacuum hose in the rear of the car. Could this also cause this problem?
Any help? I plugged it and havent driven the car in 3 weeks because I'm so busy. Just wondering if this could cause the P0171, P0174.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omairkhanzada View Post
I think it's my DISA as well but I'm afraid to replace it and still have the codes. I just crossed a 100.
Take the DISA out and inspect it. Not difficult. Read the aforementioned link to understand how to inspect it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
jskin1510

My Ride: 01330ci(FS),08 335xi
I've had these codes as well. I'm planning on replacing my Valve Cover Gasket soon becuase i think there may be a small vaccum leak somewhere around there. I've inspected the boots as much as i could without removing them so that will be my next step if the VCG doesn't keep the SES light off. Looks like I'll have to take another look at the DISA as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
For those wondering about the function of the DISA, this is a pretty good post: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...4&postcount=23

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote