E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Yeah, best deal I've ever made. And it was originally supposed to be for $10,000. The guy had another one which I should have bought also.

tailo's is cleaner than mine though
Yeah but you have the factory setup, I'm going to play hell getting the right parts.

Besides, I'll just spray paint mine and beat the hell out of it.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Yeah but you have the factory setup, I'm going to play hell getting the right parts.

Don't do it...it's worth so much more to Colt buyers with a pristine factory finish. That's part of the reason why the m16 marked colts are carrying a premium over all the others. Colt buyers are buying up the m16s.

Original parts will be kinda hard to find, yeah. I don't think you'll have a major problem finding some though. Last week I actually received a magazine for a company that was selling complete parts kits for m16a1s, minus the receiver. Used kits came directly from military surplus rifles and included most everything you need to return it to factory spec.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Big firearm auction coming up 4/30...Class III MGs and other weapons

Quote:

Cx

Horrible idea. Don't do it. I saw that you did it to your sten too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
tailo

Quote:
Don't do it...it's worth so much more to Colt buyers with a pristine factory finish. That's part of the reason why the m16 marked colts are carrying a premium over all the others. Colt buyers are buying up the m16s.

Original parts will be kinda hard to find, yeah. I don't think you'll have a major problem finding some though. Last week I actually received a magazine for a company that was selling complete parts kits for m16a1s, minus the receiver. Used kits came directly from military surplus rifles and included most everything you need to return it to factory spec.
The real problem is locating the correctly marked parts, getting off the rack m16a1 parts aint a real problem.

I may need you to dig your parts out and document the markings so I can find the right casting marks since our guns are so close.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
david05111

Quote:
The real problem is locating the correctly marked parts, getting off the rack m16a1 parts aint a real problem.

I may need you to dig your parts out and document the markings so I can find the right casting marks since our guns are so close.
Yeah, if you give me a list of the markings I should look for, I can definitely take them out and have a look for you.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
tailo

mainly the barrel markings, the casting marks on the upper reciever, and any on the bcg if there is any.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
david05111

Ok holy shit. The prices these went for are staggering...I was nowhere near the running.

$43k for the mp40, $10+k for the Lanchester, $50k for the m60. Holy

I was extremely pleased to see that the M16 sold for almost $32,000 though. That should be welcome news to you as well tailo.

Last edited by david05111; 04-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
GasKing

Quote:
Ok holy shit. The prices these went for are staggering...I was nowhere near the running.

$43k for the mp40, $10+k for the Lanchester, $50k for the m60. Holy

I was extremely pleased to see that the M16 sold for almost $32,000 though. That should be welcome news to you as well tailo.
I guess the recent anti gun climate brought in the right buyers.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
tailo

doubtfull.

NFA is already banned, none of this BS effects us at all. The prices are just your average inflation of NFA items. In a few years $32k will be a steal.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
I want a Thompson so bad
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #31
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I want a Thompson so bad
Me too, though they're already out of my range unless I was to get serious value for the M16. I would normally say start saving your pennies, but the current rate of inflation seems to be outpacing our ability to save money haha.

Honestly the one that really got me in this auction was the Lanchester. It was expected to fall in the 4-6k range and ended up in the 10k area. That really surprised me; everything is climbing, and fast. I don't know if 10 years down the road I'll be able to afford another one. I sorta had my eyes on a beltfed, like an M60, or an MP5. But those are going up quickly too. $50+k for an M60? Holy shit

Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #32
CollinsE90

Quote:
Me too, though they're already out of my range unless I was to get serious value for the M16. I would normally say start saving your pennies, but the current rate of inflation seems to be outpacing our ability to save money haha.

Honestly the one that really got me in this auction was the Lanchester. It was expected to fall in the 4-6k range and ended up in the 10k area. That really surprised me; everything is climbing, and fast. I don't know if 10 years down the road I'll be able to afford another one. I sorta had my eyes on a beltfed, like an M60, or an MP5. But those are going up quickly too. $50+k for an M60? Holy shit
Your M16 will be worth that of the Thompson in a decade, I assume, not really a viable source lol. I just had the same thought, that I'd have to start making some serious coin to catch up to its rate of inflation. If I ever splurge a lot of money for a gun, it'll be a Thompson for sure. Those things will always increase in price.

I like that MG42, too, but damn it went for a lot of money.

Another gun I'd like is a Glock 18, but that'll never happen haha.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 04-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #33
david05111

Quote:
Your M16 will be worth that of the Thompson in a decade, I assume, not really a viable source lol. I just had the same thought, that I'd have to start making some serious coin to catch up to its rate of inflation. If I ever splurge a lot of money for a gun, it'll be a Thompson for sure. Those things will always increase in price.

I like that MG42, too, but damn it went for a lot of money.

Another gun I'd like is a Glock 18, but that'll never happen haha.
Haha the M16 has to catch the Thompson first. I'm not sure it will ever catch a Colt Thompson. If I ever got one though, there's no question whenever I went to shoot it I'd wear a zuit-suit. I'd have to get one custom made with the awesome pinstripes and the right hat. I'd totally show up to a range decked out in that with the violin case and the Thompson.

The MG42 is also badass, but it too went for ridiculous money. I know a few people outside of Jacksonville who have collections of these things who probably are buying this stuff up. But you have to have some serious cash to develop a collection of these things. I haven't added up the total of all the guns sold at the auction, but it was well over $1 million.

If you really want a G18, start a class III and get a demo letter from some department somewhere. That's all you need

Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #34
david05111

Actually just added it up. The total proceeds from that auction, including the buyers' premiums, was around $2,050,000. Its actually more than that, but not much. Also, they don't have sale numbers for a few items which I'm pretty sure sold for more than $0 or $275 for a machine gun.

Pretty nuts...I bet he didn't spend 10% of that on them.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #35
CollinsE90

I have a new goal in life. Buy a Thompson and buy a custom gangster suit and go to the range and act like nothing is different.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #36
david05111

Quote:
I have a new goal in life. Buy a Thompson and buy a custom gangster suit and go to the range and act like nothing is different.
I'm tellin ya dude, that's where its at.

There actually are a few of those with the whole weapon assembled inside for easy access. I just cant seem to find a good picture of one with the drum installed.

Last edited by david05111; 05-01-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #37
tailo

Thompsons can be had for cheaper than the m16, look for the west hurley guns.

There not "true" guns, as in they are later production and have little historical merrit but they can be good shooters.

IMHO get a loan and buy one, you wont regret it in a few years.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
tailo

hey david, do you have your factory box?

I just found a guy selling a couple factory colt m16a1 boxes sans SN scribble. I picked up one myself, I think $20 is a good investment for something that may add thousands later.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=338827939
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
david05111

Quote:
hey david, do you have your factory box?

I just found a guy selling a couple factory colt m16a1 boxes sans SN scribble. I picked up one myself, I think $20 is a good investment for something that may add thousands later.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=338827939
I don't and I would be very, very tempted to grab one of those. I'm wondering if the M16 rollmarked guns had different boxes than M16A1 rollmarked guns.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
GasKing

Big firearm auction coming up 4/30...Class III MGs and other weapons

Quote:
I don't and I would be very, very tempted to grab one of those. I'm wondering if the M16 rollmarked guns had different boxes than M16A1 rollmarked guns.
For $20 I would grab it either way.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app