E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #2661
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Zimmerman waives pre-trial self-defense hearing

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...aring/2122991/

Quote:
Yamiche Alcindor, USA TODAY12:18 p.m. EDT April 30, 2013

The man charged with murdering Trayvon Martin waived his right to a pre-trial self-defense immunity hearing during a Tuesday morning court appearance in Orlando.

Under oath, George Zimmerman told Circuit Judge Debra Nelson that he understood Florida's self-defense laws, that he had talked to his lawyers about the stand-your-ground statute, and that he has decided not to have a pre-trial immunity hearing.

The questioning confirmed that Zimmerman has waived his right to an immunity hearing before the trial but leaves open the option to have a hearing later.

Timeline: The Travyon Martin case

Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, is facing a second-degree murder charge in the Feb. 26, 2012, shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in a gated Sanford, Fla., community. Trayvon's family argues the young black man was profiled, pursued and murdered. Zimmerman says he shot Trayvon in self-defense after being attacked.

Partly at the center of contention between the legal sides is a motion by Zimmerman's lawyers to make state prosecutors pay $4,555 in attorney's fees. State prosecutors delayed depositions by five hours in March because they objected to them being videotaped, said Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's lawyer. The court later ruled that the witnesses -- including a friend of Trayvon who claims she was on the phone with him the night of the shooting -- could be videotaped, he said.

Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda maintains that no violations occurred and that his office is not liable for any attorney or videographer fees. O'Mara now claims that the wording of de la Rionda's motion included false statements and misrepresentations and should be grounds for sanctioning him.

In the March 28 motion, de la Rionda wrote O'Mara was "grandstanding" and "courts anything resembling a microphone or camera." He also added that O'Mara has made misrepresentations to the court, falsely asserted that Zimmerman was indigent, and has attacked several people including the family of Trayvon Martin, the family's attorney, and members of the news media.

In a motion filed Friday, O'Mara accused de la Rionda of attacking him personally with unfounded "egregious" statements. He asked for sanctions and disciplinary proceedings.

At Tuesday's hearing, Judge Nelson ruled that state prosecutors must provide Zimmerman attorneys with any new information they receive from Trayvon's cellphone. The ruling, currently, means prosecutors have nothing to provide because de la Rionda repeatedly told the judge he has provided O'Mara with all the information he has from the teen's cellphone.

The judge also ordered both sides to provide cleaned up or enhanced versions of a now critical 911 call where a person is heard screaming help before a gunshot the night Trayvon was killed. De la Rionda said he has not provided Tracy Martin or any member of Trayvon's family with enhanced versions of the 911 call though he said experts are working with the 911 call and may in the future have such versions. Zimmerman's defense also has experts who will work with the call.

Meanwhile, in a Friday redacted motion, O'Mara also asked to add witnesses to the case but does not reveal publicly their names or what type of information they might provide.

Zimmerman's trial is scheduled to begin June 10th.
Good luck George.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #2662
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Anyone see the Orlando case of the father (ex cop) who shot and killed his son on security video in his yard? 18 years with OPD and a lieutenant and he claims HE was "tricked" by the police.

They were fighting, he went outside into his car, pulled out a gun and shot his son dead.

He had no major injuries and the son is not even in the frame of the video.

"The police report states that Davis Sr's wife, Tarsha, broke up the fight before her husband eventually went to retreive his .38-calibre handgun from his car."

He was already found not guilty.

Investigate it for yourself......

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 04-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #2663
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post

Good luck George.
You're just thirsting for that white devil to get his aren't ya

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #2664
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
If you actually knew something about the legal system, you would know why they did it. Great strategy.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #2665
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post

Nah. He's hoping that Zimmerman gets away with murder.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #2666
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
I'm going to hedge my bet that they find him guilty.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #2667
phrozen06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Zimmerman isn't white. Is everything with you about race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
If you actually knew something about the legal system, you would know why they did it. Great strategy.
I do know their strategy. Thats why I said Good Luck George

Last edited by phrozen06; 04-30-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #2668
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Zimmerman isn't white. If everything with you about race?
White hispanic!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #2669
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
The Zimmerman LIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Anyone see the Orlando case of the father (ex cop) who shot and killed his son on security video in his yard? 18 years with OPD and a lieutenant and he claims HE was "tricked" by the police.

They were fighting, he went outside into his car, pulled out a gun and shot his son dead.

He had no major injuries and the son is not even in the frame of the video.

"The police report states that Davis Sr's wife, Tarsha, broke up the fight before her husband eventually went to retreive his .38-calibre handgun from his car."

He was already found not guilty.

Investigate it for yourself......
I did, crazy....

From what I've heard about the evidence, I would guess George will be acquitted.

What are the reasons for him declining the pre trial?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #2670
phrozen06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
White hispanic!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
is that what he puts on his census form.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #2671
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
New video released by ABC show police department video of George Zimmerman immediately after he murdered Trayvon Martin, and his bloody nose/split open head are nowhere to be seen.

Where's all the blood? Where are all the injuries?
I'll just leave this here...
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #2672
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
What are the reasons for him declining the pre trial?
A previous op/ed piece I read suggested that the pre-trial is a gamble because the defense has to show their hand. So they wouldn't do the pre-trial hearing unless they were very, very certain that the charges would be tossed at that point. If they do the pre-trial and the case isn't thrown out, the prosecution will be better prepared going into trial, which would make the trial more difficult to win.

Can't tell ya if that's true or not, except that I read it on the interwebz, so it must be factual.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #2673
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
A previous op/ed piece I read suggested that the pre-trial is a gamble because the defense has to show their hand. So they wouldn't do the pre-trial hearing unless they were very, very certain that the charges would be tossed at that point. If they do the pre-trial and the case isn't thrown out, the prosecution will be better prepared going into trial, which would make the trial more difficult to win.

Can't tell ya if that's true or not, except that I read it on the interwebz, so it must be factual.
It is possible. It is also possible for Zimmerman to get a "liberal" judge who will deny him immunity, and that puts a whiff of guilt in the air...not something you want to hit your jury's nostrils.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #2674
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
It is possible. It is also possible for Zimmerman to get a "liberal" judge who will deny him immunity, and that puts a whiff of guilt in the air...not something you want to hit your jury's nostrils.
ahh both of those make sense. thanks.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #2675
phrozen06

Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #2676
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
holy bejebus!

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #2677
Lair
Modded ///Member

I know where that $300,000 went.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #2678
phrozen06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I know where that $300,000 went.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #2679
phrozen06

George Zimmerman attorneys: State voice experts may be using phony science

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7663818.story

Quote:
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel
10:50 a.m. EDT, May 6, 2013

Attorneys for murder suspect George Zimmerman are challenging the scientific validity of state voice recognition experts.

In a new motion, defense attorney Mark O'Mara wrote that those unnamed experts may be using phony science, so the judge should hold a hearing, listen to evidence about how they did their work then decide whether to allow them to testify at Zimmerman's trial.

The motion, filed Friday but made public today, is almost certainly related to a much-played 911 recording made Feb. 26, 2012, the night Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black 17 year old in Sanford.

A neighbor had called police to report a fight outside. During her call, a voice in the background can be heard crying for help then 40 seconds later, there's a loud bang – the gunshot - and the crying stops.

That piece of evidence will be one of the most important at Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, slated to begin in Sanford June 10.

Photos: Hot sports wives, girlfriends

Zimmerman told police he was the one screaming for help, that Trayvon had punched him, breaking his nose and knocking him to the ground, then climbed on top and began hammering his head on a sidewalk.

Trayvon's parents say the screams were from their son, although, his father initially told Sanford police they were not.

Family attorney Benjamin Crump told reporters that Trayvon's father, Tracy Martin, changed his opinion after listening to a cleaned up version of the recording, but prosecutors last week told Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson that they knew of no cleaned up version.

Crump last week said that when Tracy Martin listened to the recording a second time, at Sanford's City Hall, he was listening on a computer and could hear the audio more clearly.

FBI audio experts tried to analyze the recording but gave up, saying the quality of the recording was too poor.

O'Mara's motion does not identify which experts he's challenging, but two audio experts analyzed the voice on the tape last year for the Orlando Sentinel, and both concluded it was not Zimmerman. Prosecutors put them both, Tom Owen, chairman emeritus of the American Board of Recorded Evidence, and Ed Primeau, an audio engineer from Rochester Hills, Mich., on their witness list.

Owen is a courtroom veteran, but in his analysis of the voice on that 911 recording used a new software program he had developed. He removed all other sound from the recording, except for the cries for help, and using biometrics, compared it to a recording of Zimmerman's voice and concluded it was not him. Owen came to no conclusion about who it was.

Primeau used a different technique, based on audio enhancement and human analysis, and concluded the voice belonged to Trayvon because it was "a young man screaming"

Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #2680
Lair
Modded ///Member

The "phony science" accusation - a cornerstone of modern rightwing propaganda.

Quote:
Congratulations.