E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #41
cuz.iknim

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via AIM to cuz.iknim Send a message via MSN to cuz.iknim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
all you would need is a new inverter, unless you want a whole new set of angel eyes? if you do decide on new angels, i would disconnect everything and make sure the xenons are fine then continue on with the install.

What is inverter? or where is it? I have CCFL angel eyes that was installed by jleviSW on P46..

I think angel eyes were just one big part.. I am not sure if I can take out the inverter?

cuz.iknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #42
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz.iknim View Post
This would make sense if I was working in the headlight.. but this is Fog light that we are talking about.. how would you connect it to battery?
You need to connect the relay to the battery. There's a red wire that goes to the battery. Figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz.iknim View Post
What is inverter? or where is it? I have CCFL angel eyes that was installed by jleviSW on P46..

I think angel eyes were just one big part.. I am not sure if I can take out the inverter?
An inverter is the black box that you connect the angel eyes to. The inverters have a pair of wires that connects to your angel eye wiring harness.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #43
cuz.iknim

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via AIM to cuz.iknim Send a message via MSN to cuz.iknim
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
You need to connect the relay to the battery. There's a red wire that goes to the battery. Figure it out.

An inverter is the black box that you connect the angel eyes to. The inverters have a pair of wires that connects to your angel eye wiring harness.
Sounds good. I will try to swap them from each side and see if it is the inverter.

Thanks!

cuz.iknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
was this ever resolved by anyone? I have had this same problem since I installed the kit 3 years ago and am running a power relay directly to the battery on my 35W DDM kit.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #45
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
was this ever resolved by anyone? I have had this same problem since I installed the kit 3 years ago and am running a power relay directly to the battery on my 35W DDM kit.
I have the 35w ddm kit also and also running a relay but the problem is still there.
Anyone knows how to fix this?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
That's odd adding the relay doesn't solve your guys' issue considering all the factory wiring system and controls are merely actuating that relay now which doesn't take any power at all to do and the HIDS are on it's own power and ground source from the relay.

I would instead, supply a separate new ground wire for the relay instead of using the factory ground wire off the fog harness. Leave the factory fog harness ground alone and just use the positive side to trigger the relay. Also wire in a diode so there is no chance of back feeding. This way will ensure that only the positive lead of the factory fog harness is being used to power the relay and the diode should eliminate any odd back feeding messing with your lights.

EDIT: I just realized that some of the relay harnesses you can buy might have different relay circuitry types as there are a few variations of how you can wire a basic relay. I always make my own relay harnesses so I know what pin is going to what.

03 Carbon Black X5 4.4 - Parts Hauler/Daily

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Last edited by Tchleung; 01-05-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #47
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
That's odd adding the relay doesn't solve your guys' issue considering all the factory wiring system and controls are merely actuating that relay now which doesn't take any power at all to do and the HIDS are on it's own power and ground source from the relay.

I would instead, supply a separate new ground wire for the relay instead of using the factory ground wire off the fog harness. Leave the factory fog harness ground alone and just use the positive side to trigger the relay. Also wire in a diode so there is no chance of back feeding. This way will ensure that only the positive lead of the factory fog harness is being used to power the relay and the diode should eliminate any odd back feeding messing with your lights.

EDIT: I just realized that some of the relay harnesses you can buy might have different relay circuitry types as there are a few variations of how you can wire a basic relay. I always make my own relay harnesses so I know what pin is going to what.

My both ballast have separate ground from the body instead of the factory ground. From the OEM foglight connector,I am only using 1 positive wire which triggers the relay.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #48
Tchleung

Try adding a diode inline with your trigger wire to see if it helps at all. Can be sourced at any electronics shop even radio shack for very cheap.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #49
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
i would try using a better brand relay first. see if that helps, it should be an easy swap.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #50
Tchleung

Quote:
i would try using a better brand relay first. see if that helps, it should be an easy swap.
Yes that is good advise. I've never had any issues with Bosch relays when it comes to HID.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #51
szand

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
What brand would you consider a better brand relay? I'm dealing with this same problem right now. Swapped out ballasts and checked to see if harness was wired correctly. I didn't have any issues with the HIDs for a few years and suddenly they started giving me the high beam indicator flash upon initial startup.