E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #701
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #702
323tom

My Ride: 2 turbo e46's
Well to be fair I have yet to drive the car since the one piece drive shaft has been removed and I'm not sure if Larry has driven it on the street since but he says on the dyno he still feels vibrations, what else could be in play? The tranny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Solid motor mounts, 2 years and going.. been through a million iterations with my car.. solid everything.. the only time it felt like what you're describing is after I switched to a 1 piece drive shaft. Dallas does that at all sound like what you experienced in my car when we drove from Portland to Vegas? How about you Kenton? I'm pretty sure something else is at play tom, that's definitely not the solid motor mounts.. infact the solid motor mounts are generally LESS noticeable once I'm moving.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #703
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Well to be fair I have yet to drive the car since the one piece drive shaft has been removed and I'm not sure if Larry has driven it on the street since but he says on the dyno he still feels vibrations, what else could be in play? The tranny?
Depending on how bad the driveshaft vibration was its possible it screwed up the output shaft on the transmission? Just guessing here..
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #704
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Solid motor mounts, 2 years and going.. been through a million iterations with my car.. solid everything.. the only time it felt like what you're describing is after I switched to a 1 piece drive shaft. Dallas does that at all sound like what you experienced in my car when we drove from Portland to Vegas? How about you Kenton? I'm pretty sure something else is at play tom, that's definitely not the solid motor mounts.. infact the solid motor mounts are generally LESS noticeable once I'm moving.
I've had them for about 2 years now? Only thing making any sort of evil vibrations has been my exhaust...and we quieted some of those vibes down a bit with the tightening of some heat shielding and re tightening some clamps...it's still hitting the heat shielding at two points however (gotta love pre-fabbed exhaust)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #705
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Something is up...my bet is the the 1pc driveshaft...however let's hope it isn't something bad.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #706
323tom

My Ride: 2 turbo e46's
Well the 1 pc drive shaft is removed now and apparently still making vibrations, at this point I want to see what this damn FSR manifold is cable of, I've only been waiting all winter and this 24+ weather is killing me not having my car... Expected/asked for my car back may 1st which never happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Something is up...my bet is the the 1pc driveshaft...however let's hope it isn't something bad.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #707
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Well the 1 pc drive shaft is removed now and apparently still making vibrations, at this point I want to see what this damn FSR manifold is cable of, I've only been waiting all winter and this 24+ weather is killing me not having my car... Expected/asked for my car back may 1st which never happened
BAHAHAHA, can't wait for the story tellin on this. Just source work to locals... this is pathetic. If "said" shop can't look at a work order and realize wtf went wrong. How can another cent be released, on a busted build? I wouldn't pay a penny until "said issues" are resolved. You didn't have this issue before (well documented). Be strong.

Last edited by xixixi; 05-01-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #708
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
This might just be to obvious for some to see when it is the case, I could tell if you made a video on dyno of the rear tires but have they swapped rear tires for another set yet? How long did the car sit without moving during winter, long sits can cause it to become unbalanced, and a unbalanced rim is easier to feel on the dyno then the street. worth a shot but idk.....solid motor mounts and tranny mounts wont cause vibration worse at higher speeds, just horrible noise IMO. also the U-joint right behind the carrier bearing on the factory driveshaft is almost always not looked at and cause vibrations.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #709
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
This might just be to obvious for some to see when it is the case, I could tell if you made a video on dyno of the rear tires but have they swapped rear tires for another set yet? How long did the car sit without moving during winter, long sits can cause it to become unbalanced, and a unbalanced rim is easier to feel on the dyno then the street. worth a shot but idk.....solid motor mounts and tranny mounts wont cause vibration worse at higher speeds, just horrible noise IMO. also the U-joint right behind the carrier bearing on the factory driveshaft is almost always not looked at and cause vibrations.
I love this forum
Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #710
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
BAHAHAHA, can't wait for the story tellin on this. Just source work to locals... this is pathetic. If "said" shop can't look at a work order and realize wtf went wrong. How can another cent be released, on a busted build? I wouldn't pay a penny until "said issues" are resolved. You didn't have this issue before (well documented). Be strong.

Seriously though, I'm sure they'll figure it out. In the grand scheme of things for as big of a build as Tom has done and what not he's been pretty lucky. I've seen much worse.. and been through much worse.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #711
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:

Seriously though, I'm sure they'll figure it out. In the grand scheme of things for as big of a build as Tom has done and what not he's been pretty lucky. I've seen much worse.. and been through much worse.
Tom's car (never heard a word) was drinking oil like a pig. What was that fix? Did we ever find out? 1000hp builds on s54s aren't that uncommon.

Last edited by xixixi; 05-02-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #712
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Tom's car (never heard a word) was drinking oil like a pig. What was that fix? Did we ever find out? 1000hp builds on s54s aren't that uncommon.
There are about five 1000rwhp S54's out there. Micke, Tom, Maverick, the HPF Shop Car (at one point).. and Mytran/Lutzs.

I wouldn't say its common..
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #713
Commanderwiggin

A quart of oil every 3000miles is not uncommon for a high hp built S54...but I'm not sure how much it was drinking previous we all know there was a problem with the head gasket which has been resolved. This is also SP's first crack at the S54...there are always going to be growing pains unfortunately.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #714
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
A quart of oil every 3000miles is not uncommon for a high hp built S54...but I'm not sure how much it was drinking previous we all know there was a problem with the head gasket which has been resolved. This is also SP's first crack at the S54...there are always going to be growing pains unfortunately.
I for one would rather drink a little oil then eat rings.. I know HPF has historical run a pretty tight ring gap.. mainly because people complained of oil consumption in the beginning..

That said I'm sure SP played it safe with the rings and because of it Tom's consuming some oil. Now granted I don't recall how much (like Kenton said) but if its a qt every few thousand I wouldn't think be concerned.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #715
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
There are about five 1000rwhp S54's out there. Micke, Tom, Maverick, the HPF Shop Car (at one point).. and Mytran/Lutzs.

I wouldn't say its common..
Not everyone is swinging on the net, you have to hunt for it. Anyone can build something to produce lots of hp, push hard on the number. Few can utilize it. Marcus, your car should be shitting everyone, but it's not. Why? Mytran blew up and hpf to the date refused to release pics....

Last edited by xixixi; 05-02-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #716
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
I for one would rather drink a little oil then eat rings.. I know HPF has historical run a pretty tight ring gap.. mainly because people complained of oil consumption in the beginning..

That said I'm sure SP played it safe with the rings and because of it Tom's consuming some oil. Now granted I don't recall how much (like Kenton said) but if its a qt every few thousand I wouldn't think be concerned.
Double, you should know out of everyone. It was much more than a qt every few thousand. Just read the thread! Isn't a forum to share good info? Help everyone? Not make it look like bribes are being taken? I've never seen so much science, disproved by marketing.

Last edited by xixixi; 05-02-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #717
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Not everyone is swinging on the net, you have to hunt for it. Anyone can build something to produce lots of hp, push hard on the number. Few can utilize it. Marcus, your car should be shitting everyone, but it's not. Why? Mytran blew up and hpf to the date refused to release pics....
I'm sure there's a guy building a 1000rwhp+ S54 in his barn somewhere in remote Alaska.. but for the most part if you're putting down 1000rwhp you're likely on the net, and if you're on the net.. someone here has likely heard of your build. So when I say 1000rwhp isn't common I'm not saying its never been done.. I'm just saying 4 or 5 isn't exactly common.

My car has had nothing but issues with the clutch since dragging it.. the flywheel backed out constantly, the wiring needed to be redone as after so many hands in it it started to look like a rats nest.. its coming back together but its not a huge priority to me right now.

Its at the same shop as Kenton's car and its pretty deep in the queue.. and thats fine with me. I've got some other projects and what not I'm working on that's keeping me busy.

When Chris decided not to show at MFest this year I sort of lost my enthusiasm for pushing the limit on the car and decided to tame it back down so I can enjoy it more on the street. I upped the compression to 11.5:1 and will likely drop down to a 6766, its in the middle of that right now.. and on low priority.

When its done I'll post up numbers.. but it will be a little bit.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #718
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
I'm sure there's a guy building a 1000rwhp+ S54 in his barn somewhere in remote Alaska.. but for the most part if you're putting down 1000rwhp you're likely on the net, and if you're on the net.. someone here has likely heard of your build. So when I say 1000rwhp isn't common I'm not saying its never been done.. I'm just saying 4 or 5 isn't exactly common.

My car has had nothing but issues with the clutch since dragging it.. the flywheel backed out constantly, the wiring needed to be redone as after so many hands in it it started to look like a rats nest.. its coming back together but its not a huge priority to me right now.

Its at the same shop as Kenton's car and its pretty deep in the queue.. and thats fine with me. I've got some other projects and what not I'm working on that's keeping me busy.

When Chris decided not to show at MFest this year I sort of lost my enthusiasm for pushing the limit on the car and decided to tame it back down so I can enjoy it more on the street. I upped the compression to 11.5:1 and will likely drop down to a 6766, its in the middle of that right now.. and on low priority.

When its done I'll post up numbers.. but it will be a little bit.
1000 is worthless, if you can only put down 600. You picked up a bit with less hp. Jesus holy, can we get Chad back ... circles the us market is doing.

Last edited by xixixi; 05-02-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #719
MarcusLSB

Quote:
1000 is worthless, if you can only put down 600. You picked up a bit with less hp. Jesus holy, can we get Chad back ... circles the us market is doing.
Correct, which is why I'm not looking to go more than roughly 800rwhp.. which I feel I could put down decently with boost by gear/mph on R888's on 18's. I was cutting 5.6's on 265/35/19's.. so I think 18's should be fine.

I'm not looking to roll around on massive drag radials, nor am I going to widebody the car..

I'm not sure what you mean about Chad and circles?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #720
Commanderwiggin

Before the last Shift S3ctor event and about 1hour of E85 tuning...few changes since then...

Sorry for OT, just figured we needed some happiness in this thread