E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1996 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #18601
Dan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 8
My Ride: 325CI M Sport
I just fitted a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres to the rear wheels. It was a bit of a mission to get them on being so wide and such a low profile.
They look absolutely amazing and are so quiet on the road. I'm going to get a pair for the front next month to finally be rid of the chinese ditchfinders.

I fitted a steering rack from an E46 compact last week as well which has a quicker ratio than my original. It has the purple tag and is part number 6 755 067. I measured 50mm of rack movement per revolution of the input shaft with a digital caliper compared to 53.5 of the blue tag original rack part number 1 096 908.
Dan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #18602
1hot325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 85
My Ride: Bmw 325i
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Got mine cleaned and paint treated for the summer my baby looks like glassClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367442490.424360.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	503386


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
1hot325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #18603
BimmerFool1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 137
My Ride: 02' BMW 325i 5MT
New Coilpacks & Spark plugs! no more mis fires and all smooth acceleration!

__________________
lol.

Last edited by BimmerFool1; 05-01-2013 at 06:27 PM.
BimmerFool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #18604
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,912
My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan86 View Post
I just fitted a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres to the rear wheels. It was a bit of a mission to get them on being so wide and such a low profile.
They look absolutely amazing and are so quiet on the road. I'm going to get a pair for the front next month to finally be rid of the chinese ditchfinders.

I fitted a steering rack from an E46 compact last week as well which has a quicker ratio than my original. It has the purple tag and is part number 6 755 067. I measured 50mm of rack movement per revolution of the input shaft with a digital caliper compared to 53.5 of the blue tag original rack part number 1 096 908.
Any reason you went for the Pilot Sport 3s over the Pilot Super Sports?

Also, if your new rack has 50mm movement and the old one has 53.5, that means your new rack has a slower ratio. As far as I knew, only the Z3 non-M and Z4MC had racks that quick though..

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-01-2013 at 05:48 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #18605
Dan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 8
My Ride: 325CI M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Any reason you went for the Pilot Sport 3s over the Pilot Super Sports?

Also, if your new rack has 50mm movement and the old one has 53.5, that means your new rack has a slower ratio. As far as I knew, only the Z3 non-M and Z4MC had racks that quick though..
Well spotted. I've made a mistake in my post. Doh!

There was a difference of 3.5 mm. so the old rack measured 46.5mm. The new one is definitely faster.

I got the ps3 for a good price and the treadwear is 320 opposed to 300 on the SS.
Dan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #18606
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,912
My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan86 View Post
Well spotted. I've made a mistake in my post. Doh!

There was a difference of 3.5 mm. so the old rack measured 46.5mm. The new one is definitely faster.

I got the ps3 for a good price and the treadwear is 320 opposed to 300 on the SS.
Ah cool, about the same difference I experienced going from a stock M3 rack to a post 09/01 330 rack. Definitely a noticeable upgrade

Gotcha. Pilot Sport 3s aren't really available here in the US (only a couple sizes for OEMs), so I was just curious. I did get remarkable mileage out of my PSS anyway (20k out of my rears... which is almost 2x what I get with other summer tires)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #18607
Dan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 8
My Ride: 325CI M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Ah cool, about the same difference I experienced going from a stock M3 rack to a post 09/01 330 rack. Definitely a noticeable upgrade

Gotcha. Pilot Sport 3s aren't really available here in the US (only a couple sizes for OEMs), so I was just curious. I did get remarkable mileage out of my PSS anyway (20k out of my rears... which is almost 2x what I get with other summer tires)
It was definitely worth getting covered in ATF for. 3.5mm doesn't sound like it would make that much difference but it is just right for me now. If it was any quicker I think you'd have to concentrate that bit harder to stay in a straight line.

20k is fantastic mileage. I'd be pleased as punch with that.
I've got some new oem trailing arm bushes and a pair of Meyle HD front control arms to go on next and then a full alignment. I don't want to ruin new tyres!
Dan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #18608
Riverbmr3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PI
Posts: 4,077
My Ride: MB E350 & BMW 325i
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Just installed my window regulator in the front for the third time, this time i ziptied it.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #18609
Mango
e46mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 25,720
My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
Just installed my window regulator in the front for the third time, this time i ziptied it.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
bad idea. that will cause it to hang and fail. eventually eats up the rollers on the regulator when it puts tension on the cable. trust me

Which regulators are you installing? and how often are they failing

Last edited by Mango; 05-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #18610
tock172
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,928
My Ride: '11 135i 6MT
Installed a new trunk lid grip gasket and the genuine BMW grocery gripper in the trunk - beware, although the grocery gripper is a genuine BMW part, the design is subpar and a hassle to work with.

I also removed and reinstalled my front wheels to deal with a vibration related to my ECS 12.5mm spacers. A simple re-torquing of the lug bolts, making sure the bolt being torqued was on the 'top' solved the problem in under 5 minutes. Successful day.
__________________


Past: 1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Present: 2011 135i 6MT

Last edited by tock172; 05-01-2013 at 08:43 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #18611
jM2.me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 818
My Ride: BMW
Finally finished (kinda) what I started couple weeks ago. Installed exhaust back after cutting out the muffler just to see if I want to keep muffler or maybe change it. It's much quite at idle and a little bit louder at higher RPMs. Love it. Now I have to purchase exhaust tips and have it all welded. Would love some suggestions. Quad exhaust with m3 bumper.

Edit:
After dropping the car one thing has been getting on my nerves. Whenever I have to lift car's front (middle), a factory jack has to be used to lift one side of the car and only then I can slide under aftermarket car jack to lift the car. Kinda regret going so low...

Last edited by jM2.me; 05-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #18612
effay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 173
My Ride: 323Ci
New shift boot , Tri stitch! Lol bashed the shift knob off my jaw tying to remove
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #18613
Japanrot_325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Martinsburg WV
Posts: 223
My Ride: 03 325i
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
Finally finished (kinda) what I started couple weeks ago. Installed exhaust back after cutting out the muffler just to see if I want to keep muffler or maybe change it. It's much quite at idle and a little bit louder at higher RPMs. Love it. Now I have to purchase exhaust tips and have it all welded. Would love some suggestions. Quad exhaust with m3 bumper.

Edit:
After dropping the car one thing has been getting on my nerves. Whenever I have to lift car's front (middle), a factory jack has to be used to lift one side of the car and only then I can slide under aftermarket car jack to lift the car. Kinda regret going so low...
Ramps my friend ramps.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Japanrot_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #18614
CK325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 495
My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny323 View Post
Got my 05 325I windshield replace by Safelight ... Pretty good job.... Now I need to replace my Cowl... Anyone know where can I buy a Cowl for cheap...?? Attachment 503374


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES129793/ 55 bucks.
Need to do this on my car too :/
CK325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #18615
Mango
e46mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 25,720
My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK325 View Post
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES129793/ 55 bucks.
Need to do this on my car too :/
shipping will cost you more than the part costs.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #18616
ClaytonL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 297
My Ride: 2003 325i
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny323 View Post
Got my 05 325I windshield replace by Safelight ... Pretty good job.... Now I need to replace my Cowl... Anyone know where can I buy a Cowl for cheap..??? Attachment 503375


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I got mine from OEMbimmerparts for $66 out the door. or I guess, out the shopping cart. plus free shipping. I hate hate hate paying shipping charges.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
ClaytonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #18617
effay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 173
My Ride: 323Ci
New shift boot , Tri stitch! Lol bashed the shift knob off my jaw tying to remove it
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #18618
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 30,175
My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Put together my Thule fairing last night. Just waiting for an afternoon to install it.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #18619
E46Moonlight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 2,597
My Ride: 2000 323i
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Quote:
Originally Posted by effay View Post
New shift boot , Tri stitch! Lol bashed the shift knob off my jaw tying to remove it
Nice! Post pics!

Last edited by E46Moonlight; 05-02-2013 at 11:35 AM.
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #18620
98bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 598
My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
Finally finished (kinda) what I started couple weeks ago. Installed exhaust back after cutting out the muffler just to see if I want to keep muffler or maybe change it. It's much quite at idle and a little bit louder at higher RPMs. Love it. Now I have to purchase exhaust tips and have it all welded. Would love some suggestions. Quad exhaust with m3 bumper.

Edit:
After dropping the car one thing has been getting on my nerves. Whenever I have to lift car's front (middle), a factory jack has to be used to lift one side of the car and only then I can slide under aftermarket car jack to lift the car. Kinda regret going so low...
As suggested, ramps or wood blocks are your friend
__________________
98bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use