E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 119 votes, 4.01 average.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #1181
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Well ya'll can see my experience with the Stewart pump just a few threads down on the forum page. Stay far away from that pump. Metal impeller or not it has cost me alot. Failed twice.

Last edited by djbradle; 05-02-2013 at 01:50 PM.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #1182
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
* E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

I should state tbd on this one even though the first one was internals.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #1183
Penno

My Ride: 325i M sport
Question

Without reading all night, can I ask if this applies to my E46 which is a 325i M sport?
I notice you say "non M" and I just wonder exactly what that means?
Penno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #1184
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penno View Post
Without reading all night, can I ask if this applies to my E46 which is a 325i M sport?
What specifically are you asking about?

And why not tell us what year your car is?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #1185
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
yes it applies.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #1186
prisonerofdoom83

My Ride: E46 E30 Tacoma
okay finally switched out the green fluid . started my car no overheating and heater works well i think i did it right . also i just picked up an E30 the procedure is about the same except at the end you let the car warm up and let the thermostat open then refill the expansion tank . weird how ive never had/heard of having to bleed a system and now i have 2 =)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #1187
Penno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
What specifically are you asking about?

And why not tell us what year your car is?
Sorry my bad.

Car is a 2003 325i M sport.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #1188
Penno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
yes it applies.
So when you say "non M" you mean M3 only?
As opposed to M sport, like my 325i M sport.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #1189
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
So when you say "non M" you mean M3 only?
As opposed to M sport, like my 325i M sport.
right. anything besides the M3 is non-m

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1190
DWshnitzer323

My Ride: E46 323
I'm having cooling system issues currently.As mentioned above expansion tank split spilt all the water,Temp over to the red for a brief period.Then dropped suddenly?
Changed expansion tank,still orange low water level on dashboard,Swapped it for screen wash sensor,Still stayed on.changed thermostat and housing,checked water pump.
I think I have now pinned the fault down to the radiator cooling fan not working,3rd small wire on cooling fan plug must be sending fault to dashboard.does this sound feasible.
not seen fan come on for sometime even if I run a direct + to it.?
DWshnitzer323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #1191
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWshnitzer323 View Post
I'm having cooling system issues currently.As mentioned above expansion tank split spilt all the water,Temp over to the red for a brief period.Then dropped suddenly?
Changed expansion tank,still orange low water level on dashboard,Swapped it for screen wash sensor,Still stayed on.changed thermostat and housing,checked water pump.
I think I have now pinned the fault down to the radiator cooling fan not working,3rd small wire on cooling fan plug must be sending fault to dashboard.does this sound feasible.
replace everything

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #1192
Stinger9

Quote:
I think I just read that the fan gets a constant 12v no matter what. It is powered all the time, but must get a signal from the ECM to run and how fast to run. So it is more complicated than a simple switch.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #1193
Mango
A full five stars, son

MikeT325ci just helped me change my oil with the help of his extractor. Quick and easy, added Genuine BMW 5W-30. Thanks for the help, Mike.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #1194
Mango
A full five stars, son

Oops mixed up stickies

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #1195
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
is your system bled correctly?s sounds like you might have some air.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #1196
DWshnitzer323

My Ride: E46 323
I have managed to get a used fan, problem is new fan has additional control silver box on the inline wire feed between the fan socket and motor.Plugging this direct onto my loom still does not remove my orange light from dashboard unless this one is faulty also.What is the control box for? Should I bypass this?.A guy in the breakers suggested it was some sort of regulator to govern required speed.demand of fan.? Another one suggested it was the actual thermostat to switch fan on? Mine has a direct wire from female socket straight into the motor. On an another thread it was suggested remove the plug from the temp sensor on btm hose the fan should come on. My fan does not work.If I put a wire accross the temp sensor wires from the bottom hose will this give the fan the signal to switch on?
As for bleeding the system I have tried several times using the bleed screw and heater on.
DWshnitzer323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #1197
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
I've changed my oil with an extractor many times too and also all by myself.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #1198
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I have managed to get a used fan, problem is new fan has additional control silver box on the inline wire feed between the fan socket and motor.Plugging this direct onto my loom still does not remove my orange light from dashboard unless this one is faulty also.What is the control box for? Should I bypass this?.A guy in the breakers suggested it was some sort of regulator to govern required speed.demand of fan.? Another one suggested it was the actual thermostat to switch fan on? Mine has a direct wire from female socket straight into the motor. On an another thread it was suggested remove the plug from the temp sensor on btm hose the fan should come on. My fan does not work.If I put a wire accross the temp sensor wires from the bottom hose will this give the fan the signal to switch on?
As for bleeding the system I have tried several times using the bleed screw and heater on.
keep trying to bleed it. i posted a video. as far as the fan, just buy a new one.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #1199
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Mango, how important is it to go OEM with all of these? I'm building up a set of orders from oembimmerparts and BMA parts, and I've got a few that I can't find an exact P/N match on when I search your list on page 1:

1. Water pump pulley bolts x4 $0.25 ea. Part# 07119904524: Are these also known by a different name? I can't find them
2. A/C tensioner pulley: On BMA I only see Meyle P/N 681 06011 500, is this just a non-OEM one?
3. A/C belt 11287512762: On BMA when I search it returns "serpentine belt" from Conintech P/N 676 06057 038, will this one work?

Thanks for the help!
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #1200
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post

1. Water pump pulley bolts x4 $0.25 ea. Part# 07119904524: Are these also known by a different name? I can't find them
2. A/C tensioner pulley: On BMA I only see Meyle P/N 681 06011 500, is this just a non-OEM one?
3. A/C belt 11287512762: On BMA when I search it returns "serpentine belt" from Conintech P/N 676 06057 038, will this one work?
1) Bolts not that critical. Most reuse with no problem.

2) I believe you'll need to look for an INA pulley.

3) That is the correct belt.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump