E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Glenn Beck delivers keynote speech at NRA convention

How many more clues do you need before you realize that this is an ideological, political organization, not out there to defend your rights, but to exploit your fears for political and monetary gain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I would love to hear what Busa would have done
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I'd like to know how Busa would handle this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
What are we to do?
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 05-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
But, but, if they take away 100 round clips, then they'll take away our right to free speech, privacy, and maybe voting.

I can only imagine how desperate and frightened the NRA is to have Beck do the keynote address. Poor guys.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I support gun owners, gun rights, etc. I've grown up around guns, own multiple guns and am a regular at my local range.

With that said, I am not a fan of the NRA and do not plan on ever being a member.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
But, but, if they take away 100 round clips, then they'll take away our right to free speech, privacy, and maybe voting.

I can only imagine how desperate and frightened the NRA is to have Beck do the keynote address. Poor guys.
Your logic is horribly flawed. If you can infringe the second amendment then you can infringe the first, or any others.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Having Glenn Beck speak at an NRA convention means that the organization is out to fawk over it's members? How about the NAACP having Sharpton or Jackson speak at virtually all of their events? Will you make similar comments about the intention of that organization? After all, they are equally absurd with their biases.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I guess a slippery-slope worldview difference.

The NRA and their adherents see their freedom primarily coming from the point of a gun, i.e., from brute force and blunt threat of physical violence upon "others," including fellow Americans who they feel don't comport with their particular interpretations of the Constitution and the laws that flow from it.

This, in stark contrast to those who see our democracy coming primarily from the point of a pen, i.e., reason, pursuasion, the discourse of ideas amongst fellow Americans through a representative government. This is what creates and constitutes a government and democracy actually worth protecting.

If one feels the need to impose their political views and ideologies upon the majority of their fellow Americans by arms and violence, perhaps its those repellent political views and ideologies that need examination.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Your logic is horribly flawed. If you can infringe the second amendment then you can infringe the first, or any others.
Not as badly flawed as yours, I'm sorry to say....

First, the jury is still out, you know, on whether non-well-ordered-militia people are entitled to guns, but setting that aside for a moment...

Any right can be infringed. Infringing one doesn't make it any more or less likely that others will be infringed. Where was the clamor about the Patriot Act infringing many citizens' right to privacy from NRA supporters?

And, fyi, I don't oppose people having guns for hunting, personal protection, or just for target practice, but none of those things require a 100 clip magazine. You're not losing any right at all...not yet anyway.

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
First, the jury is still out, you know, on whether non-well-ordered-militia people are entitled to guns, but setting that aside for a moment...
It is?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
SCOTUS had to rule on it to explain this to laymen.
2nd Amendment has always been an INDIVIDUAL right not tied to a militia.
Heller vs. DC

Quote:
Where was the clamor about the Patriot Act infringing many citizens' right to privacy from NRA supporters?
Millions of people including the NRA were/are against it

Quote:
And, fyi, I don't oppose people having guns for hunting, personal protection, or just for target practice, but none of those things require a 100 clip magazine. You're not losing any right at all...not yet anyway.
So, you're a "but" guy?

"I have plenty of black friends and I'm all for their rights, but they should use different water fountains"

WTF is a "100 clip, magazine"? You took the politicians gun 101 course, huh? lol

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-06-2013 at 12:05 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

The NRA and their adherents see their freedom primarily coming from the point of a gun, i.e., from brute force and blunt threat of physical violence upon "others," including fellow Americans who they feel don't comport with their particular interpretations of the Constitution and the laws that flow from it.

This, in stark contrast to those who see our democracy coming primarily from the point of a pen, i.e., reason, pursuasion, the discourse of ideas amongst fellow Americans through a representative government. This is what creates and constitutes a government and democracy actually worth protecting.

If one feels the need to impose their political views and ideologies upon the majority of their fellow Americans by arms and violence, perhaps its those repellent political views and ideologies that need examination.
Well said

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

I disagree, I see us being attacked on both fronts.

Point of a weapon from criminals on the street and point of a pen from criminals in DC. When the ideals of both those two criminals elements align and feed each other, we have what you have present day.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-06-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:

There is a difference between individuals and the organization's stance. There are plenty of uber-libs that oppose the PA as well, that are not NRA supporters.

It is clear that the NRA opposed Rand Paul's PA amendment in 2011.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 05-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
It is?
Yep. A quick wiki search will show that challenges have been made to the Supreme Court from 1875 to as recently as 2010. The court has been divided. So, I can't argue that you're not allowed guns, per se, but that many Supreme Court justices have argued that the preamble to the Second Amendment was put there for a reason.

Everyone who wants their gun seemingly conveniently ignores the preamble.

Anyway, yes, the jury is still out, since in today's context, we don't have a well-ordered militia...just the military, and it has all the weapons it needs pretty much.

So, it's not just me...there are some Supreme Court Justices who think similarly...just not enough of them!

Please 'friend' me!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Yep. A quick wiki search will show that challenges have been made to the Supreme Court from 1875 to as recently as 2010. The court has been divided. So, I can't argue that you're not allowed guns, per se, but that many Supreme Court justices have argued that the preamble to the Second Amendment was put there for a reason.

Anyway, yes, the jury is still out, since in today's context, we don't have a well-ordered militia...just the military, and it has all the weapons it needs pretty much.

So, it's not just me...there are some Supreme Court Justices who think similarly...just not enough of them!
lol, this is your funniest bit yet!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Not as badly flawed as yours, I'm sorry to say....

Any right can be infringed. Infringing one doesn't make it any more or less likely that others will be infringed. Where was the clamor about the Patriot Act infringing many citizens' right to privacy from NRA supporters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
It is?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Isn't there an ammo shortage?

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #18
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
I don't need the NRA to support gun rights
Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:

You're not alone in your education on this subject..... lost

The jury isn't still out, the researcher's light bulb is

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-06-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
dmax

Quote:
SCOTUS had to rule on it to explain this to laymen.
2nd Amendment has always been an INDIVIDUAL right not tied to a militia.
Heller vs. DC

So, you're a "but" guy?

"I have plenty of black friends and I'm all for their rights, but they should use different water fountains"

WTF is a "100 clip, magazine"? You took the politicians gun 101 course, huh? lol
Sorry...100 round magazine...sorry. How can you avoid 'buts'? Without 'buts' or exceptions/allowances the practice of law would be very simple. Heller had four opposing justices, you know. SCOTUS had to rule to explain it to those four too...not just laymen.

As far as your black friends, when was it that SCOTUS had to explain to the laymen that they're people accorded the same rights as any citizen has? 1965

1965 that SCOTUS said black people can vote freely. Some still don't get it...like those states trying to institute the Voter ID laws recently. Just saying. It's 'currently' settled law, but I don't think all the settling has been done with the Second Amendment.

I should really stay out of Second Amendment/Glennnn Beck threads!

Please 'friend' me!

Last edited by dmax; 05-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.