E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Have you ever used Seafoam?
Yes, I highly recommend it. 51 36.96%
Yes, But I dont recommend it. 7 5.07%
No, But I have thought about it. 56 40.58%
No, I would never do it. 9 6.52%
No, I have mixed feelings about it. 16 11.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #1001
hitmanre

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Seafoam?

Okay so im tempted on using this seafoam stuff in my engine. but after seeing this:

Im a lil paranoid about it. Has anyone actually had problems with it?
hitmanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1002
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Question is: was it doing that before attempting to use the seafoam. Maybe that's why the seafoam was being used, to try and find a quick solution for that knocking/tapping.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #1003
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Threads merged.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #1004
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanre View Post
Okay so im tempted on using this seafoam stuff in my engine. but after seeing this:

Im a lil paranoid about it. Has anyone actually had problems with it?
Why would that video make you paranoid. That video has nothing to do with seafoam

2002 BMW 330i

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #1005
FreeAtLast

When I sea foam my 2000 BMW 323i. It was very cold outside and we heated the engine and put the sea foam in. Turn off the car, waited 15 mins and when we turned the car back on, there was no smoke. I drove it and after 2 mins all the smoke started to come out. When I would floor it there was no power and it had no pulling ability like it did before. But after about 15-25 mins of driving all the smoke left, the engines was strong and pulled.hard and reved right, and the engine light turned off. Everything has since been good from there. But till then I still don't know why no smoke came out in the start. But that's the closest I've been to having a problem. My car also has 328000kms and it works perfectly fine before and after the sea foam.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #1006
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
When I sea foam my 2000 BMW 323i. It was very cold outside and we heated the engine and put the sea foam in. Turn off the car, waited 15 mins and when we turned the car back on, there was no smoke. I drove it and after 2 mins all the smoke started to come out. When I would floor it there was no power and it had no pulling ability like it did before. But after about 15-25 mins of driving all the smoke left, the engines was strong and pulled.hard and reved right, and the engine light turned off. Everything has since been good from there. But till then I still don't know why no smoke came out in the start. But that's the closest I've been to having a problem. My car also has 328000kms and it works perfectly fine before and after the sea foam.
You're talking about Seafoam in vacuum lines. Which always works. White smoke IS NOT carbon burning off. It is the Seafoam burning. But the controversy seems to revolve around crankcase usage. I still say it is fine and will be doing it as soon as I'm ready for an oil change

2002 BMW 330i

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #1007
FreeAtLast

Yeah the vacuum lines. I still have 2/3 of my sea foam left and im waiting for next oil change as well. But doesn't putting it in the vacuum lines help that much because I didn't feel that much of a difference. Also, where is the best place to use seafoam.

Last edited by FreeAtLast; 02-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #1008
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
Yeah the vacuum lines. I still have 2/3 of my sea foam left and im waiting for next oil change as well. But doesn't putting it in the vacuum lines help that much because I didn't feel that much of a difference. Also, where is the best place to use seafoam.
Overall? In your gas tank and vacuum lines.

2002 BMW 330i

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #1009
hitmanre

Seafoam fixed my idling issue where the rpm would bounce up and down a little bit
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1010
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
I like the haters on the youtube replies. "...f-ers hate the world with all that smoke and need to die a slow painfull death..."

dude probably just got back from a 300 mile trek in his kayak laden SUV where he burned a tree to keep warm while he camped out... just sayin'

I'm on the fence with this... my car's running too good to chance it I think.

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #1011
bparka12

My Ride: 330ci
I have used seafoam multiple times on multiple vehicles and never seen any problems as others have described above. I have used one bottle in my crankcase drove about 30ish miles and changed the oil. After 1000 miles I have not seen any problems or performance changes in my car. The only thing i have not been too excited about in seafoam crankcase treatment is the "foam" residue on my dipstick after the treatment. I have read that there is water contained in seafoam but i took my chances and some of the water was absorbed by the oil making it milky. I have nothing else negative to say about my experience in the crankcase... 330ci with 130k on the clock, i use Mobile one 0w40 every 6500 miles with mann filter and problem free.

I also have used the seafoam in an aerosol can as directed and revved the crap out of the engine with no sign of negative performance. The only thing you have to fear is messing up the upstream O2 sensor from all the crap hitting it... i recommend getting a O2 bung plug and pull the sensors out before putting seafoam in the intake... sure it will throw a code but just reset it. Let me know if any of you have any questions.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #1012
ayy_tvo

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Seafoam problem..

I've been reading this forum for a while now and now I feel as though I should finally post, so . Anyway, my 2001 330ci has been acting up. When I first bought it there was a very distinctive second gear shake in my transmission that a shop in Irvine diagnosed as the flex disc, and while they were replacing it they told my my car was running rich and I am having a low catalytic converter efficiency. I replaced one of the o2 sensors (pre-cat) and the fuel filter a couple weeks after and I'm planning to replace the other o2 sensor this weekend. Regardless, this service (fuel filter + o2 sensor, which was completely white) was performed around a month ago and my car was running acceptably, that is, until I added in Seafoam through the brake vacuum line. My car got noticeably faster to the point where I have a poop eating grin on my face because this IS what a BMW is supposed to feel like (I imagine), but it started stalling everytime I was in neutral or had the clutch in. I looked up solutions and I replaced the ICV and the camshaft position sensor (which helped massively, the car does not stall out about 80% of the time now), and I am about to replace the MAF this weekend. I know the MAF is a problem since when I have it connected, the car starts the RPM surge where it erratically dips and climbs like it is on a cycle, yet when I have it disconnected it will idle very well (with the exception of reverse where you basically have to ride the clutch and give it lots of gas, heavy throttle is the common denominator for my stalling out). The problem is much better now, but it has not completely gone away, that's why I posted today..

An OBDII diagnostic scan (courtesy of Torque, the android app) pulled 7 codes. They are as follows:
p0313 (misfire w/ low fuel)
p0102 (mass or volume air flow circuit low input)
p0171 (bank 1 lean)
p0174 (bank 2 lean)
p1190
p1192
p0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold)

Could this be a vacuum leak? When I took out the ICV and replaced it I noticed that the intake boots had no visible cracks on them, in fact they looked perfectly fine; almost new in fact. There is one final thing that I should mention, when I start up my car, lots of smoke will come out of the exhaust especially when cold and I know that smoke comes out of the exhaust when cold, but it would still come out 15 minutes after the car had been running, it also seems to eat oil because the yellow oil light comes on ever so slightly when I turn on the car sometimes. Dipstick analysis showed that the car had used a quart of oil in about 1000 miles. Regardless, the smoke issue and heavy stalling issue only happened AFTER administering the Seafoam. My car was running okay before the Seafoam, the engine occasionally stalled out when I put the car into neutral (such as when coasting to a light) but not to this degree. Is the smoke indicative of a bad PCV/CCV? The exhaust smoke smells sweet, or maybe I am imagining things. The lean condition of both banks is leading me to believe that there is an air leak somewhere but I don't know what to look for now. If you guys could help me start with a place to look for, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
ayy_tvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #1013
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
@bparka12 - First Seafoam does not contain water and the milky oil in the crankcase is not from the Seafoam. I see this poster lives in UT. Chances are you have a bad thermostat and you make short trips in the Winter.

I have run Seafoam in a cars crankcase for 2500 miles due to crank case build up. Worked great, not bad side effects, this was also a turbo motor and after the oil change that Seafoam was used the engine oil stayed clean and clear for a much longer period of time.

Suggest you read the 3rd link in my signature. You will see a lot of links that talk about problems with moisture build up in the crankcase. It is not a result of using Seafoam.

@ayytvo - You really need to hold off on replacing the MAF for now. You likely have many other problems. Suggest you read the first 3 links below in my signature. You likely need to solve a lot of vacuum leaks, you may need a few O2 sensors, they are consumable and should really be replaced by around 75k miles in my opinion to keep the engine running the best it can, manufacturers suggest every 100k miles under optimum circumstances.

If you plan on O2 sensors, Amazon for around $50 each for Bosch as long as they are not 6 pin wideband sensors.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 02-13-2013 at 08:23 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1014
bparka12

My Ride: 330ci
...my thermostat was changed less than 6k miles ago and i always make sure im at opperating temperature before i shut the engine down. Its also in a heated garage at home and an underground heated parking garage at work. It also has a brand new cold climate oil separator ... but thanks for noticing! :sly:

Sent from my Note II using Bimmer App

Last edited by bparka12; 02-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
bparka12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #1015
nihad05

My Ride: E92 335i

do you guys know what this is? I got it from a buddy who purchased it at our local bmw dealer. They use this stuff? is it the same as seafoam
Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #1016
nihad05

do you guys know what this is? I got it from a buddy who purchased it at our local bmw dealer. They use this stuff? is it the same as seafoam
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1017
ejp2fast

My Ride: ZHP 6MT
could someone that is familiar with all the posts please summarize the 1000+ posts on this thread.... thanks.

Last edited by ejp2fast; 05-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.
ejp2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #1018
nihad05

wake up people!?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #1019
nihad05

anyone?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #1020
ihsnshaik

My Ride: bmw e90
I have a 2004 BMW 325xi with 150k.

Car stalls on cold start sometimes in the morning but most of the idle very hard idle or a slight bad idle.

I ended up finding a bad Secondary Air Pump hose and replaced that but I seafoamed the car with the hose.

At startup at random days the car smokes still which pisses me off but when I drive it its normal doesnt smoke.

All these are on a cold start and is top notch 5 minutes after till the whole day. Even at warm start ups its still normal.

What the hell is going on over here im frustrated. Don't tell me ICV/ throttle body MAf etc.

My next guess is Vanos seals but not 100 percent sure if this would solve it.

Biggest concern is why is my car still smoking with the seafoam after 150miles after at cold or warm start up.

Tags
blue, cleaner, dmax, engine, fuel, gas, injector, injectors, intake, seafoam, smoke, suction, tank, white